What's new

Oneblade Core First Impressions

I've shaved the past two days with my R41 after a week or so with the CoreV2. The R41 was 2 passes BBS. The CoreV2 was 4 passes DFS+. I may keep the V2, but day to day shaving will not be with the Core.

I've shaved the past two days with my R41 after a week or so with the CoreV2. The R41 was 2 passes BBS. The CoreV2 was 4 passes DFS+. I may keep the V2, but day to day shaving will not be with the Core.
I know what you mean - I shaved with a straight yesterday after 3 days of using the Core v2 and it was a real relief!

My V2 finally arrived yesterday. DHL are a waste of space!
Anyway, good first shave this morning. Not great, but after hacking myself up yesterday with the Chinese shavette I wanted something milder today. Can't say I noticed a huge difference between the Core V1 and V2, but a decent first shave.

Yeah, I find it's a 'decent' shave, and on occasion I can pull off BBS with my Core V2, but for some reason not consistently. Seems like if I have two days of growth, it shaves better than if it's a single day's growth. My other gripe is that it doesn't pass smoothly using some soaps or creams, and sort of skips.

Also doesn't get along well if you use pre-shave oil, or at least not with the Dove for Men oil I tried from my stash before they discontinued it. Only use the oil if I'm not showering first to soften the whiskers, but thought, hey, it might stop the skip and provide a smooth guide....wrong.

I requested an RMA for my V2 earlier this morning.

I would say that definition makes all razors that do not use a permanent blade "Disposable" razors, certainly all cartridge razors. By extension that could extend to all disposable blade razors too. I have always figured a disposable razor was one in which head and handle were not readily separable and were thrown away as a unit.

It cost me $2 ... at that price it's a disposable to me :) In fact I ended up with 10 of them (paid $20) so I can keep them in different bags. I agree, it's a cartridge razor if you take it literally, but it's at Bic prices, so to me it's a disposable :)

Well, looks like my love affair with my OneBlade Core v1 might be (hopefully temporarily) curtailed.

I broke it :001_huh:

[...quote shaved back...]

Maybe I'm just unlucky. Let's see what OB say. But in the meantime I've ordered a Razorock Black Hawk to try...

So, an update. It's been a busy time since I posted that. Firstly, I love the Razorock Black Hawk. It's a great size for me - I don't have large hands, and it feels "right" in my hand. It's a testament to it that even though I was, well, a little inebriated <cough> when I tried it the first time, it worked out well for me with Feather ProGuard blades - it's definitely a keeper, and will be going in to my rotation.

full

But back to the OneBlade. I have to say, I have absolutely no qualms in recommending OneBlade as a company to anyone - their support has been exemplary. Dominic responded to my sob-story and offered me a free v2 replacement, and $50 off the Genesis if I ever decided to upgrade. A few days later, a little box with a bubble-wrapped v2 arrived and I gave it a shot. First impressions, having scrutinized it, the only difference physically I can see are some posts inside the head for the blade to lock to. It seems to weigh the same in my hand. The head does feel stiffer though - I'm wondering if they're using different springs in it. I tried it with the Feather FH-10's that OneBlade provide, as well as a Feather FAS-10 (0.245mm) and KAI BEST0.25. Personally I prefer the FAS-10's, they're a little more aggressive than the FH-10's but not in a way that I find unpleasant. The KAI's are good too, and I only paid $11.40 (+ $10 shipping) for 50 of them, but for me personally, the FAS-10's just edged them - the FAS-10's were $7.88 (free shipping from Japan!) for 30 blades. I'm using Mystic Water shave soap, and usually shave either in the shower, or straight after a shower, with plenty of hot face towels. All 3 blades gave me a DFS in a couple of passes, but none of them would seem to last well beyond a couple of shaves, even after I stropped. I tried a third shave with them all, and it took three passes to get me close to where I'd like to be.

Side note: I actually fixed my v1 CORE! It involved placing a vice under the head, with a wooden shim to hold it flat, against where the head pivots on the body, aligning the vice with the base of the handle, and then closing the vice tightly - that forced the head back in, with the spring, and it works. It's not as smooth at pivoting any more, but it does work. It's going in my emergency razor bin in case I need it, but I don't think it'll be coming out because...

...well, I kinda did something a little silly, and took Dominic up on his $50 off the cost of a Genesis offer...

full

I love it.

