What's new

Another Testament: Decant your Pinaud Clubman into glass!

This has been said before — I am merely reiterating it for anyone who hasn’t already: decant your Pinaud aftershaves into glass.

I recently got a few Pinaud aftershaves, and on almost all of them, I immediately noticed an off, skunky, burnt-rubbery sort of smell off the top notes.

I’ve since confirmed that it is 100% the plastic bottle. It’s nearing 100 degrees F in Southern California, and it’s even hotter in warehouses/delivery trucks. The heat brought out the off-smells in my plastic bottles (I even heated the bottle under hot water, and was met with the same strong chemical skunk smell).

After decanting into glass, the funk has slowly dissipated. Now I only get the pleasant citrusy, powdery barbershop smell that everyone loves. I have a buddy in the custom sticker business that also made me something to stick on the glass, and I think it looks super clean.

So if you haven’t already: decant, decant, decant!

99B1B734-3AE4-47EF-8E6F-510182339ED8.jpeg

All of the aftershaves I have purchased in recent memory have come in glass bottles, but I never really gave it much thought or appreciation until reading your post. Now I realize I would be very put off by a product like this if it arrived packaged in cheap smelly plastic

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I decanted my Clubman into glass and it was much improved but I will not buy Pinaud aftershave again. I will not purchase a product that cannot be properly stored in the container in which it is sold. There is no excuse, Proraso and Floid are similarly priced, in the UK anyway, and both are sold in quality glass bottles. To me they are also a far superior aftershave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm going to give this a shot this weekend. Going to decant a few into glass. Thankfully I have a number of glass bottles with appropriate pourer caps. Thanks for the tip!

I decanted my Clubman into glass and it was much improved but I will not buy Pinaud aftershave again. I will not purchase a product that cannot be properly stored in the container in which it is sold. There is no excuse, Proraso and Floid are similarly priced, in the UK anyway, and both are sold in quality glass bottles. To me they are also a far superior aftershave.
Unfortunately, I cannot blame you. In the states Pinaud is very affordable, which makes it worth looking past the horrendous bottles.

I think the only reason they can get away with it is because:
1. The off-smells dissipate rather quickly on the face. Once splashed on, any skunkiness fades away within 5-10 seconds.
2. A big part of their consumer base is still barber shops, which go through the stuff so quickly that it doesn’t have a chance to develop a funk.

But for individual users like us, who wants to start their morning/evening with a face full of plasticky skunk? Albeit brief, it sucks. Such a shame given how classic their scents are.

I get the criticism of Clubman but if you decant into glass it's problem solved. I agree thoroughly that customers shouldn't have to do that, and it does suck that Pinaud makes us do it, but in the end the bypass mechanism works. I will say that Lilac Vegetal mellows nicely in glass, almost as well as original Clubman does, but the original definitely shines the brightest after decanting.

I transfered my Pinaud to a glass container to get rid of the skunky scent. The skunky scent is off-putting when smelling the aftershave out of the bottle.

Top Bottom