What's new

Occam’s Razor SS DE version from Classic Shaving...

Here is the link:

To get an additional 20% off the sale price sign up by giving them your email in that chat box lower right of screen and you will be sent a 20% off discount code to apply in the checkout process.

That discount on top of the already low sales price makes for a great deal!
Thank you!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Mine arrived today. Fit and finish is 1st Class - no issues I can detect.

My wife of 33 years tells me that I am impossible to shop for (Christmas, Birthday, etc.), so we decided that this will be one of my Christmas gifts.

Benefit: Takes some Christmas shopping stress off of my wife (very important).
Downside: I won't be able to shave with it until Christmas (a minor inconvenience).

Sooooo......I'll post my review on Christmas, or shortly thereafter. :)

Mine was in the mail box when I got home today, a day earlier than expected. I don’t have any issues with the finish on mine, but prefer the machine finishes anyway. Fit is excellent. The weight is nice and seems well balanced. The texture of the handle seems like it will provide a great grip. The one thing I don’t like is that the blade tabs stick out past the head and base plate slightly. Not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.
I have I loaded with the base plate with the biggest holes and a new Gillette Platinum for the morning. I’ll see how it handles 3 days growth with this plate, then switch to the mid plate for Friday.

Had my first shave with the Occam DE today. It was quite epic. First of all, as I cracked open my The Holy Black Ramone's Gin Fizz, I had Alexa turn on Pandora, and Yes's "Awaken" was the first song to come on. That was a really good start! I used the plate with the biggest holes, which seems to be the most aggressive one. I threw in a new Polsilver and gave it a go. The first WTG pass was so incredibly smooth and efficient. The first pass was so effective that I could have stopped shaving right then, and has a socially acceptable shave. The second XTG pass was a bit rougher, but certainly not excessively so. It left me one weeper... not a big deal. But after that second pass, I had a full blown DFS and could have stopped. But you know how that goes. I went for the ATG 3rd pass, and surprisingly it was quite smooth. Smoother than the 2nd pass. No additional weepers. No issues. No touchups. I had a near-BBS, having discovered a little slightly scratchy patch at the trouble spot under my chin, only after the cold water rinse. Otherwise my face was baby smooth. There was a bit of burn when i hit my face with the splash. But that is not terribly abnormal for me anyway. I am quite pleased with the results. Excellent razor. Perfect alignment of the blade. Smooth and efficient. Great fitment between cap, base and handle. Only complaint is that the finish is kind of meh. Dull and splotchy. There also a couple of little blems on the top cap. But its really okay for this crazy cheap price point. And that there are no specs on this razor. Its a guessing game which plate is what efficiency/aggressiveness, etc. I dont even know the order of the aggressiveness of the three plates. But all in all, this was a great shave, and so far this is a really great razor! I will use what I assume is the middle plate next. Enjoy the shaves!

Really good write up. Nearly mirrors my experience with the more aggressive plate. Still though a pretty nice and smooth performer. I agree about not having some sort of numbering or lettering to distinguish between mild to the more efficient plates. Maybe they’ll make that correction with more feedback from consumers...:thumbup:

Mine was in the mail box when I got home today, a day earlier than expected. I don’t have any issues with the finish on mine, but prefer the machine finishes anyway. Fit is excellent. The weight is nice and seems well balanced. The texture of the handle seems like it will provide a great grip. The one thing I don’t like is that the blade tabs stick out past the head and base plate slightly. Not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.
I have I loaded with the base plate with the biggest holes and a new Gillette Platinum for the morning. I’ll see how it handles 3 days growth with this plate, then switch to the mid plate for Friday.

Congrats and looking forward to your thoughts on it. :thumbup1:

I had the first shave with mine today, and all I can say is “WOW”! I chose to use what I’ll call base plate 3- the most aggressive looking with the largest openings. For a blade, a Gillette Platinum, and Murphy and McNeil Nantahala soap, all going up against a three day beard.

My shaving method consists of a hot shower, 2 passes, one WTG and one ATG. For me, that equates to one N-S, and one S-N pass and a little clean up on my neck. Occam’s plowed right through the first pass, and had I been extremely pressed for time, I really wouldn’t have had a problem stopping right there and leaving the house. Second pass was just as smooth as the first, leaving me with an extremely DFS, almost BBS in 2 passes. Zero cuts, nicks, irritation or weepers. Nantahala after shave (alcohol base, no menthol) caused a minimal good burn.