Here's the thing - I'm not what you'd call a "happy" shaver. I started shaving as a wee kid, making all the mistakes we all do. For some reason my father and brother never took it upon themselves to teach me how to shave, so I did all the dire things you could imagine in learning and experimenting. For years I used (shudder) a Braun electric razor, but was never happy with it, so then I went back to cartridges. The more blades the better. Then a few years ago I went back to DE, basically a newbie once again, and since then I've tried many different razors, and many different blades, from disposables to cartridges, to single edge, DE, and even dallied for a little while with a straight razor, but I never really enjoyed shaving. It was a necessary evil - I can't stand growing a beard, I get too itchy and cranky.

Then I tried the OneBlade CORE, and quite honestly, it just worked - I could get a DFS easily, and with a little effort a full on BBS, and I actually found it enjoyable and loved experimenting with the different blades. So given that, I thought "screw it", I can always return it if I don't like it, and dropped 350 very hard earned dollars on the Genesis.

I'm not returning it.

Is it worth $350? Probably not to be honest. It is an amazing piece of engineering - the precision is way beyond what I would expect in something as "mundane" as a razor (I mean that in the nicest possible way), the weight feels spot on to me, the size is perfect for my hand, the blades click in to the head in a way that the CORE doesn't - you can immediately tell the blade is in there correctly, even without looking. But the profit margin on this thing is probably huge. It comes in a lovely package - the presentation is befitting an instrument of this cost, though I think the leather case is a bit big to use - I'd have liked a nice travel case included at this price as well.

full

Is it worth $350 to me? Yes. Absolutely. Why? Because since I got it, I've shaved every day, even though I work from home and don't have to, and I've done that because I really, really, really like it. I've only tried it with the FH-10 so far, but it almost feels like an extension of my hand. I'm not trying to sell it to you - this thing is without a doubt a hard sell: it's expensive. It's the definition of a luxury item in the same way that an Aston Martin or a Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac is.

But I want to use it. To me, that makes it worth it. I think it shaves easier than the CORE v2 does, and with the Mystic Water I'm getting very close to my BBS nirvana and I think I'll be there soon. Sure, the blades are only lasting a couple of shaves, but I'm enjoying using it, and to me, I think that's why this thing exists. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the other blades in it.

I'll keep rotating other razors in, but this is now my daily driver of preference, and heaven forbid if I lose it or damage it or just can't find it, I'll fall back on the CORE v2 and then the Razorock Black Hawk.

So, an update. It's been a busy time since I posted that. Firstly, I love the Razorock Black Hawk. It's a great size for me - I don't have large hands, and it feels "right" in my hand. It's a testament to it that even though I was, well, a little inebriated <cough> when I tried it the first time, it worked out well for me with Feather ProGuard blades - it's definitely a keeper, and will be going in to my rotation.

full

But back to the OneBlade. I have to say, I have absolutely no qualms in recommending OneBlade as a company to anyone - their support has been exemplary. Dominic responded to my sob-story and offered me a free v2 replacement, and $50 off the Genesis if I ever decided to upgrade. A few days later, a little box with a bubble-wrapped v2 arrived and I gave it a shot. First impressions, having scrutinized it, the only difference physically I can see are some posts inside the head for the blade to lock to. It seems to weigh the same in my hand. The head does feel stiffer though - I'm wondering if they're using different springs in it. I tried it with the Feather FH-10's that OneBlade provide, as well as a Feather FAS-10 (0.245mm) and KAI BEST0.25. Personally I prefer the FAS-10's, they're a little more aggressive than the FH-10's but not in a way that I find unpleasant. The KAI's are good too, and I only paid $11.40 (+ $10 shipping) for 50 of them, but for me personally, the FAS-10's just edged them - the FAS-10's were $7.88 (free shipping from Japan!) for 30 blades. I'm using Mystic Water shave soap, and usually shave either in the shower, or straight after a shower, with plenty of hot face towels. All 3 blades gave me a DFS in a couple of passes, but none of them would seem to last well beyond a couple of shaves, even after I stropped. I tried a third shave with them all, and it took three passes to get me close to where I'd like to be.

