What's new

Oh No, Another GPS Thread

Good afternoon chaps. As you can see from the title of this thread, GPS comes up yet again. I have an idea of getting my youngest daughter into geochaching as a way for her and I to spend some time together. And the fact that our geographical location will allow for trudging through the woods or state parks areas, it gives her a chance to experience the fauna of the state which ranges from cottontail rabbit to whitetail deer to badger to even mountain lion.

YES, they are here in the eastern part of Kansas but no one in the state government wants to really confirm that a wild population lives here. I guess the photo of one on our local golf course a few years ago was not convincing enough. Several other incidents leaves no doubt. Who, me? Saying that someone of close relation saw one? Naw, not me. So we can carry cameras and her new air rifle(not for the puddy tats I assure you) for impromptu plinking and snapshot photos.

Now comes the questions about GPS units themselves. I should preface this by saying it is about 99.9% certain if I buy one it will be Garmin. Two things make this sure. And both of them are called friends-who-work-at-Garmin-and-get-me-employee-prices. The corporate headquarters is about thirty miles from my home. So unless there is some hangup(and I will NOT get a friend in trouble by trying to do me a favour) it will be Garmin.

But I have always questioned the need unless you travel...or want to geocache. A couple of things throw me for a loop. There are handheld and car mount units and I understand the handhelds are much more suited to geocaching since they work with topographical maps. Yet if you go to Garmin's website, you will find it a bit confusing as to what maps actually come with each unit. They list things such as 'basemap' and then show topos separately. And I have been given conflicting information as to whether you can load topo maps on a car unit and carry it afield with a portable antenna. And some clerks at various stores seemed to think a bit more highly of Magellan's handhelds and such. Would anyone hazard an opinion on all this?

I would like to be able to buy one unit for both car and field but realise it may not be possible. And even with the "in' at Garmin, sometimes the employees are only able to get great deals on certain models at certain times of the year. And Garmin's website is not really clear on what the major differences are between the model series. Many of the 1300 series seem to overlap the 1400 series but there is noticeable difference in price. One clerk at Best Buy told me it was better processors and lock times on the sats. A higher number model generally meant a better unit, etc. I also quickly realised that for the paltry premium getting the lifetime maps and traffic models is the only way to go. These are spotted by their LMT suffix to the number. It is only about 20-30 dollars more than the models which do not include it. Most map upgrades are 50-60 dollars so it is a no brainer.

I like the looks of the 1490LMT with its five inch screen but have absolutely no knowledge of the handhelds other than they are PRICEY. So help me out guys. Help me spend some of my money. You won't even have to leave your living room!

Regards, Todd

For casual geocaching, the Garmin Venture HC is a good beginner's unit. They come with a basic topo map and can hold up to 500 waypoints. You can usually find one for about $150, less on sale. If they have an iPhone, the Geocaching.com or Geosphere apps are good adjuncts, but nothing really beats a good handheld for field work. I seriously recommend separate car and handheld units. I run all-Garmin, and am quite satisfied. BTW, my next Garmin auto unit will have the lifetime map updates - great bargain.

We have car units (Tom Tom) and a Handheld (Garmin Vista Hcx). You absolutely don't want a car unit for geocaching, as it sees nothing once you are off the road (Heck, in rural areas, I've seen it go misaligned and it thinks you are driving through corn next to the road). The handhelds, OTOH, don't really do turn by turn directions (at least mine doesn't) that you would want for driving. Anyway... I got my Vista for hunting, because I sometimes go alone, and in places that I'm new to (or was when I bought the unit at least). I used it to mark where the car was, a few waypoints, and where I was hunting. I figured that way, if I got lost I could get back home. My unit was maybe 200 bucks a couple years back, and I picked it because it was the cheapest that had a color display and a real compass (with the cheaper ones, you had to be moving to get a bearing). The basemap, as I recall, wasn't real detailed. The garmin maps are really expensive, but there are free high res maps available here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com . I got the Iowa and georgia ones. It's been a while since I did it, but basically, you just need a micro SD card to store each.

For Geocaching you'll want a proper hand held unit.
However for a car, the Garmin 1490 is awesome!!!
I have the Garmin 1490LT. I got it from Walmart for $130 as a refurbished unit.
I love it to death. It's fast at acquiring the satelites, easy to use and has a 5" screen.
I wouldn't suggest anything less than the 5" screen.
A ton of POI places and all the features you'll need.
You can even go to the Garmin website and download new icons for the little arrow (mine's a piece of pizza).

From what I understand the 1450 is the same as the 1490 except the 1490 has bluetooth in it.

An excellent buy. Good choice (for a car).

I have a Garmin 755W 4.3" and I love it. I got a free map update with it and downloaded (for free) a red '69 Mustang as my on-screen car. (I drive a Taurus and a Sunfire) Lots of great downloads available from voices to vehicles and other add-ons. But, the ACCURACY is what makes it the best. It has never let me down on many out-of-state trips.

My father-in-law just asked for buying advice and he bought the ^Garmin 1490^ with the 5" screen and loves it.

Definitely go with a Garmin. I actually went into a store and plugged directions to my next vacation into each brand and the Garmin is the only one that gave me a quicker, more direct route. The Tom Tom gave the worst directions with the most turns and nearly an hour longer trip! The Magellan seemed decent, but the Garmin is the best in my opinion and I've done research and testing to arrive at that stance.

Last edited:
With Garmin handhelds you need to purchase mapping software separately in order to have detailed maps. I have the 60gtx and it works well. It also offers turn by turn directions when driving.

Wow lads, great responses. It is precisely the type of information I need. I was hoping against hope I think for a one device solution. I immediately homed in on the 1490LMT since BestBuy(divorce store for men?) has it on special for $179 this week. Garmin's online price is around $250 and BestBuy's regular prices is the same I think. I don't know if my friends at Garmin could get that price even with employee discount. So it may go into the shopping cart. Thanks again for some very helpful information. Keep it coming please.

Regards, Todd

I use a Garmin Colorado every day at work. It is fairly ding resistant, quick to pick up the satellite signal, and can be loaded with topographic maps. Mine has survived a very harsh desert climate with the occasional monsoon rain soaking thrown in. I believe I paid $200 at Amazon for mine.

I got my Dad a 72 for the boat. It fills his need, but it really is not what I should have gotten him. I talked it over with him before purchase and the lack of mapping is a real problem. Garmin will service your unit, no matter how old it is. They may not be able to FIX it if the parts are not made anymore, but they will try.

I have a Lowrance Globalmap100, one of the last using Lowrance built intending to stand behind it. Lowrance NOW simply sends you a coupon to get a new unit instead of servicing your old unit.

I used to work at a dealer for Garmin and Lowrance (and Standard, Icom, Raymarine, and Uniden) I was always impressed that Garmin would still stand behind a 10+ year old unit.

Phil

Top Bottom