What's new

One Aftershave or More than One Aftershave?

Since I've been classic wet shaving, I have been using either AOS Sandalwood Aftershave Balm or TOBS Aftershave Balm. This weekend I went out and bought a small bottle of Pinaud Clubman and used it this morning. I love the smell of this stuff. But I notice the consistency between the TOBS and the Pinaud is like night and day. My question is does the Pinaud Clubman moisturize the face in the same way the balm seems to moisturize? My face feels nice but I'm wondering if people use more than one aftershave product after each shave.

I prefer splashes to balms. Balms are generally made to moisturize your skin, so if you like that feeling, balms might be for you.

some balms are too heavy for my face, especially in summer.

usually i will use Nivea balm and an aftershave. (clubman, stirling, or old spice)

but in the summer, all of that feels heavy by the end of the day. so i often just use aftershave then. And wash it off at bedtime.

I have two gels, Afta Fresh and Gillette Sensitive Skin After Shave as well as one balm that being Nivea Sensitive Skin Post Shave Balm. I am yet to try a splash like say Aqua Velva. Maybe I should sometime...

Clubman is a splash that is great for the skin. Long lasting scent at a good price. $947058_593113530733023_236255453_n.jpg

Very different products IME.

My preference runs to splashes (and clubman is a favorite!) After using a splash I may apply a moisturizer if needed. Clearly YMMV!

I use witch hazel followed by an aftershave. That aftershave is a splash 95% of the time and a balm the other 5% (usually in winter). If my face feels dry after shaving, or if I've had a rough shave, that's when I reach for the balm.

Some folks use a splash followed by a balm, and some do the reverse. There are no rules. Use what you like!

I took a look at my TOBS Balm and notice one of the ingredients is witch hazel. Either way, I love them both (TOBS Balm and Pinaud Clubman Lotion) and will find a way to work them both into my routine.

Single product use for me. No balms, just classic splashes like Clubman, AV Ice Blue, Old Spice, Skin Bracer, etc.

Not very often, unless you count an Alum Block as an aftershave product, in which case, every time
Otherwise.
On the rare occasions I use Proraso Green Splash, I'll splash on another aftershave a few minutes later, usually Floid Vigaroso
If I use Varon Dandy Aftershave, I'll often splash on some Varon Dandy Cologne later
Sometimes if I use Williams Expert Aqua Velva, I'll splash on some Ice Blue Classic Aqua Velva just before going out

Funny thing about Pinaud Clubman, if you look at the ingredient list there doesn't appear to be anything there to really moisturizer the skin, however when I use it my skin always feels just like it does when I have used an aftershave with glycerine or propylene glycol. It doesn't moisturize at all like a balm though.

Funny thing about Pinaud Clubman, if you look at the ingredient list there doesn't appear to be anything there to really moisturizer the skin, however when I use it my skin always feels just like it does when I have used an aftershave with glycerine or propylene glycol. It doesn't moisturize at all like a balm though.

I agree. And am amazed how good my face feels after. It's all in the secret sauce.

After trying all sorts of different products, combinations, routines etc.. I've just decided to stick with splashes. Lot's of splashes! Every shave now just gets an ice cold water rinse at the end, let it air dry whilst I clean up and then a massive splash of whichever I've picked for the day.

95% of the time it is just AS splash for me. On rare occasion when I feel my face needs a little moisture or extra soothing I will add an ASB after the bracing of the AS.

I am a creature of habit. I always use witch hazel after rinsing off the alum and then I apply a splash to finish. If I'm feeling especially irritated I might use SJOL gel but I think Aqua velva is the most soothing AS in any situation these days.

Top Bottom