Side note: I actually fixed my v1 CORE! It involved placing a vice under the head, with a wooden shim to hold it flat, against where the head pivots on the body, aligning the vice with the base of the handle, and then closing the vice tightly - that forced the head back in, with the spring, and it works. It's not as smooth at pivoting any more, but it does work. It's going in my emergency razor bin in case I need it, but I don't think it'll be coming out because...

...well, I kinda did something a little silly, and took Dominic up on his $50 off the cost of a Genesis offer...

full

I love it.

Here's the thing - I'm not what you'd call a "happy" shaver. I started shaving as a wee kid, making all the mistakes we all do. For some reason my father and brother never took it upon themselves to teach me how to shave, so I did all the dire things you could imagine in learning and experimenting. For years I used (shudder) a Braun electric razor, but was never happy with it, so then I went back to cartridges. The more blades the better. Then a few years ago I went back to DE, basically a newbie once again, and since then I've tried many different razors, and many different blades, from disposables to cartridges, to single edge, DE, and even dallied for a little while with a straight razor, but I never really enjoyed shaving. It was a necessary evil - I can't stand growing a beard, I get too itchy and cranky.

Then I tried the OneBlade CORE, and quite honestly, it just worked - I could get a DFS easily, and with a little effort a full on BBS, and I actually found it enjoyable and loved experimenting with the different blades. So given that, I thought "screw it", I can always return it if I don't like it, and dropped 350 very hard earned dollars on the Genesis.

I'm not returning it.

Is it worth $350? Probably not to be honest. It is an amazing piece of engineering - the precision is way beyond what I would expect in something as "mundane" as a razor (I mean that in the nicest possible way), the weight feels spot on to me, the size is perfect for my hand, the blades click in to the head in a way that the CORE doesn't - you can immediately tell the blade is in there correctly, even without looking. But the profit margin on this thing is probably huge. It comes in a lovely package - the presentation is befitting an instrument of this cost, though I think the leather case is a bit big to use - I'd have liked a nice travel case included at this price as well.

full

Is it worth $350 to me? Yes. Absolutely. Why? Because since I got it, I've shaved every day, even though I work from home and don't have to, and I've done that because I really, really, really like it. I've only tried it with the FH-10 so far, but it almost feels like an extension of my hand. I'm not trying to sell it to you - this thing is without a doubt a hard sell: it's expensive. It's the definition of a luxury item in the same way that an Aston Martin or a Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac is.

But I want to use it. To me, that makes it worth it. I think it shaves easier than the CORE v2 does, and with the Mystic Water I'm getting very close to my BBS nirvana and I think I'll be there soon. Sure, the blades are only lasting a couple of shaves, but I'm enjoying using it, and to me, I think that's why this thing exists. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the other blades in it.

I'll keep rotating other razors in, but this is now my daily driver of preference, and heaven forbid if I lose it or damage it or just can't find it, I'll fall back on the CORE v2 and then the Razorock Black Hawk.
Welcome to the Genesis Club, lol, it's an amazing piece of razor, still is my daily favorite driver.

full

full

I love it.

I'm not returning it.

full

im glad you enjoyed the oneblade as much as I did. I have to say I was skeptical about sharpologist etc. writing such stark reviews because they seem like paid reviews etc. but the oneblade truly is the most consistently irritation free shave I ever had in my life. It's the only razor I can go across the grain with , and results in one of the few BBS shaves I can get.

I have the Core V1 and am very happy with it. I decided not to return it for the V2 because I get very good shaves with it. I have not had the problems loading like some people have, but I do wish the spring in the head was weaker so the head will pivot easier. I have to push pretty hard to get the head to flex while shaving and it makes the experience less comfortable, so I don't use my Core like it is supposed to be used. I use it more like a standard safety razor without the pressure. I do 3 passes and a bit of clean up on my neck in all directions to get a DFS almost BBS on some areas. If I did that with a cartridge razor I would have bad irritation. I can get a little closer with my DE safety razors with less passes, but have to be real careful on my neck or get weepers and redness. I feel like it's worth it to me to have a great shave and feel smooth without irritation rather than push for a slightly smoother shave and risk my neck becoming broke out with red bumps. I seem to do better with a de safety razor or straight razor when I don't use them every day. With the Core I can use it everyday and always have a close comfortable shave.

