What's new

Old v. New, Gillette v. Razorock

Another dumb question from a rank newcomer:

Which Razorock is closest to a Gillette Tech? Anybody know? I'd like to do a showdown. (Shavedown?)

Feels to me like Razorock has too many options. It's confusing...even though they're high-value it doesn't mean I can buy all of them.

Thanks for help,

MtB

lasta

Blade Biter
There is an outsourced Baili made RazorRock, I forgot it's name. Basically a rebranded BR 171.

Closest thing to a modern Tech, but Zamak and slightly different shaving angle (steeper).

There are a lot of Tech inspired razors, but everyone thinks they can modify it slightly, make it a little better. In reality, no one copied it's perfection.

I'd say, just get a few bona-fide Techs, they are IMO the best shavers ever made.

Another option is the Gillette Super Blue, still made, cheap materials but at least a real Tech.

The Baili BR171 and BD176 are $7-9. The Razorock Teck II is a rebranded Baili for $10. But when you can get a real Tech for $10-15, why not?

To compare a vintage Gillette Tech to some of Razorock's other offerings is less of a 1:1 comparison. If you want a Tech, buy a Tech.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There is an outsourced Baili made RazorRock, I forgot it's name. Basically a rebranded BR 171.

Closest thing to a modern Tech, but Zamak and slightly different shaving angle (steeper).

There are a lot of Tech inspired razors, but everyone thinks they can modify it slightly, make it a little better. In reality, no one copied it's perfection.

I'd say, just get a few bona-fide Techs, they are IMO the best shavers ever made.

Another option is the Gillette Super Blue, still made, cheap materials but at least a real Tech.
Good advice. A nearly impossible razor to hurt yourself with, and probably Gillette's most underrated DE. Especially the Post War(?) ones? Mine is a 1962. Easily an everyday razor, if'n I wasn't so lazy.

It's good to meet you, @Mike the Beginner ! Make yourself at home here at the best place on the Internet, Badger and Blade.

So far I've tried 4 razors and to my surprise, the Tech is my favorite! Second favorite is the Rockwell 2C, which beats out the Envoy and the Razorock Hawk v3. I haven't tried the Razorock GC .84 yet. Still kind of interested in trying whatever Razorock is closest to the Tech, but I notice nobody directly answered that question (not complaining, maybe no one knows. Hey, I could ask Razorock!).

I know the problem with those other razors is probably 80% due to my lack of skill. I'm sort of on the fence about whether to keep them and try them again after a few months of a year has passed, or just to sell them on and settle on the Tech. But time, and more shaves, will probably make up my mind for me.

MtB

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So far I've tried 4 razors and to my surprise, the Tech is my favorite! Second favorite is the Rockwell 2C, which beats out the Envoy and the Razorock Hawk v3. I haven't tried the Razorock GC .84 yet. Still kind of interested in trying whatever Razorock is closest to the Tech, but I notice nobody directly answered that question (not complaining, maybe no one knows. Hey, I could ask Razorock!).

I know the problem with those other razors is probably 80% due to my lack of skill. I'm sort of on the fence about whether to keep them and try them again after a few months of a year has passed, or just to sell them on and settle on the Tech. But time, and more shaves, will probably make up my mind for me.

MtB
Oh no, keep them my friend!

I'd bet folding money that the majority of them are just fine, once you have gained some insight.

lasta

Blade Biter

MtB
I tried about 30 razors, Techs are my favorites too!

I think you answered your own question. Which is great. You have found that you like the basic tech design. Starting out it is important to have a razor you are comfortable using. There are quite a bit of options out there from low $ to high$.
It does you no go jumping around with different razors now. Find one tech and stick with it. Consistency matters, lots of new shavers put to much focus and energy into the tool. Once you get a process down that works for you. You skills are solid, then methodical try another. I see so many jumping around, they are trying razors for the advanced user. Nothing but trouble and a waste of time and money...and you never have a chance to enjoy your shave , learn, and grow.
I have a little experience, shaving now for 50 years, started with SRs.
But that just means I know what works for me...that's it..
I your path to find what works best for you...different faces , different shaves..
Take care..
BFX

Just to give a little balance to this thread, for me the RazoRock "imitations" are better than the original Gillette Tech, especially the GC. Of course, I only have one vintage Tech, I could try more. The Merkur 34C is also better for me, but now that the threaded post is made of zamak rather than brass, I can no longer recommend it, as the chrome plating will wear off the threads much sooner than the cap or base plate.

+1! Yes indeed! True classics IMHO. So why not try the real thing!! :thumbup::thumbup:
Right, and as my favorite vintage Gillette is the Slim, mainly because it is adjustable, if I wanted to be serious about a comparison of vintage v. new I should buy a refurbished Slim in good-as-new condition. As it stands, my rather beat up 1962 Slim is still more than good enough for travel purposes. So, I mean no disrespect for the vintage Gillettes.

Top Bottom