What's new

Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Funk

Accidentally stumbled on to this while on Youtube (mystery how I got there).

It's surprisingly good pick-me-up; a mix of old and new.

Thank you for sharing, very enjoyable. Makes me miss Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, James Cagney, Ginger Rodgers, & all the other stars of the musicals.

Yeah - the bar was set pretty high then. Fred Astaire's first screen test notes said "Can’t act. Can’t sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little."

He certainly could dance a little, oh my could he dance! Fred Astaire is #1 in my book, followed by Gene Kelly.

And most don't think of James Cagney as a dancer, but I absolutely love him tap dancing down the staircase in Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Over 42 million views!

0:16 Wow! (one on left)
0:48 What I probably look like dancing.
3:42 Don't trip!
4:22 Jesus!
4:30 OWWWWW!​

At 0:16 the one on the left is Eleanor Powell, with Gracie Allen on the right.
The shot is from about 2 minutes into this video I just wandered across...

(Strange how things happen, sometimes.)

@StlEd, thanks for posting the video. Great clip! Starting at 3:20, watch the tap dancing while jumping rope! Watch the whole minute of it...that's amazing!

At 0:16 the one on the left is Eleanor Powell, with Gracie Allen on the right.
The shot is from about 2 minutes into this video I just wandered across...

(Strange how things happen, sometimes.)

Thanks Ed.

Tap was a big thing back then, I wonder if it will ever come back?

You're welcome, all.
In the same vein, if y'all like tap, I also ran across this one later; a clip was also used in the OP.
Eleanor Powell again, with Fred Astaire. Just under 3 minutes, but one long take with no cuts.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
You're welcome, all.
In the same vein, if y'all like tap, I also ran across this one later; a clip was also used in the OP.
Eleanor Powell again, with Fred Astaire. Just under 3 minutes, but one long take with no cuts.

That was a great video,@StlEd

That was fun Ed!

Someone, can't remember who, once said that Tap dancing classes for kids were very popular with mothers of the time and that consequently a large percentage of the NY police and firemen of a certain age could all Tap dance:a14:

He certainly could dance a little, oh my could he dance! Fred Astaire is #1 in my book, followed by Gene Kelly.

And most don't think of James Cagney as a dancer, but I absolutely love him tap dancing down the staircase in Yankee Doodle Dandy.
Cagney started out as a hoofer, I think, and moved on into acting a little later.

For me, one of his Warner Brothers films is always a stop-and-watch event when it's on. Somebody on another forum once said that no human being ever talked or moved the way Cagney did on screen . . . and yet everything he did was true-to-life. That takes some doing.

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

Top Bottom