What's new

Numbered British Gillette Chart

what a great resource!

I have a Traveler #4 set with a NEW razor - the razor was in original cellophane when I got it; I assume it was unused and is the original & appropriate razor for the set. I have seen one other #4 - that with the Popular TTO.

Hope this is useful info....

proxy.php

Excellent point, this is an oversight, will be corrected in the "next edition".
Thanks!

Excellent job Arik.

After finding my #16 I have a fascination with the British models especially given Australia was a British Colony for so long.

Much is the pity I can't claim any kudos for this but this is from MTGraylings great Rocket Guide from TSD.

A great read on British Rockets.

"#6: Aristocrat Jr./#48; ... More features of these razors ...... and un-notched post reminiscent of a 1947 Super Speed, this is the only un-notched Rocket type that I know of."

In above table you have that #48 is notched .

what a great resource!

I have a Traveler #4 set with a NEW razor - the razor was in original cellophane when I got it; I assume it was unused and is the original & appropriate razor for the set. I have seen one other #4 - that with the Popular TTO.

Hope this is useful info....

proxy.php

I have seen it both ways too, I made the assumption that the set with the "New" was a wrong razor/case match, but this, may indicate the opposite. Thank you!

Excellent job Arik.

After finding my #16 I have a fascination with the British models especially given Australia was a British Colony for so long.

Much is the pity I can't claim any kudos for this but this is from MTGraylings great Rocket Guide from TSD.

A great read on British Rockets.

"#6: Aristocrat Jr./#48; ... More features of these razors ...... and un-notched post reminiscent of a 1947 Super Speed, this is the only un-notched Rocket type that I know of."

In above table you have that #48 is notched .

You are right: the #48 is no notched:
proxy.php

Oh no no no.

Every morning I pray "Lead us not into temptation."

Then Guido's SuperSpeed guide comes along. I love Larry and I love Superspeeds but they are plentiful, cheap and common so I can resist.

Then I see Chris' guide to Rockets over at the shaveden. I *really* love Rockets. That was hard to resist. Very hard.

And now this. This has got me. This I cannot resist. I give in. I am a broken man. You win.

Oh no no no.

Every morning I pray "Lead us not into temptation."

Then Guido's SuperSpeed guide comes along. I love Larry and I love Superspeeds but they are plentiful, cheap and common so I can resist.

Then I see Chris' guide to Rockets over at the shaveden. I *really* love Rockets. That was hard to resist. Very hard.

And now this. This has got me. This I cannot resist. I give in. I am a broken man. You win.

I am a weak man and easily led...well thats my excuse.

I have always wanted to try an Aristocrat but this guide is fuelling that temptation. So far they seem to be hard to pin down at a resonable price. when they come up in the B/S/T forum they are snapped up and I have seen a few WTB's going unanswered so I may need to resort to blackmail.

One day....

Oh no no no. And now this. This has got me. This I cannot resist. I give in. I am a broken man. You win.
I have always wanted to try an Aristocrat

Just to rub salt in the wound.....

Though I'm still a newbie I've been cutting my teeth on a Fatboy over the last couple of months.

This morning chucked a new Derby into my near mint #16 and whammo, one of the best shaves I've had in the last 2 months ( my technique has definitely improved :smile:)

I've always wanted to use my #16 as my everyday shaver as it's so purdy, and I'm now adept enough to do that. Somehow the thought of shaving every morning with a shiny 61 year old Rhodium razor is just so appealing. :001_tt2:

( Sorry guys I'm just not a collector to have things sitting in a cabinet )

Last edited:
BUMP this useful post.

Having found a #21 today during my research found that Mr Razor has an advert for the #21 that shows as a 1948.
http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid guard bar/1948 Aristocrat No21.JPG

In addition mine was in a bare metal case like the Aristocrat shown on Mr Razors site but with red velvet rather than the blue leatherette.

http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1950s British Aristcrat.jpg

Further resource shows a number of #21s in this sort of case. I can see at least 3 instances. Best evidence this "mint" sale:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53800&highlight=aristocrat

Too much coincidence to be a mismatch set ??? :confused:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
BUMP this useful post.

