What's new

Observation about boar brushes -- am I crazy?

@NorthernSoul
a difference that I notice between the Omega bristles and the Semogue ones and that the untreated Omega ones are very resistant...while the Semogue ones are very thin and tend to break if not soaked well beforehand
I don't know if I explained myself well "sorry for my English"

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Ash wood 11137 is a beautiful brush, feels good in the hand

1701790008097.png

pic from @shm

Hello everyone. I need your help. I have a wonderful Omega 10005 brush. I bought it quite recently and I really like it. But on the Russian forum, one participant wrote to me that this brush was made very poorly. Because it does not have a metal sleeve into which a node is inserted, as on Semogue. And without this sleeve, the knot may eventually swell and break the handle. It's true?

Because it does not have a metal sleeve into which a node is inserted, as on Semogue. And without this sleeve, the knot may eventually swell and break the handle. It's true?

No. Just make sure when you soak it, the handle is clear of the water. Omega and Zenith both make boars without the ring, and they do know what they are doing...

I’ve kept a SOC boar, omega 10065, and a Zenith 2000 CXE alphabet something, unbleached, from Your Shaving for $8.something in my regular rotation. And a 40033 as a traveler.

I ran through several Semogues before settling on the SOC. It’s pillowy soft when well broken in but not the floppy splaying mess most Semogues are. Picked up the -65 and fell in love with it. Denser, just right backbone, beautifully comfortably scrubby. It became my primary for a long time. Compared specs and assumed the 10005 was the same knot. It wasn’t. Thin, floppy and splays like a Semogue. The ash handle was ok, but gritty and poorly finished with whatever sealer they used. Passed it on to a new shaver.

The Zenith… she’s a beaut. Best boar I’ve ever put to my face. A more backbone, less splay, quickly soft tips lather machine upgraded SOC. Plastic injected moulded handle that’s the heaviest, most solid, cleanly executed plastic handle I’ve ever touched. I didn’t get a fancier Zenith than the 2000 because I don’t want a bigger than a 24mm brush. And I’m perfectly content with it. For less that $9.

OP, if you love your 66, you can basically pull the black ringed knot out of the handle, get someone to make a handle to your specs and desires and seat the brush and knot cup into the new one. Simple as.

IMG_7232.jpeg

Top Bottom