My current lineup consists of a Game Changer .84 (used 90% of the time) along with Blackland’s Dart (5%) and Blackbird (5%). Occam’s with this plate was just as efficient any of these, but for the first shave anyway, I feel Occam’s to be the the most comfortable. The weight and balance of the razor was spot on for me, as is the shaving angle, which I found easily and naturally. I stated in a previous post about the tabs of the blade extending past the head and base plate, but in reality this is a non issue, just a personal preference and something I had grown used to with the razors I’ve been using. While the handle offers sufficient grip and I never had any concern of the razor possibly slipping, I feel that the knurling of the HD handle on my Game Changer to be deeper, and provides a better grip. Again, this may be because of the considerable use the Game Changer sees. The top cap has a slim profile, which I prefer. This is a big enough deal for me, that both Timeless and Rockwell razors have fallen along the way side because of the thickness of the top cap/base plate. This Occam’s provided very little for me in the way of audio feedback.

All in all, from only one use I am extremely impressed with this razor, especially at this price point. I do see splitting use with the RazoRock in it’s future. My plan for tomorrow was to try the mid base plate, but I may give this one another try, just to see how back to back shaves go.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Okay. Assumptions are all shot to heck now. I used the hybrid plate with the smaller holes this morning. Same blade. I thought this plate was going to be the middle plate. However got a lot of blade feel, and a much rougher shave out of this one. Got a few weepers and some nice irritation on my neck too! Used some PAA Samhain Splash, which is pumpkin spice flavored for the holiday, and got a nice burn as well. Not sure if I was just having an off day, or if this “middle plate” ain’t the middle plate. I basically had the opposite experience from the plate with the bigger holes, which was a really nice shave the other day.

Did my first shave with the scalloped comb. I am very happy. Did 3 passes with no irritation and no weepers. Keep having.trouble with my Karve so had to try this one, last shave was Wednesday with a c plate, a little irritation and one weeper. I'll use this the next.few.shaves to get a better feel.

Did my first shave with the scalloped comb. I am very happy. Did 3 passes with no irritation and no weepers. Keep having.trouble with my Karve so had to try this one, last shave was Wednesday with a c plate, a little irritation and one weeper. I'll use this the next.few.shaves to get a better feel.
Is your Karve is SB or OC?
I'm very happy with my brass SB-B

Mine is a c, also have d f and g. Oc f as well. Had a b oc but someone here traded me for an e. Never got the e , they got the b oh well. I've had great shaves with all even the g as well. But lately it seems hit or miss. My Rockwell on 4 and an Er 1912 are my favorite. Have about four razors I have but haven't used yet. An Er 1914, Fatboy, another old type, and the other two plates on this and a Tech. Plus a couple straights lol.

Which are you calling the scalloped comb?
The solid bar no teeth.first on the left IMG_20191130_185534171.jpg

Okay. Assumptions are all shot to heck now. I used the hybrid plate with the smaller holes this morning. Same blade. I thought this plate was going to be the middle plate. However got a lot of blade feel, and a much rougher shave out of this one. Got a few weepers and some nice irritation on my neck too! Used some PAA Samhain Splash, which is pumpkin spice flavored for the holiday, and got a nice burn as well. Not sure if I was just having an off day, or if this “middle plate” ain’t the middle plate. I basically had the opposite experience from the plate with the bigger holes, which was a really nice shave the other day.

I had the same experience as you did. Same Gillette Platinum with the smaller holes seemed to me it has more blade feel than the plate with the larger holes. I thought this plate may end up being my go to, but after 1 shave with each, I’m preferring the plate with the largest holes. Still a nice, close DFS, with my 2 pass standard, but more similar feel to my Blacklands. No nicks, cuts or weepers. I did use a different soap today- A&E St Barts, followed by Chiseled Face Trade Winds. I was going for a tropical theme to try and warm me up on a cold, wet, dreary Wisconsin day. Lol!
Just a follow up on the first plate I used- the one with the largest holes. While it did give me a fine close shave, my Game Changer and Blacklands shaves seem to be longer lasting. I seemed to have more stubble sooner using the Occam’s
I may start over tomorrow, keeping everything the same for a week on each plate.

