What's new

Oh no, I don't need to get into this now.... (do I?)

Every day I see posts go by about fragrance.
I wear Lacoste Essentials every day and Burberry London on special occasions.
I have a bunch of BOSS samples some of which are nice.

My workplace has just gone fragrance free, but I suspect the only people that they target are those who bathe in the stuff (yes, I know we "share the air" so I won't push my luck by going against company policy).

But I find I'm getting drawn into this world.

Is there a market for previously loved fragrances (I'm avoiding the "used" word).

If so, do I need to be concerned with them losing strength if kept for a long time?

Too bad about your "fragrance free" office. I assume that applies to B.O. as well as to deliberately applied scents.

The term you may wish to use for your fragrances is "previously-appreciated". People will buy them, I think. I also think they store well; in a cool, dry, dark place.

<Is there a market for previously loved fragrances (I'm avoiding the "used" word).>

Sure. See what gets posted and what sells on the Buy, Sell, Trade Forum here, as an example.

<If so, do I need to be concerned with them losing strength if kept for a long time?
>

There has been a lot of discussion of this on this forum that I cannot begin to summarize. Try searching in the Frag Forum for "storing" or "storage" and you should get some representative hits. Bottom line for me, is keep them out of excess heat and, if you are being really good, away from light, especially direct, or I suppose, indirect sunlight. Keeping completely away from "any" light is hard for me for anything I am currently using. But it is easy enough to put other stuff in a drawer or a box, or the scent's original box. My scents in use are largely on shelves, away from any sunlight, and positioned so that they do not get much light of any kind!

Hope that helps!

As The Knize said, unless subjected to extremes in heat or maybe cold, and sunlight, fragrances are pretty durable.

The bigger problem with buying used is the trust factor of are you getting what you paid for...

My workplace has just gone fragrance free

My resignation would follow soon thereafter :thumbup:

Basenotes has a pretty extensive buy/sell forum as well. Of course, you run the risk of not knowing how someone stores their fragrances, etc., but if you are looking for deals, a certain level of risk is involved with it somewhere.

Last edited:
My workplace has just gone fragrance free

What exactly does that rule mean?

No cologne?

There are quite few other products that we use that are also scented: body wash, shampoo, conditioner, body spray (used in place of deodorant), deodorant.

For someone with a fragrance sensitivity, those could all cause issues.

What exactly does that rule mean?

No cologne?

It likely means someone in the workplace was extremely sensitive to colognes and/or some in the workplace overdid it with the fragrance or some combination of the two. Management got tired of the complaints, so enacted the rule.

A woman in my company's New York office has an extreme allergy to fragrance and is highly sensitive to any frags. (As I arrived all Green Irish Tweed-ed up once, I hear a sneezing fit coming out of her office). Indeed soaps, shampoos, laundry soaps, etc are often scented, but I don't think that scent projects and bothers people with fragrance allergies as much if at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom