What's new

Of interest to those who CCW

Ad Astra

The Instigator
CCW creates more situation awareness & avoidance for me. I've had situations present themselves that would have been handled differently had I been unarmed and/or younger. My mental state has changed from "I will right the wrong, regardless of risk", to "I have a family (wife & adult kids) and I assess situations very differently". There is ABSOLUTELY nothing I wouldn't do to protect my family. But I assess instead of react today. I've a had a few recent incidents in Pittsburgh with my wife. I was prepared if things escalated, but I would have no part of the escalation.

OODA loop. Me, too!

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have seen one open carry right after Texas changed the law. There was a guy in QT at Hebron and 121 in Carrollton. I have never seen another. This is a metroplex close to 8 million people, if very many were doing it I think I would have seen a few more.

I have seen two here in E. Texas, one at the service dept at a local car dealer. He was leaned over some tires or something, facing away from me, gun butt sticking way up. I commented that he should be more aware of retention if he was open carrying, and that I was concealed carrying at the time. I just hope he agreed. The other was an older man shopping in a grocery store. My feeling is that I know that getting the gun into action will be much slower with my method of carry, in pocket, than open and easily accessible, but I do not have to worry about retention, someone attacking me from behind in a parking lot ect, just to get a gun.

I am not the police
I am not here to protect and serve
I will never use a firearm unless myself or my family were in immediate danger.
If I see a crime I will hide, observe, and commit to memory all that I see. I will not interject myself into any situation, regardless of how serious it is.

I've carried concealed for almost 35 years and have never found myself in serious enough danger to resort to even considering the use of a firearm. Age is creeping up on me and I am not as fast as I used to be as in years gone by. Now I would try to conceal myself rather than relying on my feet to get me away.

I agree. At 74 years of age, I am not out there to protect the public. My wife, myself, and when my son and his family are here are another matter. I would much rather slip away or hide. The other big thing is using a gun will probably open a lot of expensive, troublesome legal problems.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have seen one open carry right after Texas changed the law. There was a guy in QT at Hebron and 121 in Carrollton. I have never seen another. This is a metroplex close to 8 million people, if very many were doing it I think I would have seen a few more.
See it all the time here on the Fort Worth side.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I agree. At 74 years of age, I am not out there to protect the public. My wife, myself, and when my son and his family are here are another matter. I would much rather slip away or hide. The other big thing is using a gun will probably open a lot of expensive, troublesome legal problems.
US Law Shield is under $15 a month.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Interesting. We have had Open Carry on the books for 3 or 4 years now and I haven't seen a single one in the OKC Metro.

I haven't seen any open carry in Tulsa when I've been there, only in Pryor at a gas station and Wallyworld. None around here...except for the rifles carried in the floorboard of the pickups when you glance inside. That has been legal and a custom for decades, but this is a rural area.

If you don't do the rifle and shotgun rack in the back window of your truck thing, like used to be normal, it cuts down on theft possibilities now days. Kinda sad, but it would make for a good bait car.

Last few times I was in Pryor I didn't see any either...the ones I saw were right after the open carry law passed there. Go figure.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It does seem more feasible to open carry in a rural less populated place then a heavy populated city.

I probably still wouldn’t do it myself.

The town closest to me is approx. 1,000 people. Small, rural, how do I put this politely...… less educated? type people (mostly young) seen open carrying.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Open carry is a terrible idea, IMHO. I won't even show a knife.

Frightens sheeple. Advises potential assailants of exactly what you're armed with, and how you carry it.

Google the "gray man" concept (if you are new to the term). Blend in ... always. There is no camo or NRA sticker, Glock sticker, etc. on my stuff. Political stickers, either. Do not invite interest or attack ...

AA

Frightens sheeple. Advises potential assailants of exactly what you're armed with, and how you carry it.

Google the "gray man" concept (if you are new to the term). Blend in ... always. There is no camo or NRA sticker, Glock sticker, etc. on my stuff. Political stickers, either. Do not invite interest or attack ...

AA
I agree. Others argue with me about rights and being your own person, promoting what you believe in and what not. For me, I do not like drama. I like to blend in, keep my head down, and get back to the country where I can be "alone" and away from crazys.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I agree. Others argue with me about rights and being your own person, promoting what you believe in and what not. For me, I do not like drama. I like to blend in, keep my head down, and get back to the country where I can be "alone" and away from crazys.

Invisible.

"To live well, you must live unseen." - Rene Descartes.

I hike alone where there are bears, snakes and other critters. Only people startle me.

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

AA
Exactly. I never have put bumper stickers on my car. Firstly, you’re going to upset 50% of the people who see it. Secondly, IMO they look tacky. Brings to mind the story of someone who saw a “honk if you love Jesus” sticker on a car, so they honked and got flipped off in return. :lol:

We have an abundance of open carry incidents up here in the North GA hills. Best spots for Rambo sightings are the local Wal Mart. Ingles' market is a semi-distant runner up.
Oddly once crossing into Tennessee the open carry frequency drops off quite a bit. No idea why; locales in both states are very pro-firearm and are in fact self- declared "Firearm Sanctuaries".
Me? Open carry is looking for a problem I do not want or need.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We have an abundance of open carry incidents up here in the North GA hills. Best spots for Rambo sightings are the local Wal Mart. Ingles' market is a semi-distant runner up.
Oddly once crossing into Tennessee the open carry frequency drops off quite a bit. No idea why; locales in both states are very pro-firearm and are in fact self- declared "Firearm Sanctuaries".
Me? Open carry is looking for a problem I do not want or need.
Me, it depends on time and place. I've openly carried now off and on for over a half century and it's never been an issue. I have had a few, very few comments and they have all be pleasant and either a chance for exchanging tales or in a few cases getting together at a range. But it depends on a whole host of ever changing conditions. What is the general attitude in a given area? Is it something that is known to upset someone? Is it done is a low key secured manner?

The one thing I have found to be a common factor is that n general, the public is oblivious to most everything. Also look closely. Do you see what I'm carrying?

proxy.php

AA
So much this.

We've all mentioned avoiding confrontation. If trouble is determined to seek us out giving up our best tactical advantage, SURPRISE, is only going to make things harder generally.

A lot of what I hear regarding open carry seems to believe that a visual deterrent makes them less of a target. I pretty vehemently disagree. I agree with the right to open carry but for me it would be a last resort.

I'm in a group on a major social media platform called "1000 days of dryfire". The admin is a pretty well known trainer named Claude Werner. He posts a lot of interesting training tips and a lot of analysis of incidents like this shooting. His analysis of the dumpster showdown a couple years ago was great. I dropped the OP's link in there because not enough people can learn from this guy's many mistakes.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago I had to laugh at all of the people at the Gun Show in Mesquite wearing their long guns. The shows are always posted 30.06 and 30.07. So the permit holders cannot carry a hand gun. They also have it well posted all firearms must be unloaded. So they are walking around with empty long guns. You can tell who has something they bought and who has not.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just don't get it.

Top Bottom