I am thinking about purchasing a Core V2 just to see how much better the shave would be. I think it's a good idea to have a spare around for traveling or in case I accidentally brake my original Core. I would love to get a Genesis, but not for $400. I have been waiting to see if Oneblade sticks with what they have in the Core V2 or if they will try and tweak it again. I will probably hold off a little longer on it. Also, can anyone tell me that has used V1 and V2, does the head flex easier on the V2? I thought I remember reading that Oneblade was going to make the head a little easier to pivot, but not sure.

i have been happily using an above the tie kronos R1 for the past 5 years on a daily basis....love it.

but recently i have been web surfing and came across above the tie copper windsor, razorock black hawk, oneblade core and genesis and supply razor injector razor.

all these other choices seem available now....am i missing out? seems the razors have gotten pricey since i last got my last kronos which at the time i couldnt believe i spent $150 on a razor.

The Black Hawk and Supply injector razors are reasonably priced for all metal razors by current standards, even compared to what you spent for the Kronos. I have DE and SE razors dating back to well before WW1 in addition to many of the modern ones and am not really convinced that the new ones are noticeably better overall than the best of the oldies from Gem, Star, JA Henckels, CV Heljestrand and Gillette. Some of those date back to 1906 or so. After all the old safety razors had to compete with skilled barbers wielding straight razors dozens of times a day.

I have the Core V1 and am very happy with it. I decided not to return it for the V2 because I get very good shaves with it. I have not had the problems loading like some people have, but I do wish the spring in the head was weaker so the head will pivot easier. I have to push pretty hard to get the head to flex while shaving and it makes the experience less comfortable, so I don't use my Core like it is supposed to be used. I use it more like a standard safety razor without the pressure. I do 3 passes and a bit of clean up on my neck in all directions to get a DFS almost BBS on some areas. If I did that with a cartridge razor I would have bad irritation. I can get a little closer with my DE safety razors with less passes, but have to be real careful on my neck or get weepers and redness. I feel like it's worth it to me to have a great shave and feel smooth without irritation rather than push for a slightly smoother shave and risk my neck becoming broke out with red bumps. I seem to do better with a de safety razor or straight razor when I don't use them every day. With the Core I can use it everyday and always have a close comfortable shave.

I am thinking about purchasing a Core V2 just to see how much better the shave would be. I think it's a good idea to have a spare around for traveling or in case I accidentally brake my original Core. I would love to get a Genesis, but not for $400. I have been waiting to see if Oneblade sticks with what they have in the Core V2 or if they will try and tweak it again. I will probably hold off a little longer on it. Also, can anyone tell me that has used V1 and V2, does the head flex easier on the V2? I thought I remember reading that Oneblade was going to make the head a little easier to pivot, but not sure.
I think myself and a few others have found the v2 head to be a bit more flexible , and a touch more aggressive but not much more aggressive where it leaves my very sensitive skin irritated.

I think myself and a few others have found the v2 head to be a bit more flexible , and a touch more aggressive but not much more aggressive where it leaves my very sensitive skin irritated.
That is what I was hoping for. Mine shaves pretty well. I usually get at least 6 shaves from one blade before having to change. A little more aggressive would be nice as long as there is no irritation.

I have been using my Core V2 off and on since they replaced the V1. In all honesty, the shave is ok, but it takes too many passes, even with a fresh blade. By the 3rd shave my first pass wtg doesn't seem to remove much hair at all. For the cost of these blades, there is no way I will use this religiously when I can get better shaves with cheaper blades in my Weber.

I have been using my Core V2 off and on since they replaced the V1. In all honesty, the shave is ok, but it takes too many passes, even with a fresh blade. By the 3rd shave my first pass wtg doesn't seem to remove much hair at all. For the cost of these blades, there is no way I will use this religiously when I can get better shaves with cheaper blades in my Weber.
I guess this is a perfect case of YMMV. I get a great shave with 3 passes, but this is the only razor I can go across the grain with without irritating my neck in horrible ways, and I get very close shaves.

Sent mine back a few weeks back, as I find using several of my DEs more enjoyable, and can easily get much closer, with fewer passes. I could only reliably get a single good shave from a blade, usually taking 4 passes. If I skipped a day, over a weekend, the shave was actually better, even if the second shave. Perhaps the limited blade exposure works better with longer growth.... Problem is I shave daily for the most part. Third shave wasn't worth the effort.

Used the refund for an Ikon X3 on eBay.

Top Bottom