What's new

Of interest to those who CCW

I am not the police
I am not here to protect and serve
I will never use a firearm unless myself or my family were in immediate danger.
If I see a crime I will hide, observe, and commit to memory all that I see. I will not interject myself into any situation, regardless of how serious it is.

I've carried concealed for almost 35 years and have never found myself in serious enough danger to resort to even considering the use of a firearm. Age is creeping up on me and I am not as fast as I used to be as in years gone by. Now I would try to conceal myself rather than relying on my feet to get me away.

I have a temper, and came to that realization a few decades ago. I have worked on that since. I do a pretty good job of conflict avoidance. Pride is not worth jail time, nor my mental health. Taking a life is a hell of a thing, and not something I want to deal with unless totally necessary.

I have found that I will avoid conflict. I am much more reserved and agreeable since carrying. Any argument or disagreement has nowhere to go except down.

I am always mr. congeniality.

I do have one amusing story about concealed carry.

I had just moved to Florida from NJ had did not have a CCL yet. I had been to a shooting range and bought two pistols with me to the range. I asked the checkout person at the range where the nearest mall was and she gave me directions. It was about 7:00 p.m. when I got to the mall. As was my custom, I parked my car near an entrance to a large store and under a light. There were very few cars in the mall at the time. When I closed and locked the door to my car I noticed two rather large dudes walking fast to me. I later learned that this mall had problems with carjackings and muggings. I went to the trunk of my car and got a Glock 17 out of my range bag. The Glock mags had no ammo in it but I inserted the empty mag in the Glock in a way that these men could see it. I then pulled the slide back and held the pistol up in view. The two men did an about face and walked away. I got in my car and drove away. The next day I attended a class to get my CCL!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My CCW story. I was in Kansas City MO, I lived there at the time. I was rolling through a DUI checkpoint. I was carrying at the time. In MO you must inform the officer, this officer happened to be a State Trooper. I was having all of this stuff going through my mind as he approached on what I was going to do. He arrived at the window I had my licenses out and proof of insurance. I handed it all to him when asked, and informed him I had a pistol concealed on my right hip. His response, please leave it there. He handed me my documents back and away I went. He never even asked if I had been drinking. Easiest damn DUI checkpoint I have driven through.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great story
I do have one amusing story about concealed carry.

I had just moved to Florida from NJ had did not have a CCL yet. I had been to a shooting range and bought two pistols with me to the range. I asked the checkout person at the range where the nearest mall was and she gave me directions. It was about 7:00 p.m. when I got to the mall. As was my custom, I parked my car near an entrance to a large store and under a light. There were very few cars in the mall at the time. When I closed and locked the door to my car I noticed two rather large dudes walking fast to me. I later learned that this mall had problems with carjackings and muggings. I went to the trunk of my car and got a Glock 17 out of my range bag. The Glock mags had no ammo in it but I inserted the empty mag in the Glock in a way that these men could see it. I then pulled the slide back and held the pistol up in view. The two men did an about face and walked away. I got in my car and drove away. The next day I attended a class to get my CCL!
great story Jim!

OkieStubble

My CCW story. I was in Kansas City MO, I lived there at the time. I was rolling through a DUI checkpoint. I was carrying at the time. In MO you must inform the officer, this officer happened to be a State Trooper. I was having all of this stuff going through my mind as he approached on what I was going to do. He arrived at the window I had my licenses out and proof of insurance. I handed it all to him when asked, and informed him I had a pistol concealed on my right hip. His response, please leave it there. He handed me my documents back and away I went. He never even asked if I had been drinking. Easiest damn DUI checkpoint I have driven through.

CCL definitely communicates upstanding and law abiding to me.

CCL definitely communicates upstanding and law abiding to me.
A short while back CCL was a big thing around here. Seemed as if everyone was doing it. Then I do not know if it was a new law or just brought to attention, but apparently Kansas is an open carry state. Then it seemed every Tom, Dick, and Harry felt the need to strap a dirty harry pistol to his hip to go out to eat or walk in the convenient store to get a soda. I was never 100% sure on if I wanted or needed a CCL so I never got one. But the open carry craze just irritated me for some reason. Sort of turned me off on the idea of carrying period. Just never have found my firm belief on the matter to stand on. So I just mostly sit back and take in the goings on.

