What's new

Occam’s Razor SS DE version from Classic Shaving...

I received mine yesterday and shaved with the scalloped bar this morning. I've never shaved with a EJ DE89, but from what a lot of folks are saying, this is very similar. I must say, I was impressed. A nice, easy two pass shave that was plenty efficient yet mild. I personally like it a lot more than I liked the Game Changer .68. For some reason, I just couldn't get that razor to work for me. This razor with a much smaller blade gap and exposure really worked for some reason.
I did purchase all the plates and both heads as it was cheaper to do that with the 20% discount than it was just to get the smooth head and three plates with the 30% discount, as I then would have had to pay for shipping. I shaved with the scalloped bar and smooth head, although that is not what I have set up in the picture. The blade alignment was perfect and fit was great. When I tried to put the other head on, it had some resistance with both the handle that came with the razor and also the Razorock handle I tried. I didn't force it on, but there was quite a bit of resistance. Also, I'm not sure that the blade fits flush with this head. I'll have to test it out but may be a bit of defect there.
I did take a couple comparison pictures of the scalloped bar and the next open comb plate side by side with a blade in them. The pictures show the differences between how the blades are held in the razor. I also think there is more of a positive blade exposure with the mid-aggression open comb than with the scalloped base. In the very last picture you can kind of see that the blade looks to be slanting down, and that is with a fully secured handle. Tough to tell from the pictures, though.
One shave in, but I at least like the scalloped bar plate with the smooth head.
IMG_20191203_065036.jpg
IMG_20191203_065039.jpg
IMG_20191203_065046.jpg

I know it's defective...as the ridged cap has probably 3 times the gap on one side as the other. I sent an email last night but realized I didn't add a subject line (worried spam blocker caught it) so resent it this afternoon. I'll let you know what the response is from the seller but at this point I haven't heard anything.
Did you receive a reply from them? My cap with the ridge has the same problem and I emailed them tonight.

Did you receive a reply from them? My cap with the ridge has the same problem and I emailed them tonight.

I have not. I have sent the 2 emails but gotten no response. I know it's a busy week for retailers but starting to get a bit frustrated as, the whole set is completely useless and there has been no communication.

I have not. I have sent the 2 emails but gotten no response. I know it's a busy week for retailers but starting to get a bit frustrated as, the whole set is completely useless and there has been no communication.

Actually they had responded last night but it got sent to my promotions folder and I didn't see it., So I guess my frustration is not warranted. They are offering to send new caps.

Actually they had responded last night but it got sent to my promotions folder and I didn't see it., So I guess my frustration is not warranted. They are offering to send new caps.
That is good news. I really liked the shave with the scalloped bar and smooth head today again. For the price I really shouldn't complain since I have one usable razor but bought both heads so I could have two razors.

I chatted with them online this morning and showed them pictures and they are also sending a new cap to replace mine. Seems like they have very good customer service.

I chatted with them online this morning and showed them pictures and they are also sending a new cap to replace mine. Seems like they have very good customer service.

That's good to hear. They've caught some flak in the past, whether deservedly or not. Good customer service is always a step in the right direction....

a stellar shave with the scalloped bar base and smooth top this morning. Leaving on vacation next week, but won't take this with me for fear of losing it.

Last shave was on Sunday with an old Vokshhod, going to try the 3 plate with big holes. What's everyone think, stick with the same blade? A new one? Or a new Astra coated ? Astra stainless? Also have feather and nacets.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Haven't really looked at the solid bar plate yet. But if it is really the same design as the DE89, that is a great thing. I have been hoping for a stainless DE89 for years. I have the 3one6, which is an awesome razor, and a similar shave, but the look of the head is nothing like a DE89. Unfortunately I'm on the road until the holidays, so itll be a while.

Haven't really looked at the solid bar plate yet. But if it is really the same design as the DE89, that is a great thing. I have been hoping for a stainless DE89 for years. I have the 3one6, which is an awesome razor, and a similar shave, but the look of the head is nothing like a DE89. Unfortunately I'm on the road until the holidays, so itll be a while.
The solid bar has quickly become my favorite razor. I'm going to try the middle plate today, but I could use the solid bar exclusively and be just fine.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The solid bar has quickly become my favorite razor. I'm going to try the middle plate today, but I could use the solid bar exclusively and be just fine.
In my mind, it is debatable which plate is the mid-plate. I got a much better shave from the plate with the bigger holes, which I assumed was the highest plate. The one with the smaller holes, which I assumed was the mid plate, was quite rough on my face and neck.

I put these 2 razors up against each other, the START .90 OC & Occam's Hybrid OC. Both fairly new in the DE world but, they are each phenomenal razors that offer excellent value and performance. The START is just a bit smoother feeling on the face with less blade feel yet efficient. While the Occam's has a bit more blade feel and just a notch below the Start in terms of smoothness. Still both are great on the skin and are winners out of the gate. On price I give the edge to the Occam's for @$65, find me a better value made of the same SS 316 alloy and virtually 5 razor set ups to tailor it to ones needs? Doesn't exist (perhaps the Rockwell 6s). The START is a bit more but, is also a step up in quality and finish. And I really enjoy what this razor kit delivers in terms of performance.

No losers really.....

zd7a5zP.jpg

Last edited:
Well,my third shave with the 3rd plate with the largest holes was great. Same old blade , tabac soap again. Really clean easy shave, this is a very good set up.

I tried the mid aggression yesterday and the most aggressive today. I didn't find the mid one that rough at all, actually quite smooth. It did provide a very minor bit of efficiency over the scalloped comb. The most aggressive.... WOW is that a great shaver. It did feel smoother than the mid plate and gave a great shave!! This razor is fantastic for what you get and the price!!

I've only used two base plates so far, the scalloped bar and this one:
eclipse like.jpg
Is the one marked "partial open comb" the more aggressive or the full open comb?

I've only used two base plates so far, the scalloped bar and this one:
View attachment 1041239
Is the one marked "partial open comb" the more aggressive or the full open comb?
Seems to be in debate lol, I've used the scalloped and full open, both seem mild so far but very good. I would say the scalloped is slightly more aggressive. Only a few shaves total so far between them both though.

I'm in the same camp, I found the scalloped bar a tiny bit more aggressive, but neither scary level. I won't be trying the partial open until a couple more weeks as I'll be traveling.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Took the scallop solid bar setup on the road with me this week. Gave it a shot this morning. Awesome results. Great shave. Super smooth. No blood or irritation. Not super efficient, but comparable to the De89. Maybe a little more so. Not as aggressive as the 3one6. Very impressed with this one. After waiting for years for a stainless DE89, we now have one! I am super happy i bought this set. May get another solid bar head to throw in my travel kit permanently. Or just put this one in there with the ridged cap. Gotta test it that way. Have not used that cap yet.

Top Bottom