What's new

Observation about boar brushes -- am I crazy?

Absolutely accurate. You will note that I mentioned it as a badger/boar combination. If one is looking for great backbone I would consider it a reasonable possibility. Certainly if including badger hair in your boar brush is illegal in your state you would ignore it as a choice. :adoration:
:adoration:

I actually love the SOC Mistura with Cherry handle. One of my favorites, sort of the best of both worlds. It is not a bit floppy, which the OP would probably appreciate.

:yesnod:

I prefer unbleached boar bristles--certainly not to the exclusion of rejecting bleached bristles if that's the only option with a handle I like--but it is my preference.

I'm not sure that the difference comes from stripping oils so much as (my best guess) that the chemical process of bleaching somewhat softening the bristles and tips so that the break-in period is shorter. I think many people (probably most?) are happy with that trade off.

I'm in the sub-set of users who prefer to do their own break-in process without the "benefit" of bleaching (even if it is a bit longer) and to gain (what seems to me) as the slight increase in backbone I get from an unbleached boar brush that I've broken-in myself.

Bleached vs unbleached is obviously not the only factor at play in how floppy or stiff a boar knot will be, and that it generally isn't night and day difference. Subtleties.

Bill

@Greg788

You may want to check out the Zenith boar brushes from Palermo, Sicily.

They have the qualities that you seem to be looking for, including having unbleached and bleached options, all of which have substantial backbone. Very high quality.

Even the least expensive models perform well. And the premium offerings are not so dear.

Check out the Your Shaving website in Spain. They have very fast international delivery and great pricing.

Bill

I don't think there are any unbleached brushes in the Semogue lineup.
I believe The Semogue 1800 is unbleached.

1800.jpg

I believe The Semogue 1800 is unbleached.

View attachment 1759043

Here's some brushes side-by-side to compare (L to R)
- Bleached Zenith 80
- Unbleached Zenith 80
- Semogue 1800

1701776345649.png

Maybe the Semogue is a little less bleached than the one on the left, but it seems more bleached than the one in the center. Granted, the lighting may not be exactly the same in the original photos, and there is that dye stripe on the Semogue, but still...

so you prefer the C5 torga to the Soc?
I recently got an Omega 11137 👍

I do like the C5 Torga boar more than the SOC boar. The SOC boar gets a little out of control after it breaks in and blooms, IMHO.

I've also got a SOC Mistura and SOC Finest, though, and they are really good ones, also.

I think the 11137 might be one I like more than the SOC boar (Sacrilege!). Plus, the price is very reasonable on that one.

It varies from brush to brush, but generally I think Omega knots are less treated than Semogues. It depends what you like, but personally I like Omega knots the best too. With the caveat that I haven't tried an unbleached Zenith, I imagine the level of treatment on the hairs goes roughly:

Bleached Zenith > Typical Semogue > Typical Omega > Unbleached Zenith

Generally speaking, the more treated the hair the floppier the brush, but that's only one factor. For example, my bleached Zeniths actually have quite a lot of backbone due to the density of the knots.

I never tried the SOC although they often look rather mop-like from people's photos. If you want a Semogue, the 1305 has good backbone due to the density. I used to be a Semogue fan but have had bad luck on recent purchases with 3 faulty knots in a row, so now I am sticking to Omega.

I second @NorthernSoul 's recommendation of the Omega 11137 for something similar to the 10065 with a nicer handle - I used to have one of these and it was a good brush. I am currently checking out the 10005, which has similar dimensions but almost no backbone at all, which was a surprise to me. The 11137 knot is definitely closer to the 10065 in terms of splay / backbone.

I do like the C5 Torga boar more than the SOC boar. The SOC boar gets a little out of control after it breaks in and blooms, IMHO.

I've also got a SOC Mistura and SOC Finest, though, and they are really good ones, also.

I think the 11137 might be one I like more than the SOC boar (Sacrilege!). Plus, the price is very reasonable on that one.
I have a Soc Boar and an Omega 11137 and a mistura Soc
Never tried the C5 torga, but I don't think I'll take it as I already have the Soc
Mistura is fantastic, I have yet to try omega 11137 "i'm starting it"

...I am currently checking out the 10005, which has similar dimensions but almost no backbone at all, which was a surprise to me. The 11137 knot is definitely closer to the 10065 in terms of splay / backbone.

An even more inexpensive Omega boar with a similar feel to the 11137 is the 10081 beehive. Slightly more compact, I think. The handle is lightweight plastic, but has a nice shape and good grip. I added some weight to the handle on my 10081 and it is pretty nice now.

An even more inexpensive Omega boar with a similar feel to the 11137 is the 10081 beehive. Slightly more compact, I think. The handle is lightweight plastic, but has a nice shape and good grip. I added some weight to the handle on my 10081 and it is pretty nice now.

I would like one of them but Connaught hasn't had them for months, otherwise I would already own one. Some other vendors have it but the prices look a bit unreasonable. Hopefully it isn't a discontinued model.

this is 10081? 👍

1701780915485.png

here in Italy this can be found in the supermarket for 6 euro

I would like one of them but Connaught hasn't had them for months, otherwise I would already own one. Some other vendors have it but the prices look a bit unreasonable. Hopefully it isn't a discontinued model.
The 10081 is the "baby" beehive. There is a slightly larger one, model 80080, I believe. It's pretty similar, with slightly larger knot 24mm + 54mm loft.

Top Bottom