A short while back CCL was a big thing around here. Seemed as if everyone was doing it. Then I do not know if it was a new law or just brought to attention, but apparently Kansas is an open carry state. Then it seemed every Tom, Dick, and Harry felt the need to strap a dirty harry pistol to his hip to go out to eat or walk in the convenient store to get a soda. I was never 100% sure on if I wanted or needed a CCL so I never got one. But the open carry craze just irritated me for some reason. Sort of turned me off on the idea of carrying period. Just never have found my firm belief on the matter to stand on. So I just mostly sit back and take in the goings on.

Arizona adopted open carry a few years after I got my CCL. However, not many folks open carry - at least in my area.

Arizona adopted open carry a few years after I got my CCL. However, not many folks open carry - at least in my area.
They both sort of died off around here. Once the "cool factor" wore off. Now it is back to the serious people getting the CCL I suppose and the goof balls are on to the next craze I guess. I am sort of out of the loop these days.

E60002B2-2E27-4B7D-9DBB-44293A21639D.jpeg

Why do I post this meme? Because it’s accurate. There’s many a man who’ve spent good money on their firearms and fantasize of the day they can use em. To the point they skew the obvious crimes they’d be committing internally in the name of some ill-conceived internal heroic monologue only understandable to themselves and God.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am not the police
I am not here to protect and serve
I will never use a firearm unless myself or my family were in immediate danger.
If I see a crime I will hide, observe, and commit to memory all that I see. I will not interject myself into any situation, regardless of how serious it is.

I've carried concealed for almost 35 years and have never found myself in serious enough danger to resort to even considering the use of a firearm. Age is creeping up on me and I am not as fast as I used to be as in years gone by. Now I would try to conceal myself rather than relying on my feet to get me away.
Yep. Something few think about is that if there is an active shooter situation, and you decide to play hero just as the cops arrive- well, it might not end well for you. Look for an exit and get out, if possible.

Personally, I am not a fan of open carry. I prefer not to advertise my firearms. It gives a potential bad guy a heads up as to who might stop his or her criminal activity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Haven’t taken the LTC course yet, but I believe it is a requirement to inform the officer that you’re armed. He already knows if you have a license (most have computers in their cars now).
I'm too old to be a hero and too tired for a fight so I'd much rather just have a smoothie.
I’ll join you.

OkieStubble

View attachment 1069575

Why do I post this meme? Because it’s accurate. There’s many a man who’ve spent good money on their firearms and fantasize of the day they can use em. To the point they skew the obvious crimes they’d be committing internally in the name of some ill-conceived internal heroic monologue only understandable to themselves and God.

well, to themselves for sure.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I was wondering about that when open carry passed here. I figured the young guys would want to play cowboy and would be carrying most places. I have seen Zero open carry here. The only open carry I've seen was in N.E. Oklahoma at the gas pumps when an older gentleman had combat tupperware on his hip, and three or four in the Wally World up there.

I may just put on my cowboy suit (Old West Outfitters shirt, vest, pants, suspenders, hat, etc.) and go into town with my El Paso Saddlery 1880s holster and money belt on, with the 1894 Colt single action in the leather and see what happens.

CCW creates more situation awareness & avoidance for me. I've had situations present themselves that would have been handled differently had I been unarmed and/or younger. My mental state has changed from "I will right the wrong, regardless of risk", to "I have a family (wife & adult kids) and I assess situations very differently". There is ABSOLUTELY nothing I wouldn't do to protect my family. But I assess instead of react today. I've a had a few recent incidents in Pittsburgh with my wife. I was prepared if things escalated, but I would have no part of the escalation.

OkieStubble

I was wondering about that when open carry passed here. I figured the young guys would want to play cowboy and would be carrying most places. I have seen Zero open carry here. The only open carry I've seen was in N.E. Oklahoma at the gas pumps when an older gentleman had combat tupperware on his hip, and three or four in the Wally World up there.

I may just put on my cowboy suit (Old West Outfitters shirt, vest, pants, suspenders, hat, etc.) and go into town with my El Paso Saddlery 1880s holster and money belt on, with the 1894 Colt single action in the leather and see what happens.

Interesting. We have had Open Carry on the books for 3 or 4 years now and I haven't seen a single one in the OKC Metro.

Top Bottom