What's new

Opal F200 restoration in progress

This was a pretty cool find at a local antique shop. Apparently, there's a couple of guys who beat me to razors and brushes in the stores, but I beat them to this one. :001_tt2:

Anyway, it's an Opal F200 according to the stamping on the bottom. Also, made with "Real French Bristle," whatever that means.

It was pretty dirty, but didn't have any major scratches in either the plastic on the bottom or the wood on top. After I got it home, I trimmed off what was left of the hair and drilled out the knot. The hole was a little uneven on top, so I used a Dremel with a sanding head to more or less level it out on the top, as well as get some old glue off the wood.

The plastic was grimy and actually smelled a little funky, so I used a washcloth with a little Dawn. It worked better than I expected, but I still took a little 3M rubbing compound to the whole thing. Now all I've got left to do is set a knot! I'm thinking about a 20mm TGN Silvertip Grade A will top this off nicely!

Anyway, here are the pictures:

Before

$Opal before.jpg

After

$Opal after.jpg

I think I'm going to drop a 20mm TGN Silvertip Grade A in there. It's actually a pretty substantial handle, so I want something that will more or less balance out on the size of it.

Now I'm just curious if anyone happens to know anything about Opal brushes. I can't find any information on them. It seems difficult enough to date Ever Ready brushes and there's some kind of mechanism to track those. With Opals, it seems like no one has any information on them. Why can't brushes have date codes like razors? :p

That's a sweet-looking handle. I love the swirly grain pattern in the wood, and the lucite base is stunning. Congratulations!

wow! i didn't realize the translucent part could be polished up like that. i am going to have revisit the antique shop.

great job.

v.

As soon as I get a knot set in there, I'll make sure to post a couple more photos. I'm excited to see the end product!

Question for the experts here:

The size of the hole is big enough to squeeze a nickel in it. A nickel, according to Wikipedia is 21.21 mm around.

With that, should I drop a 22 mm knot in there?

Wow! It's amazing how something you find in an antique store can look like it's on its last legs, only to see it brought back to a state of beauty!

But that's enough delaying, this is what you came to see!

$complete.jpg

As you can see, the brush cleaned up quite nicely. After widening the hole just a touch and deepening it, I set a 22mm TGN Silvertip Grade A in there. Now, how does she lather?

$lather.jpg

Like a champ, that's how! First time, didn't even have to break her in really. I'm sure this will only get better, though.

So what about bloom?

$bloom!.jpg

Lots of bloom. I like the shape it ultimately gives the brush. Just substantial enough to really balance it out.

Either way, this project has really been a joy. In the last photo, you also see tomorrow's SOTD!

But really, thanks to all the wonderful folks who put together tutorials on how to restore a brush. I never would have though I could have such a great quality tool at a low cost if it weren't for the guidance other threads have provided here on B&B! Here's to many more.

Next project? A brush for someone who's not expecting a gift...

Last edited:
Congratulations on a gorgeous restoration! :001_tt1:

There's nothing like the satisfaction of taking an old, worn-out, nasty-looking brush and turning it into a beautiful and highly-functional shaving tool. :thumbup1:

Wow, that is so pretty it hurts to look at. Just perfect! I suspect that the whole thing is made of celluloid. Did the green smell like Vick's when you polished it? You have done well.

Top Bottom