OCtober 2019

OCtober Shave #31

Razor: Gem Damaskeene OC
Blade: Gem PTFE (7)
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat
Brush: RazoRock 400 Synthetic
Aftershave: Whiskey Woods

Great shave today.

@Flintstone65 this was great I really enjoyed the month of open combs. Thanks so much for hosting it Sir.

Last shave of OCtober:

Razor: Merkur 25C
Blade: Voskhod
Soap: Proraso red in the tub
Brush: Semogue 820 boar
Aftershave: Nivea Balm

Happy Holloween ya'll! And again, thanks to @Flintstone65 for organizing the madness!

Thursday OCtober 31

I spent the last few evenings honing 8 wedge blades and my hope was that one or a couple/few I honed properly. I varied my technique slightly for each blade thinking I can adopt the technique used for which ever blade is honed best - assuming at least one is honed well. For today's shave, I used 3 of those wedges in 3 lather catchers for my shave and to test how I did honing.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin
Brush - Simpson 400-3
Blade1 - Kampfe Bros Star
Razor1 - Kampfe Bros Star lather catcher US Pat 6/15/80, Eng Pat 3/8/87
Blade2 - M-K Heljestrand
Razor2 - Kindal Heljestrand lather catcher
Blade3 - Heljestrand
Razor3 - CV Heljestrand lather catcher
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S

Shave rating 5 of 5

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, all 3 are lather catchers but all 3 are also OC for OCtober. I started with the Kampfe with Kampfe blade WTG on one cheek by my ear. The blade was cutting but could have cut better. I switched to the Kindal with MK blade when I started on my other cheek. This blade felt a little sharper than the Kampfe. When I got to my neck and chin and mouth area, I switched to the other Heljestrand with the regular Heljestrand blade. Wow, this wedge was sharp and cut smoothly. I actually honed one blade so far well. Anyway, I finished up the first pass and did the 2nd pass XTG with the Heljestrand with regular Heljestrand blade. 2 passes, overall DFS+ with my cheeks down to my jawline BBS. It would be an understatement to say I'm happy. I just need to see how I did with the other wedges (I have 5 more to test). At worst, I can follow the honing technique I used for this Heljestrand blade for the rest of my un-honed blades. I finished off with the Epsilon Blue A/S.

Overall, an excellent shave. Now on to NOvember.

Happy shaves to everyone.
FA3501B0-A7CD-4892-B48F-C08DCBADCE6B.jpeg
722FF133-FEB2-42AB-8A6C-7F4857CC8C6B.jpeg

OCtober 31 shave

Gillette Old Type
Vintage boar brush
Pre de Provence
Corn Huskers lotion

Good shave and most likely my last OC shave of the year.

My final shave for OCtober 2019.

An almost completely vintage shave. Just the balm was more modern. This Dove balm is great stuff, a pity they pulled it off the shelves.

SOTD - Thursday 31 October 2019

Tools:

- Vintage Shulton Old Spice Aftershave
- Dove Hydrate Balm
- Vintage South African Williams Shave Stick Soap
- Vintage 1950s Culmak Boar Brush
- Vintage English Wilkinson Sword Blade - 1st Shave
- Gillette 1917 'Property US Army' Khaki Set - Serial No: J 308 Razor

All things considered, a remarkably good shave. Two passes, no weepers or nicks and no irritation. Sting from the Old Spice was minimal and the blade worked really well. Smooth and close.

OCtober Shave #25

Timeless 95 OC
Persona Red (24)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave
PDP 63 Soap
30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Old Spice Scent AS
Soap Commander Classic Spice Balm

OCtober totals were 25 Shaves, 24 of which were with my Timeless with the same Persona Red, the one stray OCtober shave was the Gillette New SC with an Astra. Three no-shave days, and three SB Shaves (2 with my OneBlade and 1 with my H4 Gillette Slim)

Oct 31
Razor: Jaws
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Boar
Soap: Williams

It was a fun month but I have a lot of razors to clean! Thanks to @Flintstone65 for keeping stats! Really enjoyed all the interesting pics and reports. Tomorrow I start a month with Techs and Tech clones.

My final shave for OCtober 2019.

An almost completely vintage shave. Just the balm was more modern. This Dove balm is great stuff, a pity they pulled it off the shelves.

