What's new

Oats - Overnight oats that is!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Peach Cobbler overnight oats take 2.

The only difference is that I put my not-quite-ready frozen peaches(just the peaches) in the microwave for 1 minute. I let them cool off and then made the breakfast as usual.

Result? Much better, not quite the same as having fresh peaches but I believe that's the best I can do right now pending the next peach season.

I had a look to buy the peaches either in a tin or cup. Those that are noted to be in water only (no syrup, no juice, no sugar) have sucralose. I would like to have peaches and water only but I couldn't find any of that.

So, the next best thing that I found was apple-peach sauce (like apple sauce but apples+peaches). Those are unsweetened. I put those in my kid's lunches. I use apple sauce already to make the apple cobbler and it works very well. As soon as those are on special again I will get a box and see how I go.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was able to find a few Oats threads that were quite interesting:
I did not find a specific oatmeal thread that discussed the overnight oats. It's a simple and quick (depending on if you plan ahead) way to have breakfast ready when you get up in the morning. I am not an oat person or a cereal eater but since I discovered those, I eat them 3 times a week.

The recipe that I follow is simple (1 serving):
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla cashew milk (it's more tasty than water and I seem to have issues processing milk). I measure 120 grams on the scale using the "water ratio" which is 1 gram = 1 ml.
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 100 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 150 grams of frozen blueberries

I mix everything together in a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. It's ready to eat the next morning.

I tried Steel-cut oats but since they are not instant, the texture wasn't to my liking the next day (I like them mushy and it didn't taste cooked or ready I should say).

I also tried different nuts but the almonds are the best combo to bring some crunch back to the mushy texture (but not too much). Hemp seeds bring omega 3 so I think that's good for me, it doesn't do much in terms of texture.

I looked around and the basic overnight oat recipe seems to always be a 1:1 ratio of oats vs liquid. In my case, I have a bit more since 40 grams of oats is around 1/3 of a cup instead of 1/2 cup. I won't start on how the oat company says(on the bag) that 40 grams of oats equal 1/2 cup, that's a different story.

I gave the measurements in grams since I use a scale to prepare it after dinner. I do that in order to control my calorie intake. So far, I've been losing a decent amount of weight slowly and I believe that oats are helping a lot since the above recipe has a decent amount of calories (but not too much) and I feel full until lunchtime.

What's your overnight oat recipe?
Oats are the weak spot in my low carb diet; I can't seem to give them up. I do use the steel cut because they digest lower in the gut and don't spike insulin terribly. I haven't used the soaking method because I only one meal a day so there is no rush for breakfast. I wish I hadn't come across this thread because I feel a large bowl of oats at dinner - with honey and cream

Luc

Staff member
Oats are the weak spot in my low carb diet; I can't seem to give them up. I do use the steel cut because they digest lower in the gut and don't spike insulin terribly. I haven't used the soaking method because I only one meal a day so there is no rush for breakfast. I wish I hadn't come across this thread because I feel a large bowl of oats at dinner - with honey and cream
The steel-cut oats didn't do that well overnight (very crunchy). I was cooking them in the pressure cooker first and let everything else soak overnight to be ready the next day. Large flakes or quick oats do not need a pre-cook. I eat them cold, it's like having dessert.

The steel-cut oats didn't do that well overnight (very crunchy). I was cooking them in the pressure cooker first and let everything else soak overnight to be ready the next day. Large flakes or quick oats do not need a pre-cook. I eat them cold, it's like having dessert.
Rolled oats are steamed when they are processed, so they don't really need cooking (it just helps them hydrate faster and adds some creaminess).

Steel-cut oats are just raw whole oats that have been cut into a few pieces so they will cook faster (raw whole oats take around 45-60 minutes to cook, steel-cut oats half that time or less).

Raw oats take 1 minute 50 seconds in my microwave to cook. I eat those or quick oats. I don't like instant oats and refuse to eat those single serving oats that are really depositories for excess sugar.

Luc

Staff member
Carrot cake overnight oats
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
  • 10 grams of crushed walnuts
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 20 grams of frozen blueberries (I didn't have sultanas)
  • 60 grams of shredded carrots (They were sweet a bit, I made sure they were not bitter)
  • 1 teaspoon of honey (It was missing some sweetness a bit).
Overall good, but not good enough for me to do this one again.

Next week, Pina Colada (or Piña colada)! (Pineapple+shredded coconut+coconut milk).

Luc

Staff member
I had a leftover pumpkin that I had to eat this weekend so I made a bowl of oats for lunch. The pumpkin was already cooked so I added it (skin on) and mashed it with everything.

It was a buttercup pumpkin, I usually use acorn squash. It must be because they are in season, that buttercup was above average!

When not in oats, I eat my pressured cooked pumpkin with either soy sauce, tamari, or even Bragg liquid seasoning. I find it nice just like that.

Luc

Staff member
Ok, Pina Colada results.

It was a disaster. I made my overnight oats on Sunday. I had this one on Friday. I used leftover coconut milk (pineapple+coconut milk+shredded coconut) to make it.

Friday morning, very bitter. 2 tablespoons of honey later, it's ok, not great but okay (I hate trashing food). Thinking of it, it probably belongs in the trash but I didn't get sick or anything so it's all right.

I will remake this one at a later date (not this week). The grocery store has the apple sauces on special this week that I buy for lunches. They have some that are Pineapple-apple, Peach-apple, Berries-apple, you get the idea.

