What's new

Observation about boar brushes -- am I crazy?

I have 2 boar brushes -- a Semogue with bleached hair (ca. $20) and a cheapo $10 Omega with natural brown hair.

I swear the Omega lathers better. Is it possible the bleaching removes oil or something and negatively affects "latherability" ?

I don't know, but I would think that after lathering with a brush a few times that any residual oil would be removed by lathering and rinsing. If there is a difference, I would chalk it up to bristle number/size and how you lather.

In fairness, I can't remember the last time I saw a post about a problem boar brush; once they break in, Semogue/Omega/(I forget the other major brand) should all be good.

Hope this helps!

The only 10066 I've handled had bleached hair, so I can't say. I'd assume that it is just the characteristics of that particular bunch of hair. Omega makes a nice brush and many people prefer them.

I don't know, but I would think that after lathering with a brush a few times that any residual oil would be removed by lathering and rinsing. If there is a difference, I would chalk it up to bristle number/size and how you lather.

In fairness, I can't remember the last time I saw a post about a problem boar brush; once they break in, Semogue/Omega/(I forget the other major brand) should all be good.

Hope this helps!
It may also be that the Omega has a stiffer backbone, too, now that I think more about it. The Semogue is like the badger silver hair of boar, if that makes sense

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I will say that the 66 is a fine little brush. I like both Semogue and Omega, bleached and natural. I can’t tell much difference with the bristles for producing lather myself.

I face lather. My 10066 has the backbone I love. Omega typically beats Semogue and Zenith in my book, but I enjoy them all. In my experience, unbleached knots require several shaves (or some break in process) before they lather as well as a bleached knot on shave 1.

Generally I find that loft and density have a bigger effect on lathering than bleached vs unbleached once boar knots are broken in.

lasta

Blade Biter
It may also be that the Omega has a stiffer backbone, too, now that I think more about it. The Semogue is like the badger silver hair of boar, if that makes sense
Stiffer hair, lower density.

Most Semogues I've tried are floppy-ish, expands during lathering and introduces more air bubbles.

I may need to buy another Omega. Question: is there a version of the 10066 with a nicer handle?

I have 2 boar brushes -- a Semogue with bleached hair (ca. $20) and a cheapo $10 Omega with natural brown hair.

I swear the Omega lathers better. Is it possible the bleaching removes oil or something and negatively affects "latherability" ?

I've always found unbleached badger and boar hair perform better than bleached hair.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The OP asked about boar brushes. The Mistura is a great brush, but not strictly speaking a boar brush!

:nonod:
Absolutely accurate. You will note that I mentioned it as a badger/boar combination. If one is looking for great backbone I would consider it a reasonable possibility. Certainly if including badger hair in your boar brush is illegal in your state you would ignore it as a choice. :adoration:
:adoration:

Top Bottom