What's new

Occam’s Razor SS DE version from Classic Shaving...

I received the replacement top caps today. Used the smooth one with the scalloped bar. Shaved very similar to the 89, which is a good thing. I prefer a little more efficiency but got a really good shave. Will try the other plates next. Now that I have good caps, I agree it's a great deal.

Attachments

• 20191207_151549.jpg
    20191207_151549.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
I received the replacement top caps today. Used the smooth one with the scalloped bar. Shaved very similar to the 89, which is a good thing. I prefer a little more efficiency but got a really good shave. Will try the other plates next. Now that I have good caps, I agree it's a great deal.

Good to see that CS took care of your top cap issues promptly.

Happy shaves to you.... :thumbup1:

A quick update on the Occam’s DE and my experience with it. I hadn’t shaved in practically 4 days as work has had me on the clock for nearly 16 hour days. Finally got a breather in today and needed to get a good shave in and get some face smoothness for myself and the Misses. Brought in the Occam’s with the hybrid OC plate (most efficient/aggressive plate), got a good lather from the GD soap and just went to town. What a marvelously efficient yet smooth cutting razor. 3 full passes, a chin buff and 4 days growth no more. I honestly did not expect this razor to perform so well. It combines efficiency and smoothness with relatively good blade feel but, keeps the bite like feel to a minimum on it. Don’t get me wrong, if you’re a bit careless or use a bit to much pressure it will leave it’s mark and remind you that it’s meant to cut. The results have been from good to excellent with every plate used in the kit. No regrets on acquiring this razor at all. Especially for the price that it’s available for. Price/performance ratio is through the roof. Puts to shame a few other razors that are higher up on the food chain expense wise. Just a really good razor, period.

C3363039-A99E-4CEA-A56B-D0DA52E36455.jpeg

A quick update on the Occam’s DE and my experience with it. I hadn’t shaved in practically 4 days as work has had me on the clock for nearly 16 hour days. Finally got a breather in today and needed to get a good shave in and get some face smoothness for myself and the Misses. Brought in the Occam’s with the hybrid OC plate (most efficient/aggressive plate), got a good lather from the GD soap and just went to town. What a marvelously efficient yet smooth cutting razor. 3 full passes, a chin buff and 4 days growth no more. I honestly did not expect this razor to perform so well. It combines efficiency and smoothness with relatively good blade feel but, keeps the bite like feel to a minimum on it. Don’t get me wrong, if you’re a bit careless or use a bit to much pressure it will leave it’s mark and remind you that it’s meant to cut. The results have been from good to excellent with every plate used in the kit. No regrets on acquiring this razor at all. Especially for the price that it’s available for. Price/performance ratio is through the roof. Puts to shame a few other razors that are higher up on the food chain expense wise. Just a really good razor, period.

View attachment 1043569
What blade are you using? I have used a vokshhod with good results, switched back to a Karve sb c plate and had comparable results, then tried a nacet in the Karve and think I found my issue with the Karve, it's the blade. Going to try the nacet in the Occam's tomorrow.

What blade are you using? I have used a vokshhod with good results, switched back to a Karve sb c plate and had comparable results, then tried a nacet in the Karve and think I found my issue with the Karve, it's the blade. Going to try the nacet in the Occam's tomorrow.

I’ve used Gillette 7O’Clock SP’s, Shark Platinum & Polsilver SI. All with great results. As always ymmv with blades on any particular razor....

Put the Occam's DE away for a couple weeks and was sampling a couple other offerings from Occam's Razors and a couple of Timeless razors as well.

Last night I used the OC hybrid plate with a twice used Rapira SS blade and it was as smooth if not smoother than my initial first shaves with it. The PannaCrema soap certainly aided in giving the Occam's an excellent base of protection and glide with superb slickness. The razor literally floated over my skin while giving a smooth and efficient feeling cut during all 3 passes with no harshness or overly done blade feel. I certainly don't classify the razor as overly aggressive. Perhaps mid at best but, nothing above that. And from what I remember the closed comb plate reminded me of an EJ89 type of shave. Mild and comfortable. Perhaps I'll try that plate again on the next shave just to refresh my memory. With the Hybrid OC plate it's a very good performing razor with a solid combination of efficiency and smoothness...

D9A2D6DD-2AE2-4203-BAE6-43302318C208.jpeg

I bought mine as Christmas gift to myself. I have others, name brand stuff too, including a Rockwell 6S and Feather AS-D2, but I just keep using this new Occam's. I use the closed comb blade with a Gillette Nacet and I am good to go.

My Occam's came up in rotation this morning and I had similar excellent results. I used what I'll call, for lack of a better descriptor, plate #3, meaning the comb plate with larger openings. I agree that even this third plate does not give an aggressive feel at all; for me there is minimal blade feel and the shave is very smooth. Nonetheless, efficiency is quite high and the delivered shave is very close. It's dead center in my sweet spot: high comfort; high efficiency.

As far as sintered/MIM stainless DEs go, I think Occam's leads the pack. With its lighter weight and lower profile head I much prefer it to the Rockwell 6s.

Well, I hope it’s not too late to get myself a Christmas gift. I ordered the whole 9 yards, both heads and 3 plates. I was influenced by the idea that I could have an extra head to keep on my Razorock Super Knurl handle which I love. (Hate the head that came with it) Looking forward to checking out this razor!

Attachments

• 951ECDE2-B21C-4C5F-A0B7-A01A1500C2F8.jpeg
    951ECDE2-B21C-4C5F-A0B7-A01A1500C2F8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Well, I hope it’s not too late to get myself a Christmas gift. I ordered the whole 9 yards, both heads and 3 plates. I was influenced by the idea that I could have an extra head to keep on my Razorock Super Knurl handle which I love. (Hate the head that came with it) Looking forward to checking out this razor!
I'm just starting to explore frankenrazor options. Very happy with this product and price

Why is the ridgeline head better, or worse than the smooth? I assume that it makes it easier to find the shaving angle? Isn’t using blade feel a better way to get the angle correct??

Why is the ridgeline head better, or worse than the smooth? I assume that it makes it easier to find the shaving angle? Isn’t using blade feel a better way to get the angle correct??
Yes. I would say it's like riding a bike with training wheels

Got around to trying the plate with the smallest holes. The other two plates were a bit less efficient than I normally use but still good. This one was just about perfect for me. Decent blade feel and efficiency. Was hesitant when I heard others say it was harsh but I didn't find it harsh at all. For the price it's a steal. Wish it was labeled which plate was the most aggressive as from sight I would have thought the larger holed one was more aggressive. Not sure it will become a daily driver as my PAA DOC Copper is hard to beat, but good enough for a change of pace razor.

Used mine again today. What a wonderful shave. Wish I had taken pictures, but alas, I forgot to bring my phone to the latrine. Still can't tell the the difference between plates.

Top Bottom