What's new

OCtober 2017

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The Month in Review:

This month was a series of comparison pairings with Open Comb razors that was broken into two parts. In the first Phase five Gillette OCs were paired with five newer OCs. Surprisingly, the newer razors actually came out on top in three of the five pairings.

proxy.php

The first phase:

• RazoRock Old Type vs a 1918 made Gillette Old Style and the RR was significantly more comfortable and more efficient.
  • Merkur 1904 vs Gillette No Date Code No Serial number Old Style and they were really close but the Gillette just slightly better.
  • Merkur 25C vs Gillette New LC; this pair were so close it was just the Gillette still showing original gold plating that made it the winner.
  • Fatip Grande vs Gillette New SC and the Fatip Grande was significantly more comfortable with the same shave result.
  • Finally an ATT S2 vs a Gillette Sheraton where surprisingly the S2 was more efficient than the Sheraton.

The second phase:

In the second phase the best from the first phase were pitted against five different OC razors as well as different blade formats and three additional OC razors added at the end.

proxy.php

• The RazoRock Old Type against a different 1918 made Gillette Old Style and again, the RR rocked.
  • The No date code Gillette Old Type vs a GEM MMOC; close but the Gillette was more comfortable.
  • The Gillette LC vs a Durham Duplex and surprisingly the Durham Duplex was much more comfortable and as efficient.
  • The Fatip Grande vs a Valet AutoStrop VC1 with a despined GEM blade; close again but the Fatip slightly better.
  • This is actually a trilogy with an ATT S2 vs ATTSE2 with a Feather AC blade & a R2 with the same blade that was in the S2; of the three the S2 was by far the most comfortable.
  • The final two were a Fatip Piccolo and one of my Rolls Razors and again those were pretty close.
So that was OCtober 2017.

Hi,

My Takeaway is that the Fasan still outshaves the other six. But, of course, y'all knew I was gonna say that! ;)

I had used the OT and the NEWs all along for many years, and have been using the New Improved, Schick C1 and 34 Aristocrat on and off since January. So, none of them were new to me. But, this month was the first time I had been using them all against one another.

I can get a good shave (DFS) out of any one of them, but all except the OT and the Fasan require touching up of areas even after two passes. The OT leaves me irritated, although some Lubriderm lotion does fix that. The Fasan doesn't irritate and is therefore still It for me.

Still, I ought to try an ATT S2, at least. So, there is the beginnings of a 14-day set..... :p

And, there were enough 'I wanna try one of those' razors this month to finish off a 14-day set with ease!

Stan

The Month in Review:

This month was a series of comparison pairings with Open Comb razors that was broken into two parts. In the first Phase five Gillette OCs were paired with five newer OCs. Surprisingly, the newer razors actually came out on top in three of the five pairings.

proxy.php

The first phase:

• RazoRock Old Type vs a 1918 made Gillette Old Style and the RR was significantly more comfortable and more efficient.
  • Merkur 1904 vs Gillette No Date Code No Serial number Old Style and they were really close but the Gillette just slightly better.
  • Merkur 25C vs Gillette New LC; this pair were so close it was just the Gillette still showing original gold plating that made it the winner.
  • Fatip Grande vs Gillette New SC and the Fatip Grande was significantly more comfortable with the same shave result.
  • Finally an ATT S2 vs a Gillette Sheraton where surprisingly the S2 was more efficient than the Sheraton.

The second phase:

In the second phase the best from the first phase were pitted against five different OC razors as well as different blade formats and three additional OC razors added at the end.

proxy.php

• The RazoRock Old Type against a different 1918 made Gillette Old Style and again, the RR rocked.
  • The No date code Gillette Old Type vs a GEM MMOC; close but the Gillette was more comfortable.
  • The Gillette LC vs a Durham Duplex and surprisingly the Durham Duplex was much more comfortable and as efficient.
  • The Fatip Grande vs a Valet AutoStrop VC1 with a despined GEM blade; close again but the Fatip slightly better.
  • This is actually a trilogy with an ATT S2 vs ATTSE2 with a Feather AC blade & a R2 with the same blade that was in the S2; of the three the S2 was by far the most comfortable.
  • The final two were a Fatip Piccolo and one of my Rolls Razors and again those were pretty close.
So that was OCtober 2017.
Nice recap and coĺlection!

Last shave of OCtober...

Gillette NEW short comb w/ Personna Lab Blue (8)
Maca Root/Arko/Williams super lather
Vie Long brush
Benjamins Mentholated Bay Rum all-purpose splash

I had loaded up my Merkur 1904/06 41C with a Wizamet Polsilver Stainless blade for my last shave of Open Comb October, but because it was already on the sink, ended up using the NEW for a great shave.

Takeaways: Best shaves were from the Gillette Sheraton, Merkur 41C and the Single Ring clone. Shaves with the NEW short comb have improved immensely and I hope I don't wait until next OCtober to use it. I need more practice with the Gillette Old Type razors. Feel bad that I didn't get to use my Gillette NEW long comb or Gem MMOC. Lastly, prep and lather are crucial. If I had a bad shave from a razor, it was usually followed by a better shave when I returned to a soap/cream combo that provided stellar lather.

Thanks to all those who kept this thread rocking!

Oct. 31st

Gillette New SC
Rapira PL
Stirling boar
TFS Tabacco verde
Alum block
Alt Innsbruck

20171031_074412.jpg

What a great shave to finish up OCtober. It has been fun gentlemen!

IMG_6289.JPG
I walked into a country junk store and found a nice little ABC razor for my 25th shave this OCtober. It cleaned up nicely.
Two pass, ABC, Feather, Arko and witch hazel for DFS.

