What's new

Olive Oil

Any of you gentlemen have a favorite olive oil? I recently tried Trader Joe's Extra Virgin Spanish olive oil and it was good. I've read on a review that Lucini and California Olive Ranch make good extra virgin olive oils. Do you consider a price point when buying olive oil? I've been using more olive oil over the past couple of years due to a move to a Mediterranean-style diet.

My wife uses the BJ's brand and hasn't had any complaints. It is affordable and at least good enough. We aren't fancy types, so I really don't have anything higher end to compare it to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ceo-eugene-pallisco-announces-cases-of-genco-to-be-available-soon.jpg

I just emptied a 3 liter can of Greek Diamond. Literally 3 minutes ago. Our daughter gets it for us at a Greek grocery near her home. Good stuff and not expensive

We use my gf’s father’s that he has made when he’s in Italy. Twice FedEx has lost the pallet actually. Before that we used Frantoio Barbera and sometimes the stuff from Whole Foods. California Olive Ranch I think it’s called.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
20210411_111406.jpg

This is what we keep around. It's a very good and peppery, which is what I tend to prefer in an olive oil. Decent price for a supermarket item ($10/1 L).

I could pick up good olive oil much cheaper at a number of markets around here, but making a special trip isn't really worth it.

Some things have a price you need to pay, to enjoy the real thing.
If you pay under 15 Dollars for a litre of olive oil you did not pay that price.

If you wanna use it for cooking its ok but if you put it f.e. on your mozzarella/tomato, dip your bread in
etc. do yourself a favour and pay some more, it lasts long if stored right.

You make a good point. $ 15 a liter seems to be a little low for high quality olive oil that you might use for salad dressing, bread dipping, vegetable addition, etc. Of course, you can pay very high prices for little increase in quality.

View attachment 1249919

This is what we keep around. It's a very good and peppery, which is what I tend to prefer in an olive oil. Decent price for a supermarket item ($10/1 L).

I could pick up good olive oil much cheaper at a number of markets around here, but making a special trip isn't really worth it.
I have read good things about Spanish olive oils.
Only rule is no plastic bottles. We went to Israel a couple of years ago and got to do an olive oil tasting at Sindyanna of Galilee. Nadia, who runs it, was very clear on that point. Olive oil has oxidative reactions with plastic. Anything that can be added to minimize that reaction spoils the purity of the oil.
This makes a lot of sense. Did Nadia have any recommendations about shelf life for olive oil?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I had some at an olive farm in Tunisia that was worth the trouble of toting a couple of liters home. One of our favorites is the sampler pack from Queen Creek olive mill, just east of Phoenix.

I usually buy whatever Italian or Greek one is at the local store if I need any. Always in a glass bottle though.

I don’t usually buy olive oil though, my dad has land in Greece with a bunch of olive trees on it. Each year we get a couple 40L drums of fresh oil to use.

Top Bottom