What's new

Oh no...lapsing technique

I've been DE shaving for almost two years now. The beginning was very rough, but I got to a good place where I was getting consistent DFS with no nicks or irritation. Lately it seems I can't even make a razor stroke without skipping and giving myself razor burn. In particular, the area around my adam's apple is an absolute nightmare. If the planets align just right, I can get by without a massive amount of razor bumps and burn. I usually end up waiting at least a week between shaves to let the irritation and ingrowns go away. I'm trying my absolute damnedest to use no pressure and proper angle, but nothing helps. Everywhere I read, this "keeps getting better and better", but I'm going in reverse. I'm starting to get extremely frustrated...:angry:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yup, it happens sometimes. Did you change something in your routine? You are probably applying pressure and that's why you are getting irritation.

This is when you need to go back to basics and revisit the tutorials. :001_smile

The thing is, it seems like I used to get better shaves before I even knew about the hot towel prep, etc. I would always splash some hot water on my face, and I'd be good to go. I change my blade as soon as I notice the slightest bit of dullness, usually after 3 or 4 shaves. Maybe trying too many things has messed me up. I have to learn to find what works and stick with it.

Maybe you're overthinking the process now.

Just calm down and go for a Socially Acceptable two-pass shave and see what happens.

I think too much hot water at the outset actually leads to diminishing returns because of facial swelling. Go back to getting it wet only, and then leave the lather on for about two minutes before shaving. That should soften the whiskers without irritating the skin.

Finally, be certain that you have a good, protective lather.

Perhaps it's because you are leaving it a week inbetween shaves? If I left it a week I would need a lot more than a 2 passes to get a dfs? If there is not much to cut doing it any less then I would think it can only help you practice the routine? Keep us posted on how you shape up. :thumbup1:

Perhaps it's because you are leaving it a week inbetween shaves? If I left it a week I would need a lot more than a 2 passes to get a dfs? If there is not much to cut doing it any less then I would think it can only help you practice the routine? Keep us posted on how you shape up. :thumbup1:

The thing is, I usually have to leave it alone for at least several days so the irritation can clear up. Also, if I grow my beard out more between shaves, the hair is softer and easier to cut. Otherwise it feels like I'm dragging a knife across my face. It feels like no matter how well I lather with soap or cream, my neck isn't protected enough. I've thought about going the hot pot/distilled water route to see if that helps. Sometimes the Mach 3 and Edge Pro Gel at the grocery store look awfully tempting...

The thing is, I usually have to leave it alone for at least several days so the irritation can clear up. Also, if I grow my beard out more between shaves, the hair is softer and easier to cut. Otherwise it feels like I'm dragging a knife across my face. It feels like no matter how well I lather with soap or cream, my neck isn't protected enough. I've thought about going the hot pot/distilled water route to see if that helps. Sometimes the Mach 3 and Edge Pro Gel at the grocery store look awfully tempting...
There is NO law against going back to what works for you fella. When I'm pushed for time I have grabbed my remaining can of goo and my generic 2 blade cartridge and guess what dfs every time however I know if it is kept up my face will pay the price for my lack of forethought :001_smile Please don't hurt yourself tying to "keep up" with the fellas here. As always ymmv it's your face it's up to you how you shave it and when you shave it. If your life lets you leave the grass to grow then let it grow if thats what you want. If not then cut it down how you want to. As with the actual shave there is NO pressure. :thumbup:

There is NO law against going back to what works for you fella. When I'm pushed for time I have grabbed my remaining can of goo and my generic 2 blade cartridge and guess what dfs every time however I know if it is kept up my face will pay the price for my lack of forethought :001_smile Please don't hurt yourself tying to "keep up" with the fellas here. As always ymmv it's your face it's up to you how you shave it and when you shave it. If your life lets you leave the grass to grow then let it grow if thats what you want. If not then cut it down how you want to. As with the actual shave there is NO pressure. :thumbup:

Yeah, I shaved with a Mach 3 and Edge Gel in high school and lived with the massive amount of ingrown hairs. I thought it just came with the territory of shaving. Then I had a beard for ~2 years, and I got tired of that too. When I came back to shaving, I figured I'd better do it right, and here I am. There are the occasional days when everything is just right and I get a nice pleasurable shave (NPS? :laugh:). When that happens, the joy I feel is immense. If only it happened more often. I just need to remember to take my sweet-arse time and let it happen on its own. "Be desireless", as Steve would say...

Fortunately, I work at a recording studio and they don't care what my face looks like. It's not like there are any girls to impress in my line of work, either...

If you've been doing this for a couple of years, then I suspect it's safe to safe to assume it's not your technique, blade, or razor that has changed all of a sudden. I gave up on the whole pre-shave technique and the razor burn dropped way off. I think it exposes normally protected skin and whisker cuticle to the razor - which can result in the burn. If you're shaving against the grain more - because you're trying to get more shaves out of a blade, that can cause ingrown hair problems. And as always, lighten up the pressure of your strokes.

If you've been doing this for a couple of years, then I suspect it's safe to safe to assume it's not your technique, blade, or razor that has changed all of a sudden. I gave up on the whole pre-shave technique and the razor burn dropped way off. I think it exposes normally protected skin and whisker cuticle to the razor - which can result in the burn. If you're shaving against the grain more - because you're trying to get more shaves out of a blade, that can cause ingrown hair problems. And as always, lighten up the pressure of your strokes.

I recently switched from Derby blades to Astra by way of a sample pack, but nothing else has changed. Actually, the quality of shaves dramatically improved after switching from Derby. The Astras are much sharper and allow for a closer, smoother shave with no tugging. Feathers are also good, but are much less forgiving. I'll try to ease up on my prep routine. Kyle's Prep seems like it should work wonders, but all it does is dry the hell out of my face.

I think this sort of thing happens more often than many may realize. Just focus on the fundamentals and take your time.

Top Bottom