What's new

Oats - Overnight oats that is!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Part 2 of the PB&J overnight oats.

To recap:
  • 40 grams of quick oats
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds
  • 10 grams of hemp seeds
  • 100 grams of plain Greek yogurt (I use lactose-free and 0%)
  • 150 grams of frozen blueberries
10 grams of Powdered Peanut butter (PB&ME) and it was spot on. I possibly need to switch from blueberries to strawberries next time but 10 grams hits the spot for me!

Luc

Part 3 of PB&J overnight oats (yeah, that's still going).

I changed the blueberries to frozen strawberries. They were disappointing, to be honest. We are entering the strawberry season and they are very watery compared to fresh strawberries. I will need to use some fresh ones and I have a pack of strawberries (still frozen) coming this week hoping they will taste better (during the off-season).

The experiment continues...

Luc

Ok, Steel Cut oats. I'm starting to use that big bag (I'm not going to trash them, it's food).

I found a lot of recipes online and the ratios seem different in most recipes (oats vs liquids, 1 see 1:3 or 1:4 often).

I like my overnight oats so I tried to make overnight oats using 2 different recipes.

This time, I did what I never do: batch cooking. Since I eat oats 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), I made my 3 rations Sunday night.

recipe 1 (6 portions, I shared the remaining 3)
  • 240 grams steel cut oats (40 grams per portion)
  • 360 ml Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk (or use Almond milk, milk, what you like) - (120ml per portion)
  • 720 ml water - (240ml per portion)
recipe 2 (6 portions again, and I also shared 3)
  • 240 grams of steel-cut oats (40 grams per portion)
  • 360 ml cashew milk - (120ml per portion)
  • 360 ml water - (120ml per portion)
both recipes were cooked in the pressure cooker (I have a ninja foodie but an instant pot or any pressure cooker would do).
Cook time: 10 mins
Natural release: 10 mins (meaning, when it's cooked, turn off, don't touch the valve to release the pressure for 10 mins).

Results:
I did not see much of a difference between recipes 1 and 2. The next day, it got thicker and the oats were cooked properly.

For the first recipe, I used a pot in pot to avoid cleaning the big pot. Second I did not and it was easy to clean.

Recipe 2 is probably better. This Sunday, I will possibly try a 1:1 ratio (i.e. no water, just oats, and cashew milk). I shall see the result and report back(even if it burns, if you use regular milk, it might).

Batch cooking isn't something that I normally do but it worked well with the steel-cut oats since cooking 1 bowl at a time in the pressure cooker would be a pain.

Luc

Same recipe with Rolled oats (no pre-cook like steel cut oats). Strangely, Quick oats, rolled and steel cut are all the same product but processed differently. They are not exactly the same. I'm fairly sure that I was eating rolled oats when I was a kid. I much prefer it now.

I prefer Rolled oats, the texture is better. I'm almost done with my bag of steel-cut oats and I have a few quick oats bags also that are open(This is what happens when more than one person eats some and doesn't always check if the last bag was finished or not). I will finish them and continue on Rolled oats after that. The package says to use 1 part oats for 2 parts liquids, I did the same ratio as quick oats (40 grams rolled oats + 120 ml cashew unsweetened vanilla milk).

Tomorrow is the Peanut butter - Raspberry oat. I changed my 10 grams of sliced almonds for 10 grams of dry roasted (no salt) peanuts. I also have 10 grams of PB2 (Powdered Peanut Butter) in there.

Luc

New one this morning

Peanut butter Banana!

• 40 grams of oats
  • 120 ml of milk (cashew here)
  • 80 grams of banana (I had a small organic banana as I don't like using 1/2 a banana and a regular one is a lot)
  • 10 grams of powdered peanut butter (PB2)
  • 10 grams of slivered almonds (peanuts turn soggy after a few hours, since I only want to run off with the bowl, almonds are a better choice to add crunch!).
  • 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of honey. I don't usually add honey but I have a jar turning to sugar so I'm slowly using it.

When I mixed everything, I mashed the banana a bit. Surprisingly, the banana did not change color this morning (no black spots).

That's it! This one will be part of the rotation!

Top Bottom