I picked up the full-meal-deal set with three plates and two caps for the discounted $52 price, and it arrived this week. I concur with others here that this is an impressive set, especially for the price. It’s obviously sintered (or perhaps MIM?) build, which of course makes sense at this price point. As a result, it isn’t super refined in terms of finish, but the fit and tolerances are excellent. Blade alignment is dead on. The handle appears to be virtually identical to the RazoRock barber pole, which is a good thing IMO. The scalloped SB plate similarly appears to be a near exact copy of an existing product, namely the EJ/Muhle 89 head, also not a bad thing.

I find the other two plate designs to be really interesting. I’m not sure what to call them, as they aren’t OC, but reminiscent of the “comb” design of the Gem 1912 and Ever Ready 1914, which is a good design to imitate. I can’t think of another design of this type in a DE.

Since by just adding a spare handle I could have two complete razors, I decided my first test run would be a side-by-side, using the two “comb” plates. to my face it felt like the comb plate with the larger openings is the more “aggressive” of the two plates, but not by much. For me it had a bit more blade feel and seemed just a shade more efficient. But the difference between these plates is pretty small, IMO. The good news is that I got a terrific shave from both. These plates both hit my sweet spot: very high on both the comfort and efficiency indices. FWIW, I don't see that the ridged cap brings much to the game, but on the other hand it's only another five bucks or so.

It's a crowded field right now for new razors, but I think the Occam's represents a somewhat unique product with these two interesting plates. Plus, the value proposition is off the charts. Well done, Occam's.

I’m really enjoying using this razor. 3 passes and it just gets better with every use. Probably about my 3rd shave with the Occam’s more aggressive plate (biggest holes) and it delivers consistently good results. I get 10+ hours of duration before any semblance of stubble appears which is fine on my end for a full days work or activities. I agree with @Spang in terms of cost versus performance. This razor punches way above it’s weight. Great offering for the money by CS.....

1D3DED30-C363-499F-BA5D-4C89C1D029AF.jpeg

Second shave with mine on plate 1 from above pic. 3 pass with tabac and vokshhod with close to ten shaves on it. Great shave, shaved Friday and today is Sunday. Over buffed on my trouble spot and got.the faintest of weeper, did that to see how far I could push. Burn with alum but not severe. The difference with my c plate Karve almost makes me think to try an a plate or maybe it was the Mike's natural soap affecting me. Going to wait two days between and try the next plate with this. Very happy. Heads have the mim mold marks ever so slightly if you look. I don't care how it was made though. Just saw a comment on how it was made earlier.

I received mine but haven't shaved with it. The finish is great on mine but both caps are warped and have more Gap at the edges than the middle. I havent contacted the seller or taken pics yet but will let you know of their response

Here are pics of each cap. As of now I view it as unusable.

Attachments

• 20191201_184025.jpg
    20191201_184025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20191201_183732.jpg
    20191201_183732.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 62
I've found the open comb similar in design to the Eclipse. I've had two shaves with the standard "open comb" and one with the scalloped bar. So far, the eclipse style open comb is my favorite. @hsbbs04 your razor is definitely defective.
il_1588xN.2075830685_t1wc.jpg

I shaved this morning with the scalloped, solid bar plate, aka the DE89 clone. It was about what I expected, which is to say a very smooth and comfortable shave. The shave from this plate is definitely not as close as what I got from the two hybrid comb plates, but still perfectly acceptable, and with zero irritation. It has been some time since I owned or shaved with a DE89, but based on my somewhat dim recollection, I'd say this plate is pretty darn close in performance to the original. Interestingly, I do not observe much difference in comfort between this plate and the two hybrid comb plates. Given that, I think it's likely I'll be mostly using the hybrid plates, as they definitely shave a little closer with little if any trade off in comfort.

I'll say it again: a very nice set for an amazing price.

I've found the open comb similar in design to the Eclipse. I've had two shaves with the standard "open comb" and one with the scalloped bar. So far, the eclipse style open comb is my favorite. @hsbbs04 your razor is definitely defective.
View attachment 1040067

I know it's defective...as the ridged cap has probably 3 times the gap on one side as the other. I sent an email last night but realized I didn't add a subject line (worried spam blocker caught it) so resent it this afternoon. I'll let you know what the response is from the seller but at this point I haven't heard anything.

Top Bottom