Finished OCtober. It has been a great month of shaves with my open comb razors and Tabac products for Tabactober.
Oct. 1st - 6th Gillette New SC
Oct. 7th - 12th Gillette Old
Oct. 13th - 18th Gillette Sheridan
Oct. 19th - 25th Gillette Tuckaway
Oct. 26 to 31st Gillette Goodwill
OCtober 2017.jpg

Oct 31
It’s been a great month - thanks to all OC users for showing their stable!
proxy.php

ATT S2 Slant - UFO Titan Fine
Polsilver Stainless (22)
Fine L’Orange Noir
Terre D’Hermes

OCtober 31!!:

• Ever-Ready 1914 Mahoganite Set
  • GEM PTFE SS (lots)
  • Omega 10049 Boar
  • Van der Hagen Luxury soap
  • Stetson Cooling Moisture aftershave
IMG_20171030_225806.jpg

Finally!
I think this is the first time I've used this particular 1914. My daughter found this for me, and another 1914 at the same time, and I know I've used that one a couple or three times already. This one is just too pretty to use a whole lot, but I figured the end of OCtober was a special occassion. This is also my first time using Stetson Cooling Moisture aftershave. Wow! No burn at all, and while it smells alright in the bottle (SWMBO approved so I bought it last night), it smells 10 times better about an hour after splashing it on. Definite keeper!!

As much as I've enjoyed OCtober, I'm glad to see it come to an end. I've been missing some of my other razors ('46/'47 'crat) and am looking forward to trying some new-to-me vintage acquisitions. I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's beautiful OC collections. They're truly works of art!! I learned a little, and feel like I've improved my technique - I got my first no weeper shaves from my Old Type. I also acquired my first SC and learned that it is serious competition for my Aristocrat. I'm glad OCtober included the GEM mini lather catchers, as I grew to really enjoy them during SEptember. It boggles me to think of how powerful the Gillette marketing machine must have been to finally kick these types of razor to the curb, as they shave just as good as, if not better than some of my Gillettes. Not all! Just some. And my blade life on the GEM PTFE coated blades is crazy!

What's next?? I know Fatboy February will be here before we know it...

OCtober 30, 2017
Fatip Piccolo, Shave (7) :001_wub:
View attachment 833819
Last day of OCtober. It's really been a pleasure and a lot of fun. Thanks for all the photos and reports guys. For me this has been the best OCtober ever! I'm also glad I tried Silver Star blades this week. I think they are a hidden gem of a blade. Next week I'll continue the OC thing on my own with my Fatip Grande. She's been lonely through all of this.
Used mine last night, great shave as usual. Enjoyed seeing your setups this OCtober

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Used mine last night, great shave as usual. Enjoyed seeing your setups this OCtober
Thank's Jerry. I also enjoyed your set ups as well. I dug the Frankenstein on the wood pile shot very much. I've actually gone out to our wood pile before for SOTD photos. I also liked seeing the one with the White Zombie movie in it. I know I have that laying around. I may break it out tonight.

Last edited:
Well, Im not going to shave today. So yesterday's posted RFB shave was it for me. Someone mentioned posting the "take aways" from this month's event. So i will do just that.

I had two 10-plus days trips in this month of OCtober. On one of them, I took a beater Old Type head on a modern stainless single ring style handle. I had never previously used an Old Type for more than one shave in a row. Was never a really huge fan of the Old when compared to the all of the wonderful NEW's. But by taking an Old out on the road, I was forced to use it for about a half dozen shaves in a row, maybe more. I am very thankful that I did it! What a wonderful razor. A smooth and efficient shave! I have a new appreciation for the Old Type. I am now searching for a nice (but affordable) Single Ring or Double Ring. So my take away is this new appreciation for the Old Type. And thats a good thing!

View attachment 833815
I like that handle, when I first used an OT I had bad results. The more I used them the better my shaves got. I highly recomend picking up a SR I have seen some reasonaby priced ones on the bay, saw a beautiful DR on there now. Way out of my price range though. Thanks for sharing your setups and reflections this OCtober.

OCtober 31!!:

• Ever-Ready 1914 Mahoganite Set
  • GEM PTFE SS (lots)
  • Omega 10049 Boar
  • Van der Hagen Luxury soap
  • Stetson Cooling Moisture aftershave
View attachment 833851
Finally!
I think this is the first time I've used this particular 1914. My daughter found this for me, and another 1914 at the same time, and I know I've used that one a couple or three times already. This one is just too pretty to use a whole lot, but I figured the end of OCtober was a special occassion. This is also my first time using Stetson Cooling Moisture aftershave. Wow! No burn at all, and while it smells alright in the bottle (SWMBO approved so I bought it last night), it smells 10 times better about an hour after splashing it on. Definite keeper!!

As much as I've enjoyed OCtober, I'm glad to see it come to an end. I've been missing some of my other razors ('46/'47 'crat) and am looking forward to trying some new-to-me vintage acquisitions. I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's beautiful OC collections. They're truly works of art!! I learned a little, and feel like I've improved my technique - I got my first no weeper shaves from my Old Type. I also acquired my first SC and learned that it is serious competition for my Aristocrat. I'm glad OCtober included the GEM mini lather catchers, as I grew to really enjoy them during SEptember. It boggles me to think of how powerful the Gillette marketing machine must have been to finally kick these types of razor to the curb, as they shave just as good as, if not better than some of my Gillettes. Not all! Just some. And my blade life on the GEM PTFE coated blades is crazy!

What's next?? I know Fatboy February will be here before we know it...

That is a beautiful Gem. I dont shave with mine often, but when I do I use a PTFE SS. They are really smooth. Looking forward to FatboyFebruary too.

Top Bottom