SOTD - Thursday 31 October 2019

Tools:

- Vintage Shulton Old Spice Aftershave
- Dove Hydrate Balm
- Vintage South African Williams Shave Stick Soap
- Vintage 1950s Culmak Boar Brush
- Vintage English Wilkinson Sword Blade - 1st Shave
- Gillette 1917 'Property US Army' Khaki Set - Serial No: J 308 Razor

All things considered, a remarkably good shave. Two passes, no weepers or nicks and no irritation. Sting from the Old Spice was minimal and the blade worked really well. Smooth and close.

Very nice set up!

OCtober Shave 30

1906 Gillette Single Ring razor
Gillette Nacet blade (10)
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

This OCtober has been a lot of fun! I normally stick with one razor for at least a week, sometimes up to a month. This year I changed things up. By my rough count I used seven razors. I ended the month the way I began with the thin-cap single ring. I have to say I don't think I have a razor that shaves better! I couldn't top its shaves with the thick-cap OT nor with either of the NEWs that I used. The Fatip Piccolo comes awfully close. Like @Dog Whiskerer said this month has been a revelation in figuring out how to use these razors. Steep angle is king there. I was glad to finally try the Durham Duplex, though those blades will either have to be honed, or I'll have to order some of the new replacements before I try it again. Of course the Micromatic open comb made an appearance, just because :)

Thanks to Fred and everybody else who participated. I especially enjoyed the pictures. Sorry I didn't add any of my own.

Final OCtober SOTD
October 31, 2019

Razor: Gillette Old Type w/ CG bishop variant handle
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Soap: Declaration Grooming Weinstrasse
AS: Chatillon Lux Weinstrasse

IMG_3045.jpg

OCtober shave #31
PAA ASCENSION SS
Polsilver (2)
B&M Terror
RR 24 Barrel silvertip

I am a daily shaver, but I had never run a string of 31 straight OC shaves. I learned alot about my OC's by being "in" for OCtober. It's been a joy and I got to go out with my newest prize that I wouldn't have known about. Thanks to all who contributed a part of themselves on this thread. Special thanks to our Quarterback, Fred Flintstone!

START .90 OC & RR GC .84 OC/Gillette Platinum/Yaqi 28mm Barber Pole Tux/Stone Cottage Leather & Smoke shave cream
Thayers Medicated WH Astringent/Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods splash

2F0540B0-830F-40DB-9866-2A22B7972EB1.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow, you guys are finishing this month out STRONG!!! I can't thank you all enough for the kind words. I'm on the road at the moment, and my final shave will be a repeat-razor -- I never did get to all of my OC's, this trip just sort of broke my mojo.

Tonight's shave will be my 3-piece Gillette British RFB. This razor, along with my Gem Damaskeene OC, has truly lived up to it's glowing reputation. I find it both smooth and efficient, which for me is the sweet-spot I look for in a razor. The blade is a fairly new Feather, the soap for this shave will be Arko, and the brush is my Yaqi 24mm Moka handle. No pic this time....sorry guys.

I'll quite literally be "on the road" tomorrow, but I should have the stats pulled together by Sunday. I'll make sure to put a big enough announcement that y'all see and/or hear about them. Sorry they are coming a couple of days after-the-event.

Wow, you guys are finishing this month out STRONG!!! I can't thank you all enough for the kind words. I'm on the road at the moment, and my final shave will be a repeat-razor -- I never did get to all of my OC's, this trip just sort of broke my mojo.

Tonight's shave will be my 3-piece Gillette British RFB. This razor, along with my Gem Damaskeene OC, has truly lived up to it's glowing reputation. I find it both smooth and efficient, which for me is the sweet-spot I look for in a razor. The blade is a fairly new Feather, the soap for this shave will be Arko, and the brush is my Yaqi 24mm Moka handle. No pic this time....sorry guys.

I'll quite literally be "on the road" tomorrow, but I should have the stats pulled together by Sunday. I'll make sure to put a big enough announcement that y'all see and/or hear about them. Sorry they are coming a couple of days after-the-event.
Yu Da Man!!

No worries yabba dabba doo guy!

- Ken
[emoji1690]

This was a fun one! Sorry I couldn't get it together to take decent pics.

This has inspired me to explore my TTOs for November.

Top Bottom