What's new

An Old Fart learns new stuff.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
About a year ago in one of the 'holster' topics I really ranted about how useless I found the products from Alien Gear. I had their paddle and belt rig and found them simply useless, way too bulky and sticking out like a Jordan Border Patrol rig but far less stable, less functional and totally lacking in any soul or spirit.

Time passed and a friend shamed me into buying one of the Alien Gear IWB bases (the smallest size). I had tried quite a few of the shells and the shells are interchangeable with either the IWB or OWB bases so the investment was not too extreme.

The difference is truly night & day. The IWB format really is as nice as any IWB I own, stable, holding the handgun tight against my body, comfortable for a full days wear and with shells that are easily exchanged and mounting hardware that is adjustable and simple. I have the shells for my Sig Sauer P290RS (works with both the 380 and Parabellum), for the Beretta larger 32 acp models (Puma, New Puma, Cheetah), my EG Makarov and surprisingly my Colt 1903s (and a few other guns from around the same era). I have two different styles of clips; one that goes over the belt and is a spring type and one that is a "C" format that goes over the pants and under the belt with the belt riding in the "C". I prefer the latter since I find it far easier to adjust for positioning.

IMG_5434.JPG

Here you can see the Over the Belt clip versions with one of my Colt 1903s. Notice the body shield as well as how tightly the handgun is held against my body. I've worn the Alien Gear IWB while driving, walking, standing, sitting and it's been remarkably comfortable. The only issue was one instance when bending over to refill the kitties water bowl when the body shield poked me under my ribs. It was annoying but not painful. The clips are adjustable for height and cant and are a quick connect/disconnect style.

I have found that each of the shells also holds my handgun securely and tight against my body. Put on an unbuttoned shirt and it works as a concealed carry and as I normally dress I would call it an unobtrusive carry. Even when wearing it without any covering I have not had a single comment or "hard Stare".

So I have to admit that as totally useless as I found the Alien Gear OWB designs, their IWB has far exceeded my expectations.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I was looking at their ShapeShift OWB Slide Holster for my LCP II. It is not avaliable for an Armalite Laser.

Last edited:
It is always a good thing when one comes across something which meets their needs effectively.

That’s the love/hate relationship of buying new toys. You’re always looking for that accessory that doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...So I have to admit that as totally useless as I found the Alien Gear OWB designs, their IWB has far exceeded my expectations.

This is pretty funny. I took possession of a new Shield Plus on the day you wrote this. It can use the same holsters as the Shield 2.0 that is on permanent loan to my step-father. The problem is, I gave him ALL my good holsters for it. The only holster that I guess I deemed was too crappy to give him...

proxy.php

I gave the gun a good break in on Saturday and was eager to carry it in the only holster I had for it. I walked for several miles in the woods with my dog and it’s very comfortable with great retention. I don’t know why it didn’t make the cut but I’ll continue to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must be my body type (think muffin top!) but IWB holsters are evidently not for me. Prefer shoulder holsters, especially my old upside-down Bullitt holster. Fits either my 2" Detective Special or a Smith Bodyguard. Know it is a wheel gun but that was what I used for most of my LE career.

Top Bottom