What's new

October Contest

Even though only 7% of all breast cancer cases occur in women under 40 years old, younger women are generally at a more advanced stage of breast cancer when diagnosed.

Risk factors for breast cancer includes starting menopause after age 55, never having children or having them after the age of 35, having high bone density, aging, or the number one risk factor for breast cancer.... Simply being a woman.

This is exactly why we have to spread awareness. I have a dear friend who just had a double mastectomy at age 37. Caught a very rage but aggressive breast cancer within a year of developing and they say her survival rate is about 97%.

My grandmother also had both of her breasts removed. They caught it early, and she is now 85 and going strong.

The causes of breast cancer are not fully understood. Although it is clear that age, gender and lifetime exposure to estrogen and other factors play an important role. Because no one knows exactly what causes breast cancer, there are no sure ways to prevent it. However, there are steps that you can take that may reduce your risk. These include maintaining a healthy weight, adding exercise into your routine, limiting alcohol intake and postmenopausal hormones, and breastfeeding if you can. For women at higher risk, tamoxifen or raloxifene may be taken to reduce the risk of breast cancer.

From: http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content_Binaries/806-316a.pdf

While histologic and cytologic methods for classifying breast cancer are still common today, there have been numerous studies in recent years using gene-expression signatures in profiling breast cancers. These studies have shown that gene-expression profiling using micro-arrays is a much better indicator of 5 year metastasis-free survival than traditional NIH grading criteria.

Also, ER+ breast cancers have generally better prognosis than ER- tumors. ER+ tumors are commonly treated with Tamoxifen, an estrogen analogue which binds to ER without inducing the normal proliferative signaling cascade.

While Estrogen has been given to women in menopause to alleviate symptoms, it has been linked to causing an increase in cancer, particularly breast and uterine cancers.

Also, in patients with BRCA1/BRCA2 mutations, there is a relatively new treatment that disables the BER pathway. This type of treatment is called "synthetic lethality," and can result in complete tumor regression. I can't find the original paper, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Too young to get breast cancer
While it's true that your breast cancer risk increases as you get older, the fact is that women of all ages are at risk for developing breast cancer.

Last edited:
Known Risk Factors
All women are at risk for developing breast cancer whether they have known risk factors or not. In fact, the majority of breast cancer patients had no known risk factors, other than being female.

Last edited:
BC is not completely preventable
An antiestrogen called, Tamoxifen may decrease breast cancer risk in certain women, although breast cancer is not completely preventable. The real key to surviving breast cancer is early detection and treatment.

Last edited:
Mamogram Radiation Risk
The benefits of annual mammograms far outweigh any risks that may occur because of the minute amount of radiation used during this screening and diagnostic procedure.

Last edited:
Symptoms of Breast Cancer

an abnormal lump or thickening in or near the breast or underarm area
any change in the size or shape of the breast
abnormal discharge from the nipple
change in the color or texture of the breast, aureola, or nipple
any dimpling or puckering of the breast.

Last edited:
Bay rum aftershave milk ;)

Birth Control & Breast cancer
OC = Oral Contraceptives I think

"Over the last 15 years, various studies examining the use of OCs as a risk factor for breast cancer have produced inconsistent results. While most have found no overall increased risk for breast cancer associated with OC use, in June 1995 investigators at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) reported an increased risk of developing breast cancer among women under age 35 who had used birth control pills for at least 6 months, compared with those who had never used them. They also saw a slightly lower, but still elevated risk among women ages 35 to 44. In addition, their research showed a higher risk among long-term OC users, especially those who had started to take the pill before age 18."
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/breastcancer/a/brcncroralcontr.htm

Obesity. In general, studies indicate that there is a strong correlation between increased weight and breast cancer, especially for those with a weight increase in adolescence or after menopause. Body fat composition in the upper body also increases your risk.

Physically active women can reduce their risk of breast cancer by 25%, according to a review of research published online ahead of print in the British Journal of Sports Medicine. The biggest risk reduction was seen in lean women who enjoyed recreational physical activity, as compared with obese women and those whose physical activity was work or housework-related. This is a negative result for those who log 10,000 steps a day on their jobs without engaging in dedicated exercise activities.

Alcohol consumption. There is controversy regarding the relationship of alcohol consumption to breast cancer risk. Some studies suggest that there is a 20 percent increased risk of breast cancer when women consume one or more alcoholic beverages a day, compared to women who do not drink.
Other recent studies have indicated that red wine has some protective elements in lowering the risk of breast cancer. In general, it is recommended that a woman limit her consumption of alcoholic beverages to no more than one drink a day.

I keep coming with those facts :)

In situ (Latin for “in its original place”) breast carcinoma describes a type of precancerous cells that remain in one location and have not spread to surrounding tissue.

Dense breasts. The presence of dense breasts found with a mammogram indicates that there is a high ratio of connective and glandular tissue to fat. This makes it harder to detect masses or tumors with a mammogram. Having dense breasts is typically associated with pre-menopausal women with higher estrogen levels in the body, resulting in greater amounts of dense glandular tissue.

Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Without.Lumps

""If I told you that you could have breast cancer without ever having any palpable lumps in your breasts, it might be difficult for you to believe. However, one rare form of breast cancer called inflammatory breast cancer or IBC rarely causes the solid lump tumors that we’re used to hearing about. In fact, this type of breast cancer typically forms as sheets or webs of tumor that are difficult to detect. Breast self-exams and mammograms offer little to no value in diagnosing IBC. Correct diagnosis of this type of breast cancer is rare the first time a woman visits her healthcare provider when she has the signs and symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer. It is quite common that women with IBC first receive a diagnosis of infection in the breast one or more times. Sadly, because this type of breast cancer is the fastest growing type, by the time diagnosis occurs inflammatory breast cancer has usually reached its’ later stages.""
Full article:
http://womenshealth.about.com/od/breastcancer/a/IBC.htm

Who is At Risk for Developing Inflammatory Breast Cancer?

""An estimated one to six percent of new breast cancer cases are inflammatory breast cancer. African American women are slightly more likely than Caucasian women to have IBC. In fact, up to ten percent of all cases of new breast cancer in African American women are inflammatory breast cancer while, only six percent of new breast cancers in Caucasian women are IBC, and about five percent of new breast cancers in women of all other races are of this type.
Inflammatory breast cancer occurs more often in much younger women than more common forms of breast cancer. Pregnant or breastfeeding women are not immune to IBC and the disease is often seen in this group of women. Men also can have inflammatory breast cancer, as well as other types of breast cancer. Breast cancer, including IBC, is seen in men an estimated 1,600 times annually in the U.S.""
http://womenshealth.about.com/od/breastcancer/a/IBC.htm

I feel I've learned a lot more about breast cancer now after reading all of these tidbits. This contest was a very cool way to raise my awareness. Thanks
My grandma died of breast and lung cancer but I never really knew all that much about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom