What's new

Olive Oil

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1618336293720.png

"Hmm ... no more EVOO for me!"

I had some at an olive farm in Tunisia that was worth the trouble of toting a couple of liters home. One of our favorites is the sampler pack from Queen Creek olive mill, just east of Phoenix.

The Queen Creek Olive Oil Mill has a great tour explaining the process of making olive oil and an olive oil tasting. I was surprised to see the difference in taste depending on the olives used and the pressing process

A while back my wife took online cooking classes with a chef from Tuscany. He made an interesting comment about olive oil He said that olive oil has two uses. First, he referred to some olive oils as "finishing oils" or oils used in cold applications such as salads or dips. He recommended that you use premium EVOO for those applications. However, for cooking, he cautioned against using those oils because their smoke point is less and that they can get bitter when used on high heat.

Every Christmas we get a package of olive oils from Oiliere. Some excellent EVOO products.

Who do you use to ship it? We’ve had FedEx lose a pallet somewhere in the states on its way here, and once they said they delivered it when they obviously did not.

oops forgot to write the message. It’s a dedicated freight company. It arrives at the terminal at the airport and we have to pick it up.

I’d like to use someone other than Fed Ex but I’m not sure there’s other options in small town Calabria
oops forgot to write the message. It’s a dedicated freight company. It arrives at the terminal at the airport and we have to pick it up.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Some things have a price you need to pay, to enjoy the real thing.
If you pay under 15 Dollars for a litre of olive oil you did not pay that price.

If you wanna use it for cooking its ok but if you put it f.e. on your mozzarella/tomato, dip your bread in
etc. do yourself a favour and pay some more, it lasts long if stored right.

I might have agreed with you at one time, but I must disagree now. That La Espana punches well above its price point. It's hardly top tier, but I was actually surprised when I went back to check the price and saw how low it was.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A while back my wife took online cooking classes with a chef from Tuscany. He made an interesting comment about olive oil He said that olive oil has two uses. First, he referred to some olive oils as "finishing oils" or oils used in cold applications such as salads or dips. He recommended that you use premium EVOO for those applications. However, for cooking, he cautioned against using those oils because their smoke point is less and that they can get bitter when used on high heat.

I've heard this various times ... also, it is said that high heat cooking ruins the complex flavours of the EVOO. For that, I use avocado oil or pig fat. EEVO is my go-to for salad dressing, though.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
An Italian lady in our office used to rant about us mangia cakes buying the big bottle of olive oil at Costco and storing it in a hot spot under the sink and using it over the next two years. Apparently you should only buy as much as you can use in three months.

You could be right, but it’s a very small town. I’m assuming Fed Ex comes and picks it up. We’re kind of at the mercy of the person shipping it, but I’ve been advocating for look see into other options.
Most places on the Mediterranean have their own cargo/freight companies. Might have to do some looking around to find a local place.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Any of you gentlemen have a favorite olive oil? I recently tried Trader Joe's Extra Virgin Spanish olive oil and it was good. I've read on a review that Lucini and California Olive Ranch make good extra virgin olive oils. Do you consider a price point when buying olive oil? I've been using more olive oil over the past couple of years due to a move to a Mediterranean-style diet.
I buy California Olive Ranch. It is certified olive oil. There is a lot of fake, or partially fake olive oils out there. A few extra bucks s bottle doesn’t kill me.

We go through a good amount of olive oil in my house. Only use Kirklands brand EVOO from Costco. It's made in USA. I dont trust imported oils there are very loose quality standards and you don't know what is cut with. The EU probably allows cutting with used motor oil for all you know. I trust imported olive oil as much as any politician. And the CDC for that matter.

I buy California Olive Ranch. It is certified olive oil. There is a lot of fake, or partially fake olive oils out there. A few extra bucks s bottle doesn’t kill me.
Yup. Be very cautious of olive oil imports from EU. Especially those that are blended.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I trust imported olive oil as much as any politician. And the CDC for that matter.

1619101916057.png

This just in ... World Health Organisation confirms no olive oil comes from Taiwan, because there is no such thing as Taiwan.

Top Bottom