What's new

OCtober 2020

1918 Gillette Thin Cap Old Type / Derby Extra / AoS Sandlewood pre/soap/balm — got caught up in the Seattle/Cardinal game I recorded, so did a quick two-pass shave. I don’t think I’ll get to all of my OCs, but all of the categories were represented (OTs NEWs Proback, GEMS Segal)
A76A5A8C-2FD6-436E-AA8F-D0C338F8244A.jpeg

C18A9F46-45DD-4CC0-A2D0-DDF112F877A1.jpeg

Pre: -
Razor: FOCS
Blade: Nacet 3rd use
Brush: Trafalgar T3
Soap: Tabac puck
Result: DFS

The lather is getting better. Many thanks for pointing out to gently squeeze out the initial water before loading up. It’s a major difference to shaking out a boar brush. The Nacet is smoothing out as well but still keeps a bit of a bite. I don’t think that I have found the right razor for it yet. OCtober is coming to a close so I will keep the Nacet for a round with my Gold Tech in November. Next one up will be a Gillette Silver Blue.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, OCtober 26th, 2020

Razor:Gem Micromatic open comb- Mfg 1930-41, excellent mid range. More than likely saved the company through the dirty 30's.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) Excellent blade, very sharp, good longevity, nicely smooths out & predictable.
Soap:Razorock The Dead Sea- nice scent with excellent lather qualities- nice heavy glass container.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice tuxedo knot 26 mm- excellent lather creator with those cloud like soft tips & some back bone.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on clean beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem MMOC and Gem blade.
MMMonday OCtober 26th, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

20201025_074918.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
cartoon1603657013681.jpg

SOTD
  • NEW SC
  • Nacet (5)
  • Tabac!
  • Yaqi 24mm badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I think that the NEW SC has replaced the Old Type as my favorite OC. It's unfortunate that I can't trust the OT anymore, but I'm perfectly happy with the general efficiency of the SC.

A stunning shave this weekend:

1938 British Aristocrat, Faux Ebony Duke 3, Mitchel’s Wool Fat

Razor is stunning: it had been used maybe a handful of times when I received it a couple of weeks ago

Discovered a trick to curing hard water woes: soaked brush in bottled water, after heating water in a tea kettle to 130℉

F538C117-B7CC-4AF7-AD23-07530FCF84EA.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20201026_194804.jpg

Razor: Parker 26c
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Brush: Yaqi 26mm lucky dice tuxedo knot
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

This blade is my favourite pairing with the 26c. Despite not using the MWF since the end of August I had no trouble lathering because I keep it wet in an airtight tub (I have been on a 3017 kick since the beginning of September) it was great to have a change and made today's shave all the more enjoyable.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday October 26, 2020
Razor: Gem MMOC mit Bumpen
Blade: Personna Stainless PTFE (1)
Brush: That darn Wilkinson Sword boar again...
Soap: Proraso Green tub

IMG_0439[1].JPG

This MMOC was a wild find a couple of years ago. Seemed like I should have one, and as I recall it was about $10. It's in solid user condition, with a little brassing on the facets of the lid. Somebody used it a fair bit, but it lived in pretty clean circumstances. In the classic "real Gem" line the MMOC is the best shaver I've encountered. There isn't a huge amount of variation -- my Gem Jr. Bar is almost as smooth, but not quite.

A fresh Gem blade is a rare pleasure (because you only get it once per blade...). This morning's shave reminded me that the MMOC -- while not my favourite Gem-ish shaver -- has some serious chops. I managed a pretty effortless DFS, which has "bloomed" into a BBS as the skin has rehydrated. I was thinking that especially with my normal "it's Monday and I haven't shaved since Friday" that I should probably default to a 3-pass shave as I do with most vintage razors. However, once I started on a 2-pass I just kept at it. This may be my only vintage razor that can pull off that trick!

I have some new brushes I should use, and will eventually. I keep using the Wilkinson Sword boar because I leave it on the counter to dry for a couple days so I can put it away, but in a couple days I'm ready to shave again and here's this brush already on the counter that seems to be breaking in well. I have a new Omega (10005), a Semogue (Owner's Club Cherry) and a Simpson's T2 Trafalgar to try. I have a feeling either the T2 or my older RazoRock Beehive synthetic may become my travel brush. In the event I ever travel again, of course. These days driving to the mailbox is a real thrill and almost an excuse to pack a lunch.

O.H.

OCtober 26 - MMOC Monday and the last cry of the Starling?

Brassy bumpless MMOC vs PAA Starling OC
GEM PTFE (8) shared
SliceOfLife puck - tribute to vintage Williams
Reknotted Solid Set boar
Alum, Richard's Rub, glassed Clubman

C791F03F-CA5C-4B71-AC8F-8CDD7014E2DA.jpeg

The MMOC won this contest on all fronts. It might be bye, bye birdie. PAA is out of stock and someone may need a Starling more than I do.

Even my unschooled nose can detect a difference between the Clubman decanted to glass and the remainder in the original plastic. I may need to do some blind tests.

Top Bottom