Since the portion is pre-measured, it's not economical to do it this way but it should taste better than the green peaches that I microwave. The pina colada(pineapple-apple sauce) should be better since I won't use coconut milk next time.

This morning it was a mix of peach/banana (To finish my bag of peaches) and peanut butter. It was pretty sweet!

Luc

Staff member
Coconut milk can spoil very fast. Be careful. That might be why it was bitter.
I'm sure it was the coconut milk. I have a few cans that I need to use. I used it in my 3 overnight oats last week and Friday was the only one that wasn't good.

I will try a strawberry shortcake next week. It's pretty much the same recipe as the peach cobbler but with strawberries.

Luc

Staff member
I shall get back to Pina Colada next week as I received yesterday what I needed to make it.

Today, I was able to test the Pina Colada theory.

Background: My daughter had those GoGo Squeeze apple sauce and there's one of them that she didn't want anymore. I believe she got bored with the flavor. I know, I can keep it for 2-3 weeks(months? years?) and give it to her in her lunch but since she was very animate about not liking it (that's what she says when she doesn't want something, in particular. I won't start on chicken...).

I used that to make my overnight oats. It was apple-berry flavor. I also had a leftover of frozen strawberries so I made it with the little pouch (90 grams) and added 60 grams of strawberries to get to my magical 150 grams of fruits.

The result was nice but far from economical.

The recipe is repetitive at this stage:
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 60 grams of frozen strawberries
  • 1 pouch of GoGo Squeeze apple sauce - Berry (90 grams)
I don't always add a teaspoon of Honey, I didn't need to today. When I eat my oats, I take my bowl out of the refrigerator, give it a good mix, and taste at least 3 bites from different spots in the bowl. If it's lacking sweetness, that's when I add a teaspoon of honey, mix, and try again.

In those little apple sauce pouches, I also got apple-pineapple and Apple-orange-lemon-lime. I believe those will make interesting flavors and the cashew milk should be all right with the acidity.

Last edited:
I just found this thread. My wife has made me overnight oats for years. She makes them in small mason jars, 8oz I think.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp chia seeds
Various jellies, fruits, syrups or honey for flavor and variety.
1/2 cup almond milk (fill jar to top)

Put it in the fridge and it's ready to eat, or toss in my lunch box the next morning. Yummy and filling.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
Apple-Peach sauce update.

• 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 60 grams of frozen blueberries
  • 1 pouch of GoGo Squeeze apple sauce - Peach(90 grams)
I know, it's a fruit salad at this stage but the peach flavor was missing quite a bit. So, using the apple sauce works but I would possibly need to wait until next year to get fresh peaches (in season) to do this one again. It was good but my blueberries were stronger than the peach. Apple was the second taste.

I stumbled upon a different recipe over the weekend, blueberry cheesecake. I will update once made and tasted next week.

Luc

Staff member
Try a little white grape juice with your peaches and see if that doesn't bring out the flavor.
I almost put a teaspoon of Honey but, it was sweet enough for my liking. I will check or maybe try and find a different brand of peaches in the frozen department.

I call it "refrigerator oatmeal", and eat it every morning. I use half-pint Ball jars with plastic Ball leak-proof lids.

My favorite recipe:
  • 1 Tbs of chopped walnuts
  • 1 Tbs of raisins
  • 1/4 tsp brown sugar
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/3 c old fashioned rolled oats
  • Fill with vanilla almond milk and shake
I usually make four at once and store (where else?) in the fridge.

I've also used powdered peanut butter in the above recipe (1 tablespoon), but leave out the walnuts, raisins, and cinnamon. Also, you can use substitute pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon above, for a holiday oatmeal.

Now, I need to go back and re-read this thread for some other recipe ideas. 🙂

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
Blueberry cheesecake overnight oats
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 150 grams of frozen blueberries
  • 2 triangles of laughing cow cheese
I like those little laughing cow triangles(or cheese wedges as they call them), the portion is easy to mix in the bowl. I put 2 to be sure. I got a slight cheese taste but then, I'm addicted to cheese (nothing is too cheesy). However, I got blueberries in every bite, so maybe fewer blueberries next time. Overall, I'm making that one again.

For Friday, clementines are in season at the moment so I made one using that. I used the cashew milk as I'm afraid that a clementine will curdle the milk (cow's milk). The update to be posted on Friday.

I already have an idea for next week since the cheesecake went well but I don't know if I will be able to make a "Tiramisu" type overnight oat. I usually drink my coffee...

Luc

Staff member
Clementine overnight oats
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 120 grams of Clementine (2 of them really)
  • 30 grams of frozen blueberries (mostly for color)

I removed the skin on the clementines and opened them but I did not cut them. I ended up adding honey as the clementines were sour more than anything else. I like sour but sweet and sour is better in this case.

Overall, it's okay but not more. I prefer eating a clementine just like that.

Jacques Pepin's recipe for oatmeal soup.

6 slices bacon
2 small leeks, washed, trimmed and chopped
5 cups water
1 cup Irish coarse oatmeal (not steel-cut)
1½ teaspoons salt
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

Fry or microwave the bacon. Saute the chopped leeks in 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Add the water, salt and oatmeal. Boil for 25 to 30 minutes. Add the milk, half and half and pepper, and bring back to a boil. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.

This is a luncheon or dinner dish or maybe a savory breakfast. I've tried it. It's easy and remarkably good.

Top Bottom