What's new

Occam’s Razor SS DE version from Classic Shaving...

Just got this in today. Very nice presentation and packaging as is with all of the razors I’ve purchased from Classic Shaving. I ordered the complete razor set which includes two (2) top caps & three (3) base plates. The two open comb base plates are quite unique and are like nothing I’ve seen before. Truthfully though, there is a bar on all base plates so I don’t know how one would classify it as a true open comb just on merely how it’s designed. Perhaps once one shaves with it it will give an open comb like shave feel? Don’t know but, I plan I finding out in a few as I get geared up for tonight’s shave. Quality looks very good and the handle is superb to hold with excellent knurling and feel in the hands. There are no gap sizes or base plate #’s to let one know which of the plates are mild or more efficient (aggressive) feeling. Just has the Occam’s Razor inscribed on all three base plates. Perhaps I’ll go with the widest designed “hybrid open comb” base plate and go from there.

A few pics below.....

B94465DE-45C1-440B-9195-36EBA84971B8.jpeg

FBFA1404-C630-4AB1-BEE3-7BEA933228A2.jpeg

B7EF310A-C342-400B-AA57-0096DA97AA28.jpeg

944B360E-1557-48BD-B151-8A7139F5BB1E.jpeg

6A6583F2-319A-486C-952F-99D5F89B6D77.jpeg

73EBD78A-322A-403C-BBD1-1E7B20C93CC2.jpeg

EA14C43A-8C17-44FE-8F85-FFF0F5146AE4.jpeg

5CA14533-05FD-43F1-85EC-6B888C3A4F9B.jpeg

Hearkens back to the Eclipse Red Ring base plate design. I look forward to hearing the shave report.

This is a modern DE I would consider buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a real quick first take on the Occam’s maiden shave. First thing though is I’m not sure which of the plates offers the more efficient/aggressive shave of the group. I went with the more radical looking plate with a fresh Gillette Platinum and just went through a little over a day and a half of growth. A very efficient yet quite smooth 3 pass shave. If you look at the photo below you will see that there isn’t a whole lot of blade reveal and the gap is actually quite low but, it gives a very nice blade feeling shave that is a bit more than the START with the .90 and just a tad under the Charcoal Goods L2 and is somewhere in the middle of both in smoothness. Or, think of the RR Gamechanger .84 and the Timeless .95 and it lands somewhere in between those two. Honestly, for it’s first outing it was a very pleasing and surprisingly good shave as the razor exhibits excellent feel and balance. Need to go through the other two plates with a few more shaves on each to get a better picture but, so far on it’s first go, it’s a very competent shaver and for the money an unbelievably good deal.

23B2EFC9-36C3-4660-A98E-577A99399921.jpeg

Just a real quick first take on the Occam’s maiden shave. First thing though is I’m not sure which of the plates offers the more efficient/aggressive shave of the group. I went with the more radical looking plate with a fresh Gillette Platinum and just went through a little over a day and a half of growth. A very efficient yet quite smooth 3 pass shave. If you look at the photo below you will see that there isn’t a whole lot of blade reveal and the gap is actually quite low but, it gives a very nice blade feeling shave that is a bit more than the START with the .90 and just a tad under the Charcoal Goods L2 and is somewhere in the middle of both in smoothness. Or, think of the RR Gamechanger .84 and the Timeless .95 and it lands somewhere in between those two. Honestly, for it’s first outing it was a very pleasing and surprisingly good shave as the razor exhibits excellent feel and balance. Need to go through the other two plates with a few more shaves on each to get a better picture but, so far on it’s first go, it’s a very competent shaver and for the money an unbelievably good deal.

View attachment 1036346
Thanks for the review and picture
Is it the one you would call closed comb razor?

Thanks for the review and picture
Is it the one you would call closed comb razor?

Don’t know. Maybe an oversized hybrid closed comb? It still has a safety bar though it’s thin. Or just a huge lather slot with thin horizontal bars. I definitely wouldn’t call it an open comb.

Couldn’t get a shave in yesterday (double-shift at work) but, back on track today and wanted to try the other hybrid plate on the Occam’s DE. Used the same Gillette Platinum blade from the first shave and honestly it was a really good shave. A very comfortable, smooth and a nicely efficient feeling shave. A complete 3 pass affair without any issues in terms of irritation or nics. I did get a couple of small weepers on the chin from trying to buff a bit quicker than normal but, they were gone with a quick cold water rinse and my alum pass. This shave though was a bit smoother than the previous shave with the other hybrid OC plate. Still felt a bit of blade feel but, not as pronounced as the other. The face feel was sort of RR Gamechanger .68 like yet finish was more akin to the .84 sb variant. Not as smooth or mild as the GC .68 but, a nice trade-off with slightly more blade feel and about as smooth if not smoother than the GC .84 sb. Not bad to be honest and so far these two hybrid OC base plates have provided very good cutting performance with solid shave results to back them up. Next shave will be with the solid bar variant and I’ll post my thoughts on that plate soon....

D2D7BCCC-69A2-406F-894C-6D5A0C7A20CD.jpeg

7FCD3D1B-7168-4EBC-BDB5-B6E0184701B6.jpeg

View attachment 1036346

Great looking razor!! Thanks for the shaving reports!! :a14: :a14: :a14: :a14: :a14: :a14:

Top Bottom