What's new

OCtober 2019

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, here's another razor for the rack, to coin a stupid phrase...:001_tongu

October 30th, OCtober Shave No. 10 -- I think.

IMG_0332.JPG

Razor: Above the Tie S2
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Soap: Proraso Green Tub
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Synthetic
After: Nivea Sensitive Skin

Looking back through the shave diary I spend a little time with every time I shave, I note that most of my OCtober shaves are with the S2. That noted, in my limited "collection" of OC razors I have quite a bit of diversity across just five examples. Those examples, in approximate order of manufacture, are: Kampfe Star "New Model", Gem MMOC, ATT S2, PAA Starling V2, and ATT SE2. I tend to mentally place the Star and the SE2 at the extremes of razors that need a very close level of attention, while the other three all seem to be mild forgiving razors though there are differences between them.

The MMOC is the oldest of the three, one of most iconic razors in the SE world, but notwithstanding is a little more irritating than other Gem-styles I use. The PAA Starling V2 comes with its own set of baggage, but setting aside the constant debate (and resultant free advertising) over the maker this is in my opinion a very well-thought-out Gem style razor.

The best that can be achieved with it is to fit a stainless handle to it for a bit of additional mass. I would really like to see this razor come out in stainless. I get the economic decisions behind aluminum, but find them less engaging. Somebody makes this exact geometry in stainless, they're gonna get my money. (And yes, I've made that opinion known to the designers.) Very honestly: with the ATT Kronos handle the PAA Starling V2 is good enough that I'd grab it SECOND if I were fleeing a forest fire. Which could happen. We've been close two out of the last three years -- one reason I'm not keen on a huge collection of anything: it's not portable in an emergency.

As I say, I spent the most time with the ATT S2. In fact, I'm amused to further note that I spent the majority of time with the S2 during SLANTember last month, although I also celebrated SEptember (and spent most of that time with the Starling). I guess that reflects my own approach to shaving. We all have to find our own balance between getting a shave good enough to take to work or out for the evening; and using cool, quirky, idiosyncratic or downright scary razors just to see how they work.

Since most of the time I want a drama-free shave that requires just enough attention to make me concentrate, I went with the razor that fills that need for me. I had a couple of mornings when I knew I had a little more time, and used it to roll out the Star or the SE2. One good thing about OCtober is I finally came to a workable arrangement with the SE2. No blood was spilled, decent shaves were had, it was OK.

So there you go...that was my OCtober.

O.H.

Weds OCtober 30

Up today is my Timeless SS OC .95 with scallop cap.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Weds)
Brush - Simpson The Duke 3 Manchurian Badger
Blade - Gillette Platinum (10)
Razor - Timeless SS OC .95 scallop cap
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 5 of 5
F5490940-86A0-4BFA-8ED0-181E2910E831.jpeg

SOTD
  • Tabac
  • Maggards 24mm Synthetic
  • Thin-cap Old Type on '45 Ball End Tech Handle
  • Nacet (1)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Gentlemen's Grooming Black Pepper & Thistle ASB
  • Vintage Avon Moonwind Cologne AS

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0007 - Edited.jpg

Thursday 10.31.19 SOTD
RazoRock Essential Oil Of Lime Shave Oil
Karve Christopher Bradley Gladius OC “C” Plate / Feather (3)
Yaqi R1730 Sagarda Familia Tuxedo
RazoRock "What the Puck?!" Orange Sunrise
Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash

DSCF0011 - Edited.jpg

For me, still the greatest of all time: R41

OCtober Shave #7

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: ASP
Soap: Speick active
Brush: DScosmtics 24mm
AfterShave: Old Spice

582EEB4F-0379-4010-9FAF-35AB5094E241.jpeg

OCtober shave #16

DE: 15c with Derby blade
Soap: Tabac
AS: Tabac
ASB: Occitane Cade

As I took part in Tabactober as well as OCtober, I used pretty much the same setup for the whole month, Tabac shaving soap with 15c. Normally I rotate through my shaving soaps and DEs on almost a weekly basis, so using the same setup a whole month was a great experience. It allowed me to exclude both hardware and software variances and concentrate purely on the technique and shave preparation.

OCtober shave #29
Merkur 41C + Gillette Super Stainless (2)
Used CO Bigelow as a preshave.
Face lathered with Muhle XL & Tabac Original.
3 passes + touch ups to DFS. User error is responsible for 2 nicks. No irritation. The nicks stopped on or before the Witch Hazel. Finished with Nivea ASB. Still a pleasant shave.

OCtober Shave 29

1906 Gillette Single Ring razor
Gillette Nacet blade (9)
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

Oct 30
Razor: New LC
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
AS: Old Spice
Balm: Nivea

One more day then I have a load of razors to clean.

OCtober shave #30
PAA Ascension ss
PolSilver (1)
B&M Terror
RR 24 Barrel badger

I had planned to change razors one more time to finish out OCtober, but yesterday's shave was too good with the Ascension.
With a new Polsilver it yielded near perfect results today, with comfort. I like this razor. Tomorrow I'll probably pick it up again.

As I took part in Tabactober as well as OCtober, I used pretty much the same setup for the whole month, Tabac shaving soap with 15c. Normally I rotate through my shaving soaps and DEs on almost a weekly basis, so using the same setup a whole month was a great experience. It allowed me to exclude both hardware and software variances and concentrate purely on the technique and shave preparation.
Excellent! For me, that's the main point, followed closely by the camaraderie. :D

How does it shave? Never seen or heard of one. Nice looking razor.
Thanks bdehne
It's capable of a very agressive shave. Its a cage razor and you can adjust aggressiveness by tightening the handle. The problem is that there is no "indicator" so repeatability is an issue.

I use it so that the blade is clamped enough but at the same time not bending the "cage" and a 2pass gives somewhere between a DFS and a BBS.

OCtober 30 - Tour of Europe

Shave before dawn, post before midnight

Merkur 41 / Feather (3)
Kapo=Karo Classic cream / brick Cella
Omega boar
Witch hazel splash

Short and sweet, classic shave goods all round...
D154A360-C168-407C-9CEA-32A615F2DAAD.jpeg

Final Shave of October
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #9
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
EDC: No. 74 Collection
IMG_0370a.JPG

proxy.php

My last OCtober shave.