What's new

Olive oil and Bread

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This thread finally got me to get off my butt and make a go at ciabatta.

20200412_154327.jpg

Anyone else do this. Take an little olive oil (Any type) on a plate w/ salt and pepper.Then dip the bread into the oil..

Add some minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and/or rosemary then let it sit for 24H.

That time infusing makes a world of difference.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I'm gonna get a little fussy, here.

As much as I've enjoyed Carrabba's dipping stuff at times, it's more a good way to cover up cheap olive oil than it is to enjoy bread and olive oil. You can probably use vegetable oil and hardly tell the difference. In fact, that recipe looks a lot like the blend I've seen for making those herbed-up saltines.

Now, that doesn't mean that it doesn't taste good! It's just the oil is more a medium to deliver the stuff than it is as a flavor component on its own. Use the (fairly) cheap stuff. Good olive oil would get lost in there. It would be like grinding prime rib for chili or pouring your finest whiskey into a glass of Coke.

The cupboard's a little bare after weeks with no trip to the store. How about a corn tortilla sprayed with Pam?

when we were a bit younger ( sans munchkins) this and a bottle of cheap red wine was many a dinner. In practice we would slice fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese ( and fresh basil ) thinly on baguette slice as well but ow the same.

My daughter-in-law likes everything spicy. She does not like butter on her bread. However, she does like bread with olive oil. We had some last night. She used olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a touch of Sriracha. She is from the Philippines and she uses a dipping sauce for everything.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My daughter-in-law likes everything spicy. She does not like butter on her bread. However, she does like bread with olive oil. We had some last night. She used olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a touch of Sriracha. She is from the Philippines and she uses a dipping sauce for everything.

I'm surprised she didn't just dip the bread in Pinakurat.

Top Bottom