What's new

Aftershave worth it? Paired with the same shaving cream.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I shower after I shave, so, I never thought of matching soap and aftershave.

The aftershaves I use most are more nostalgic that anything. They are just the drugstore scents I remember from 50+ years ago. Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer make my face feel better, give me a nice menthol cool, and smell great. If I apply to my chest and arms as well as my face, I still get whiffs several hours later. That may be impacted by how much body hair you have, I don’t know.

If I want an all-day fragrance or have an event, I use EDP or Parfum. I have trimmed my fragrance collection to a half-dozen or so, worn based on seasons. When wearing a true fragrance, I use an unscented aftershave that is just menthol, which fades quickly. My go-to is Fine Snake Bite.

So, my $0.02, I always use an aftershave. The post-shave feel is fantastic, the alcohol improves my skin (I tend to be oily), and, in most cases, the scent makes me happy.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thanks guys. This lines up with my line of thought.

I think I'm going to stick with the practical approach. Use what works for your face, and that might mean not pairing an aftershave with the cream.

I think I'm going to go from balm to toner. My wife has heaps of toner liquid, it just smells like a woman for a few minutes. I was hoping with an after shave, I could find something a little more manly. I also kind of want something that is mine.
I believe that most shavers would agree - use what works for your face. I've been using Thayer's unscented toner for many years and it obviously works great for me. I have found precious few creams/soaps with a scent that lingers like a cologne - which most people would probably say is a good thing as that would seriously hamper your aftershave/cologne choices.

There are plenty of scented aftershaves, but if you want more scent choices and longer lasting stink I suggest cologne. There are a ridiculous number of choices and a handful of places where you can buy small samples - which I recommend. If you're ever near a mall you could try a Sephora store where they have many samples available. You only get the first top notes, but you can find out if anything is repulsive. Noses are very different.

I use AV Ice Blue and Old Spice regardless of soap used after every shave to "feel the burn" and to disinfect any nicks or weepers. I then follow with Nivea balm. So figure out what works for you and go with it.

I have the Arlington Milk and the Cologne. Individually great and an excellent combination.
I also have the cologne and agree! If you are worried about a fragrance being too strong, DR Harris Arlington is a great start with a classic scent. The cologne is not overpowering at all and mellows within an hour or two of application.

I picked up some of the rose water today on Amazon.

Great, hope you like it. I usually pair it with another aftershave after using it, but you can use it by itself, too.

I was thinking of what would be another good, "manly" type aftershave you might like, and so I could suggest Proraso Green. That has a really refreshing feel with menthol and eucalyptus and a mild scent that lasts an hour or so. Witch hazel plus the Proraso Green should help with any irritation or breakouts post-shave.

Great, hope you like it. I usually pair it with another aftershave after using it, but you can use it by itself, too.

I was thinking of what would be another good, "manly" type aftershave you might like, and so I could suggest Proraso Green. That has a really refreshing feel with menthol and eucalyptus and a mild scent that lasts an hour or so. Witch hazel plus the Proraso Green should help with any irritation or breakouts post-shave.
I used Dickinson's today. The smell is not great, but it felt nice against my face. Face still feels pretty good after a few hours.

I am going to stick with this for a few weeks to see if my face clears up with less product. Then I'll see if I want to go deeper with some aftershave. I am starting to dig the simplicity of my shaves now that I cut out all the pre-shave and post-shave routine the last few shaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For most of my shaves, aftershave of any kind is unnecessary. I do occasionally use it on a whim, and do like to have a bottle to hand. However, I don't see it as an important ingredient in getting a great shave.

Use what works for your face, and that might mean not pairing an aftershave with the cream.
This is the way. Use what works best for you. If it matches your soap scent then that’s just an added bonus. I usually use Thayer’s unscented witch hazel followed by whatever aftershave I’m in the mood for and it usually doesn’t match the smell of the soap

Top Bottom