What's new

Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks

As many are aware, I am a staunch believer of the idea that leather is by far the best material for handgun holsters. Still think that is true.
But, for myriad reasons I acquired a Hybrid
Leather/Kydex holster for my Beretta Nano.
Made by Tommy Theis in Arkansas I have to say this is a legit bit of goods. It has an adjustable can't and carry height; can also be carried IWB or OWB. Fit and finish are quite good, lifetime warranty and the price is good. Worth a look if you're in the market.

B5E8AB4D-DD41-477D-A6AA-0658BC95E4C7.jpeg

Nice!

I mostly prefer leather myself but kydex definitely has it's place.

My one horsehide 1911 holster is probably my favorite material wise. I wish more holster makers offered it as an option.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes!

Leather has soul, beauty and style ... but Kydex gets things done efficiently.

Sailboats are wonderful, but I'm not taking one to Europe.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Theis makes good stuff. I actually have been on the search myself, for a good holster that would allow dual, IWB/OWB carry for my Glock 43X with the attached Streamlight TLR-6 light/laser combo. Can you show pics of how it works for OWB Tim?

Will do. Plus, I have ordered another for the Kahr CT .380.
Should have it in 3 weeks or so..

@OkieStubble
OWB seems pretty good. Not as "firm" as an Andrews Saddle holster but certainly secure and comfortable. The leather backing comes up the entire length of the pistol, shielding it from your hide. I don't think I would want to carry a larger frame handgun in one of these. A Glock 19 I think would be pushing it. The sub-compacts should do well.
If I didn't already have an IWB holster (Milt Sparks Summer Special II) for my G43X I would most probably acquire one of these for that gun as well.
A0E397E3-3AF6-4BC4-BCB4-D0871642840F.jpeg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a few kydex holsters but I still have a heavy preference for leather. My mind keeps telling me that polymer guns are good in kydex, but a 1911 or a fine revolver belong in leather.

Agreed, I would carry my Glocks in that no problem. My SS Ruger revolver needs to be in leather.

I concede that Kydex has a place in the real world. Still, for certain firearms...only quality leather will do.
2119EFA9-11FC-42DF-9FAD-7857B004FED0.jpeg
80B786EE-3893-494C-97C6-53BEFC775A53.jpeg
FB585CE8-FFD9-44E7-A8CA-ED4FB5113D8B.jpeg
66F4A90A-71B0-4B7F-8680-5FFED7923446.jpeg
3F645AAB-551E-4AE5-A93C-DEB86377ED12.jpeg
6FB65DC0-521A-4950-AE4B-99743F719611.jpeg
683BF0A2-5E33-470A-B79E-B8895B1A8776.jpeg
leath

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Agreed, I would carry my Glocks in that no problem. My SS Ruger revolver needs to be in leather.

I’ll +2 this thought. I don’t think I’d ever buy a nice leather holster which would cost over $100 for a polymer pistol that would only ever be concealed.

But my Ruger SP101 with burl wood grips? A really nice 1911? Tim’s Browning High Power when he gives it to me? :) Chris’s Staccato?

Oh, It’s Bar B Q time!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I’ll +2 this thought. I don’t think I’d ever buy a nice leather holster which would cost over $100 for a polymer pistol that would only ever be concealed.

But my Ruger SP101 with burl wood grips? A really nice 1911? Tim’s Browning High Power when he gives it to me? :) Chris’s Staccato?

Oh, It’s Bar B Q time!

Tim is going to give you his Browning HP? You lucky dog. I tried to get him to give me his Cobra, he opted for shaving creams instead. :lol:

I actually bought a kydex holster for my Kimber 1911. When it came, I took one look at it and have never put my gun in it. My craftsman of choice is Milt Sparks. When I get a new one the first thing I do is open the box and sniff the leather. Its feel and smell simply beg to embrace my beloved gun (and I do love all of my guns).

I like the look of leather for owb, but for iwb, it’s kydex all the way. In fact, if it’s going to be abused and worn in bad weather....even owb kydex rocks! Of course, I do not really have a bbq gun. If I had a beautiful Browning HP or a Colt, I’d get a spectacular leather holster to show it off!

My wife once asked me why do I spend money on nice leather holsters that no one will ever see. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I'll see it and I deserve to look at something that pleases me.

The only leather I’ve got. It’s ok, but rolls around on the belt during the draw too much for my taste. Got one that does fit my 19, still won’t fit my 23. It’s a Kirkpatrick.

8B6F9B19-7983-4426-AC65-28417ED7BD4C.jpeg

What I prefer with this full size. And any carry piece is an IWB. I can hide it well in anything heavier than a t shirt. Polos/Alohas work just fine. I’ve got another one in horse for the 23/19 (no light)

6BDA8A03-2E03-477B-840A-65DDA62F8861.jpeg

for anything bigger than a sub, my holsters have to have two clips for stability. The rest are full kydex.

Top Bottom