What's new

A week with the new Old Slabside.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's been a week with the SDS Import Tisas made 1911A1 Government model and I've had a chance to try several different carry methods.

Fortunately I had some holsters I'd previously used with either my Series 80 (short lived) or my Dan Wesson custom Pointman/Patriot (somewhat longer lived several year trial that just never panned out) so I could get some experience with carrying the slabside.

As always, for the first week with a new firearm or new holster or even a new gun/holster combination I carried the gun unloaded and a secondary backup loaded handgun for safety. The goal is to test comfort and make sure that the safety doesn't get accidentally switched to fire mode and that the mag release doesn't work flawlessly on its own (I once had that happen with one of my Berettas and pulling out a fine handgun only to mag the mag lying at my feet while interesting was only interesting in the nature of the Chinese curse).

I tested both IWB and OWB types but still have not tested my shoulder holster rigs for a 1911 with this one. Each holster was worn for at least a full day.

Most of my IWB options available just didn't work out with the 1911. Two that did work were the Alien Gear with switchable shells and my High Noon Holster Mr. Softy. A High Noon Split Decision that I really expected to work simply was not stable enough.

OWB holsters were an open base from Old West Holster in San Antonio, a High Noon Holster, one from 1791 and my old Bucheimer that originally help that Series 80 I've mentioned. The Bucheimer was the best retention and was the least comfortable and most awkward of all. The High Noon and 1791 were pretty equal, both very comfortable with both holding the gun high and tight. The High Noon had slightly better retention and the 1791 had slightly better coverage.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have a few pictures but they are almost as old as me.

The Bucheimer with the Dan Wesson I never warmed up to and that went to a forever home.

Bucheimer-DW-1911-02-800.jpg
Bucheimer-DW-1911-01-800.jpg

The Dan Wesson with the 1791.

1791-Dan-Wesson-Pointman-Pa.jpg

The High Noon Holster Topless but with my Browning BDM

High-Noon-BDM-800.jpg
Tisas-1911A1-Government-179.jpg
1911A1-in-1791-holster.jpg

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Now that I've put a couple hundred+ rounds through it I checked the trigger pull using my Lyman Digital Scale and it averages right at a 4 pound break. That's right out of the box and no tuning or buffing. The lowest 5 shot average was 3.86 pounds and the highest was 4.12 pounds.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have been pretty used to carrying similar size and weight handguns from most of my wheelies to quite a few semi-automatics like the Colt 1903, Smith & Wesson 5906, Walther P-38 and PP, Beretta 81, Browning P-35 and clones so the size and weight doesn't really concern me. I found I still had a bunch of the 1911 IWB and OWB holsters in the Box of Shame and added a 1911 shell from Alien Gear so I didn't need to buy holsters other than the one shell.

As I do with all new guns or new holsters I simply started carrying this one unloaded initially (with a loaded gun in one of my pocket holsters) to make sure it was comfortable to wear for a full day and that the setup made sure the safety stayed in the safe position and that mags didn't get mysteriously ejected (Had that happen once with one of my Berettas. Hate it when I draw a gun and feel the mag hit my foot.). Two of the IWB rigs, one from Alien Gear and another from High Noon Holster and several of my OWB holster seem to work just fine. One that I had even forgotten I owned is a paddle rig from Safariland and it turns out to be exceptionally stable with great retention and holds the gun tight to my body. I haven't tried my shoulder holster for larger guns yet but come fall, assuming fall does come, I'll likely give it a try as well.

I've run a few hundred OLD rounds (purchased a couple decades ago) of ammo and still I've had zero failure to load, zero failure to fire and zero failure to ejects. Trigger pull has remained right at 4 pounds. The magazine release is slightly better than it was initially. I had to use two hands to drop a mag right out of the box. Ordered a set of MagPul Grip Panels that have a relief to make the mag release easier to use and it should arrive today.

Now I guess I'll need to start looking for some ammo.

P.S.

A Commander sized somewhat enhanced but still Series 70 based one is also on order.

Top Bottom