What's new

Ok, I think I am officially obsessed!

Well I am three weeks in now and ANY thought of "saving" money is completely gone. I now have five different razors, four different soaps/creams, two brushes, a lather bowl, a lather scuttle, travel case for razor and brush, and I am hoarding blades like they are ammo.

If I use a blade a week, and my wife uses two a month, I am set for almost 10 years with my stock of 200 Israeli Personna Platinum Chrome, 400 Polsilver Super Iridium (got an unbelievable deal on!), and 150+ other assorted blades from three different samplers.

In addition to the obvious shaving equipment and supplies, I have also added shelving in the bathroom to put the stuff on to lessen counter clutter. I also decided it made more sense to put a microwave in the master bedroom (no place in the bathroom for it) instead of boosting water temp so I can have super hot water to keep my lather warm and nice hot towels for prep. My wife kinda freaked on that, but it sits inside my night stand cabinet so out of sight and out of mind. Just a few steps to the bathroom, so plenty convenient.

Took a few pics of the equipment and such... my wife thinks I am crazy. At least this hobby/habit/obsession is cheaper than other obsessions - guns and photography gear. Once I put it into perspective of her manicures, pedicures, and essential oils she lightened up a bit. Then to seal the deal, I bought her a totally mint/like new 1965 Lady Gillette with Blue starbursts.

I think I have settled in now with the variety I wanted. Will probably get one more brush, but that should do it for awhile. All total, my initial outlay in hardware and accoutrements is about what a new Glock costs. From here on, it is just the consumables of creams and an occasional brush or razor. Most of those things will be covered with Christmas, birthday, and fathers day presents so no significant out of pocket costs for me.

My first razor - Merkur 20C long handled. Seems to be a solid performer and new shaver friendly with a pretty mild shave. Has good weight, I just wish the handle was just a little thicker.

proxy.php

"BYR" (Birth Year Razor) Gillette Slim Adjustable with an I-1 date code (1963, 1st quarter-just like me!). Very clean and works perfectly.

proxy.php

1930's Gillette Tech Heavy. This one has been re-plated in Rhodium, got a pretty good deal on it considering the condition. It seems to be a little more aggressive than the Merkur, gives a closer shave and if I am not careful, has been known to draw blood.

proxy.php

Another Gillette Tech Heavy. Excellent condition and another eBay find. It is currently my favored razor. Very similar to the other Tech, but for some reason this one just feels a little better.

proxy.php

Russian made "Ideal" adjustable razor. Similar in design to the Gillette Slim Adjustable but with a little bit longer handle and a plastic base plate. This was new old stock, made late 90's or early 2000's. I haven't shaved with it yet, I am testing some different blades and want to keep the variables down. Will shave with it later this week.

proxy.php

My wife liked the idea of not using cartridges as well as she frequently doesn't have a fresh one when she does legs and such. Scored an awesome deal on a razor for her on eBay.

proxy.php

Here is the before/after my side of the bathroom counter...

proxy.php
proxy.php

And the bedroom microwave...

proxy.php
proxy.php

OK, I think I am done saving money now.... :w00t:

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Wow! Great pictures! Great razors! Amazing idea of using a microwave in your bedroom to heat up towels :)w00t::lol:)!

Just wait until you start to wander off into B&B's sub-fora. You'll be saving all kinds of money then. :thumbup:

Great collection in such short time! I'm four months in and now have five razors, five brushes, a lather bowl, and a growing collection of blades. I like the floating shelves in the bathroom, you're giving me ideas!

I spent the afternoon installing floating shelves in my bathroom. I'm a month in and already running out of space. I spend way too much time online trying to decide what I'm going to buy next.

Nice collection.
I've got a NOS 1990s Ideal Adjustable too, I get some good shaves out of it, but it seized up. IMHO, the little hole at the base of the handle is probably intended for adding oil for lubrication. I put oil in the hole and in/on and around everything that moved, worked the TTO and Adjustment a few times and then left it alone. The next day every moving part moved better than ever !!

Hmm. I should show this to my wife. I started maybe a month ago. I now have 3 razors, a few different soaps/creams, a lathering bowl, several after shaves, a few other balms and astringents and 150 or so blades. She thinks I'm off my nut.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A good start.

Remember the 30/30/30 Rule: it's just good planning to have at least 30 aftershaves, 30 soaps and 30 razors available at all times.

AA

i got back into wet shaving about a year ago, back into DE about 9 months ago, only 3 razors, 4 scuttles, 4 pucks, 3 aftershaves and 1 of everything else (preshave, brush, alum block, blades). continually thinking about other razors.

there's always a plan B

NICE! Once you expand the den space, then you can really get started. :thumbup: Looks like you fit right in around here!

Top Bottom