In addition mine was in a bare metal case like the Aristocrat shown on Mr Razors site but with red velvet rather than the blue leatherette.

http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid guard bar/1950s British Aristcrat.jpg

Hope this helps.

This one is not a #21 because the center bar is grooved, and the two large rings are not there - does have a flat bottom plate, and this is woudl make it a number 16. Should ask Achim why he placed it separately under "British Aristocrat"...

Last edited:
Further resource shows a number of #21s in this sort of case. I can see at least 3 instances. Best evidence this "mint" sale:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53800&highlight=aristocrat

Hope this helps.

This one COULD be a mismatch of case and razor ( I would guess a #15 case). Adverts make very strong argument, if you have them.... we could prove wrong though. It is not that uncommon to have the case and razors mis-matched

Last edited:
This one is not a #21 because the center bar is grooved, and the two large rings are not there - does have a flat bottom plate, and this is woudl make it a number 16. Should ask Achim why he placed it separately under "British Aristocrat"...

Sorry mate, I didn't explain myself properly.

The case that I've shown from Achim's site says "1948-1952 British Aristocrat". I wasn't saying it was a #21 just using the case for illustration.

The case I have has the same pattern on top of it but with red velvet lining, just like the one from Copperheads BST Entry .

Here's my piccies.
proxy.php
proxy.php

As I say, I've found about 3 pictures of #21s with the same patterned case with red velvet in them. Just seems a bit of a coincidence for 3 #21s to be mismatched into exactly the same mismatched case...........

Other refs I can quickly refind:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28933
( and you seem to have find a #21 in another type of case later in the thread )
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=286319&sid=25e8cddc99d0c465b82cf05efee00e14 ( Post 4 - From another Australian)

The case I have also has an Aristocrat Instruction Guide in it ( again might be from the original razor or moved from the original box :tongue:).

I suppose my thinking is if the #16 has three different cases then why not other models ??

Maybe country specific ????

Suppose I was hoping we could get some confirmation from other members who might have their #21 in the same bare metal case.

Sorry for the confusion.

Not trying to diss the Gurus..........:001_smile

Last edited:
Other refs I can quickly refind:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28933
( and you seem to have find a #21 in another type of case later in the thread )
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=286319&sid=25e8cddc99d0c465b82cf05efee00e14 ( Post 4 - From another Australian)

The case I have also has an Aristocrat Instruction Guide in it ( again might be from the original razor or moved from the original box :tongue:).

I suppose my thinking is if the #16 has three different cases then why not other models ??

Suppose I was hoping we could get some confirmation from other members who might have their #21 in the same bare metal case.

Sorry for the confusion.

Not trying to diss the Gurus..........:001_smile

Please do not worry at all about dissing any gurus :cool: we are all at one point or another of a long learning curve, and the discussion is interesting!

The first link you brought here shows a #21 in a out of focus pictures in what looks like a bare metal case like the #15. That is th esame set shown later in the thread in the painted (tan) case. It was mine some time ago. I believe people suggested then, that the painted tin case were Australian editions. But, th ejury is still out whether it is a true match. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

..and that is still entirely possible, that there were different cases. I believe the number 15 holds the record for documented different cases, and -pretty sure the #16 had more than one type of case. Sometimes adverts are nowhere to be found, and then one resorts to "statistics". Kind of the same argument with the Regent Tech: How many sets have the "senator" razors in them, and how often do they appear with the "aristocrat" razor.

BUMP this useful post.

http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1950s British Aristcrat.jpg

Hope this helps.

for me it´s a #16 too. I´ve received this match some years ago. I think it´s a mismatch, so I called it only "british Aristocrat". Have anybody some information for me about the right razor for this case?

the table is great but pictures would be good, can we do that -- esp. the sort Achim posts, with multiple angles and cases and . . . . everything :drool:

Maybe a wiki?

Top Bottom