What's new

Omega Evo Knot Issue

Hi, all!

I bought a gen 1 Omega Evo in 2021 and managed to damage the knot. I've combed out the "hairs", which has helped somewhat. But there are several fibres in the center of the knot that are bent/wavy.

Has anyone else come across this with a synthetic and is there anything else I can do to salvage the shape? I haven't used particularly hot water or anything, so I'm a bit surprised this developed. Never come across this with any other brush, synthetic or natural. I suspect it might be beyond repair from an aesthetic perspective, although it still lathers just fine.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240521_195442.jpg
    20240521_195442.jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240521_195513.jpg
    20240521_195513.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know Simpson replaced a Trafalgar T3 not that long ago.

I’d contact Omega Customer Service, attach some photos with the email and ask for mercy. You never know.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The occurrence of "doughunt hole" is more related to the way of use, and the material only accounts for a small variable. Therefore, we can see doughunt hole brushes with various hairs in B&B.
Even the tough bristles have been damaged.

There are some possible reasons for this change:

1. Over mash the brush.
It is true that mash can produce lather more quickly, but it will be cumulatively damaging to the hair, especially some brushes with more comfortable/soft tips.

2. The bowl is too rough.
Although many people get dense lather from suribachi, some suribachi are relatively rough/sharp and can easily cause knots and dents in the brush.

The occurrence of "doughunt hole" is more related to the way of use, and the material only accounts for a small variable. Therefore, we can see doughunt hole brushes with various hairs in B&B.
Even the tough bristles have been damaged.

There are some possible reasons for this change:

1. Over mash the brush.
It is true that mash can produce lather more quickly, but it will be cumulatively damaging to the hair, especially some brushes with more comfortable/soft tips.

2. The bowl is too rough.
Although many people get dense lather from suribachi, some suribachi are relatively rough/sharp and can easily cause knots and dents in the brush.
Thanks. I face lather and have used many brushes over my 10+ years using brushes. Curious why this one developed an issue while others haven't. Maybe this brush needs more force to splay and this was the result?

I'm inclined to try an STF again. Haven't had one since 2013. 🙂 Also curious about Wald, but most say it's not worth the price delta.

I have three Muhle STF's from AP Shave Co and the Calyx brush from Wald. If you are after the brush closest to the performance and feel of a silvertip badger then the Muhle is for you. The Wald has a different face feel (super duper soft). I like it but prefer the STF's.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Has anyone else come across this with a synthetic...
I haven't tried a lot of brushes, but I've noticed this with all my RazoRock brushes, but none of the others such as Muhle or Paladin. I had an Evo but didn't kept it long enough to cause anything like this.

is there anything else I can do to salvage the shape?
I started combing my brushes out after every shave. It definitely helped. After a few weeks one of them looks normal the other one there's still a noticeable crater in the middle but it's much better than it was before I started combing them.

Maybe this brush needs more force to splay and this was the result?
I remember the Evo being very resistant to splaying. That's one of the reasons I got rid of it. I think it's a reasonable guess this is the cause of the problem (it's requiring you to mash the brush to get it to splay which is slowly damaging it.)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thanks. I face lather and have used many brushes over my 10+ years using brushes. Curious why this one developed an issue while others haven't. Maybe this brush needs more force to splay and this was the result?

I'm inclined to try an STF again. Haven't had one since 2013. 🙂 Also curious about Wald, but most say it's not worth the price delta.
Very possible. It definitely needs more force to hold the splay.

I find the STF much closer to the other end of the spectrum - a little too easy to splay - but a fine brush and an excellent value for the money. It's my travel brush. The Wald is on another level, but you're right about it being expensive. The Wald is my favorite synthetic, but you've got to be willing to live with the law of diminishing returns - a little more quality for a lot more money. There are lots of satisfied Wald owners on the 51 pages of the Wald Synthetic Brush post, but that's neither here or there - you have to decide what makes sense for you.

Top Bottom