What's new

OC suggestions

Does using a different top cap (i.e Yintal) eliminate blade alignment issue ? I had a Fatip, loved the way it shaved but hated the blade alignment. If that changes its alignment. I`ll give that combo a shot.

Never thought of that. My guess is yes. With the Yintal top cap I have no alignment issues. I think it's the 2 studs in the top cap that have been the Fatip problem.

Never thought of that. My guess is yes. With the Yintal top cap I have no alignment issues. I think it's the 2 studs in the top cap that have been the Fatip problem.

Yes the studs are the problem, much like the Gillette Old Type. Definitely worth trying then.

Not sure why Fatip isn`t coming with a solution for this issue in 2019. Slight change in top cap design would totally eliminate that.

I pif`ed it due to this issue. Have a Karve OC-C plate now.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Open Comb razor suggestions?

BestOldType.640.6-18.JPG

In my opinion the Gillette Old Type coupled with a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech is a marvelous razor. I think maybe the Old Type is the finest Gillette ever made (not that I've tried every Gillette).

R41 Fanboy. FOAM'R.41.png

I'm a big fan of the R41. It's not, strictly speaking, an open comb, according to me, but it sorta kinda is.

PBOCS.Slant.9-29-18.640..JPG

There are several good open comb slants.

RR.SLOC.640.7-18-18.JPG

The RR SLOC is a very nice razor. Inexpensive. Easy to use. Cool.

In other words, there is a huge selection of good open comb razors. Don't neglect the Fatip open combs either.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Gillette RFB #77 or #88 series. Arguably, the best open comb razor ever made that combines a buttery smoothness with excellent efficiency. I’m still trying to nab one (tough to get one in good condition) as I’ve only used them via loan. Love’em. A must have in everyone’s shave den,imho. Did I mention that I love’em??

Old Type Single as efficient as anything else out there. Not as smooth and easy to use as the RFB but, helluva good shaver. And dirt cheap. K. Gillette still gazes down from the heavens in approval of this masterpiece still in use today by the hundreds of thousands. I’m not joking either....

Karve, can’t go wrong with it. Smooth and efficient in any plate you desire. Canadiens aren’t just good at hockey and Molson. They can make great razors too, Ay. Enough said.

PAA EVO DOC SS is just the King of pure bad - assery. No longer made but, a viciously ferocious razor that makes whiskers recede before your shave even begins. Not an easy one but, once tamed and mastered, it’s pure Shaving Nirvana. This and the Asylum RX are MY FAVORITE aggressive razors on the planet....

PAA DOC Ascension series (Stainless, Aluminum & Copper) are excellent razors that all can be had for under $100. Smooth, efficient and the added benefit that they’re twist adjustable. Superb performers all of them and stupid easy to use.

Razorock GC OC’s in either .68 or .84 sizes. Not available yet but, will be within 2-3 weeks. Their SB brothers are excellent shavers that bring mild, smooth and efficient all rolled into one. The OC versions should be just as good if not better. Added plus is that they are made of a premium alloy, 316/L SS with a price point that NO ONE can touch. Doesn’t look like a Wolfman, Timeless, Charcoal Goods or a Raw Shaving razor but, the quality and tolerance is superb with the finish being just a notch or two below those mentioned. It’s the hands down champion of price per performance/quality modern razor in the business. At least for now.....

Uber Luxury status razors? Wolfman, Charcoal Goods, Timeless, Raw, Blackland, Tatara and a few others that escape me for the moment. But, none of these are cheap. These are all in the $200+ price range and are also all wonderful performers. Do you need one? NO but, they sure look pretty in your shave den and in SOTD pics. Plus, it puts you in instant celebrity big spender status and considered part of the elite ownership of elite razors. Think Free Masons but for shavers....

Others that deserve consideration are: Muhle R41, Pearl, Fatip and a slew of others. Just “Google It” as it’s good for you....

Top Bottom