Zeppelinkarte
user-online.png
I'm in the Hall of Fame!

Join DateFeb 2012LocationOceanside, CAPosts221

icon1.png

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Above is a Valencia 3 piece slant. It would be interesting to see more reviews of the razors mentioned in this thread beyond the Merkur 37 and 39 C and the German Bakelite. Understandably these are the most readily available and therefore most discussed. But members have Fasans, Eros, Ibsen, Apollo, Cowboy, Walbusch, and many others that could be reviewed unless they are box queens.

The Valencia was manufactured in France in nickel plated brass. I assume sometime in the 1930s. It weighs 40 grams which is on the light side. Dimensionally it is almost identical to a Gillette single ring in terms of the size of the head and handle. It looks very aggressive with its open combs and substantial slant but is an efficient surprisingly mild shaver. A very intuitive angle quickly found through sound and feel the Valencia goes about its business removing stubble. The feel is very similar to a Gillette New Improved head or the Muhle 2010 open comb, not the R41 or Fatip which I find more difficult. In terms of comparison to a safety bar it would be akin to a Weber. I did not notice any difference in with, across or against the grain. All of it was good and the razor felt comfortable everywhere on my face. This was surprising given my expectations. It was like most members experience with slants....comfortable, mild and extremely efficient. I used Coloniali Rhubarb cream bowl lathered followed by witch hazel and Myrsol F. Had absolutely no razor burn or irritation of any kind. A different handle may even make it better. It is light with its normal handle but being 3 piece would be able to utilize others. The head is sturdy enough to accept something like the Ikon Bulldog or a UFO short Kaiser. Valencias come up every so often on the forums or eBay. Would definitely recommend it.​

I started the Long Open Comb March with the iconic GEM Open Comb Micromatic. True to form it gave a very close, long lasting shave. True to form, it is also a fickle lady and gave me a few love bites to know she does not like being ignored or relegated to anything less than first class status!

Yet, here we are, more than 12 hours after shaving, and I am still clean shaven and smooth. The razor had a fresh Pella stainless blade, and I used TOBS St. James cream.

Newb here, i have an OC question. just recently joined this group and i have an EJ89, that works real well, i have also purchased a couple TTO's but have yet to get a good shave from them. Im thinking about trying an OC. I don't want to spend a lot, what should i be looking at, the Merkur 25 looks nice and is reasonably priced, or should i look at a vintage gillette OC? If so, what price should I expect to pay?

Newb here, i have an OC question. just recently joined this group and i have an EJ89, that works real well, i have also purchased a couple TTO's but have yet to get a good shave from them. Im thinking about trying an OC. I don't want to spend a lot, what should i be looking at, the Merkur 25 looks nice and is reasonably priced, or should i look at a vintage gillette OC? If so, what price should I expect to pay?

New Merkur is going to be the easiest to acquire. I recommend the 41C. You can go vintage with a NEW (ball-end or bar-handle) and it will work great; just make sure to inspect the razor before you buy it. Lots of handle cracks can happen, especially with the ball-end and thinner handles.

I used my Cadet TP-01SS with a Feather blade. Later this month I will use my Merkurs as well.

Attachments

• $Cadet.jpg
    $Cadet.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 147
  • $Open Comb.jpg
    $Open Comb.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 149
$100_6527.jpg
Wanted to start the month out with you all....

I used my Old Type, which is my Only OC, tonight. It is So mild for how it looks.

I wish you All well, this Month, I hope you enjoy each and every shave!

I'm in!
First shave of March - starting with Merkur 1904 Open Comb, combined with green tub Proraso for Croap Month.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Open Combs cover lots of ground, today a Frankenrazor with a modern EJ Horn Handle sporting the head of an Old Type ..

$IMG_6061.jpg

Open Comb March started with the following:

1905 Double Ring
Astra SP (1)
QCS Briar
SOC two band
Stephans 320

$IMG_2154.jpg

I will then start rotating through the rest of the OCs......

$IMG_2373-resize.jpg

What is this RAD people talk about? :001_smile

Reluctantly I used the Fatip Piccolo. Pretty good shave with a Rapira SS, TOBS Jermyn St cream and Vulfix 2235s brush. I thought about it yesterday but stayed with the Progress. I will try and keep with the Fatip for as long as I get a good shave. Not used the Fatip much though.

Merkur 41C, Gillette Thai Super Thin, Semogue 830, AoS tallow sandalwood soap, DR Harris sandalwood AS. Doesn't get much better than that for me at the moment.

Top Bottom