What's new

Not trying to tell them how to run their business….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It seems that saving the environment through shaving has become a flavor of the month every month.

“Switch to DE and help save the environment, produce less waste!. But also, buy our 10 different scented soaps all packaged in plastic. Oh yeah, don’t forget our matching aftershave!”

Meanwhile we all have 20 different razors, 60 different soaps, 45 different aftershaves, 28 brushes, bowls, mugs, scuttles, etc. etc. etc.

Going Crazy Homer Simpson GIF

It seems that saving the environment through shaving has become a flavor of the month every month.
Well to be honest I only got into DE shaving because I like the technology, technique and the heritage. My 'carbon footprint' is actually stunningly small. Except for one I even only have 2nd hand razors. A fancy way of saying that is vintage :)

We are not saving the planet. We are saving ourselves. The planet will still be happily spinning well after we are gone. Our over-inflated ego is amazing, that we are under a delusional fantasy that we can destroy a planet. We can only destroy ourselves, and the only sure way of that is still a full-on nuclear war.

Last edited:
“Switch to DE and help save the environment, produce less waste!. But also, buy our 10 different scented soaps all packaged in plastic. Oh yeah, don’t forget our matching aftershave!”

Meanwhile we all have 20 different razors, 60 different soaps, 45 different aftershaves, 28 brushes, bowls, mugs, scuttles, etc. etc. etc.

Going Crazy Homer Simpson GIF
Exactly. And don’t forget the fuel that’s burned driving all over the place to find all the environment saving supplies or the delivery vehicles bringing it to the house.

60 razors in a den vs 600 in a landfill doing my part hahahaha
I just despise virtue-signaling in all its forms. It seems to be some kind of Pavlovian reaction for megacompanies, 'celebrities' and advertising in the past few years, and it's been growing exponentially the past 5-8 years.

I would like to see an honest ad. Like a T.V ad for an oil company that said something like 'We pump crude oil and gas from the most impossible environments, turn it into an amazing variety of products and directly and indirectly provide hundreds of millions with a good livelihood and an increased quality of life around the globe. We help keep the lights on. Literally. We provide you with the fuel you burn to drive to the store, or to drive to an environmental protest. We have helped provide you, your parents and grandparents with the material prosperity and opportunity for education and betterment for the past 80 years. Celebrate your achievements or self-loath, the choice is yours. Meanwhile we will just do what we do best. Pump crude oil and gas'
and the coal guys with huge trucks and gear all dusty saying we supply the energy for your electric car :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Exactly. And don’t forget the fuel that’s burned driving all over the place to find all the environment saving supplies or the delivery vehicles bringing it to the house.

I would even argue that cartridges create LESS waste. When I used a cartridge I don’t remember having more than ONE can of foam, ONE bottle of AS, ONE razor. And I tried to use that cartridge as long as I could. I wasn’t buying something new every week.

I would even argue that cartridges create LESS waste. When I used a cartridge I don’t remember having more than ONE can of foam, ONE bottle of AS, ONE razor. And I tried to use that cartridge as long as I could. I wasn’t buying something new every week.
I couldn’t agree more.

Amongst the many reasons why I started DE shaving, was because i've seen lots of people saying that it's fairly inexpensive and that in the long run I can save lots of money compared to buying cartridge razors. Of course, back then I didn't know any better or was I planning to own more than 1 razor or anything else, so ask me how that worked out for me and did I actually save any money.

maxresdefault.jpg

It would be interesting to see the amount of resources the Gillette plant in Russia uses to produce and transport millions of de blades all over the world each year.

I just despise virtue-signaling in all its forms. It seems to be some kind of Pavlovian reaction for megacompanies, 'celebrities' and advertising in the past few years, and it's been growing exponentially the past 5-8 years.

I would like to see an honest ad. Like a T.V ad for an oil company that said something like 'We pump crude oil and gas from the most impossible environments, turn it into an amazing variety of products and directly and indirectly provide hundreds of millions with a good livelihood and an increased quality of life around the globe. We help keep the lights on. Literally. We provide you with the fuel you burn to drive to the store, or to drive to an environmental protest. We have helped provide you, your parents and grandparents with the material prosperity and opportunity for education and betterment for the past 80 years. Celebrate your achievements or self-loath, the choice is yours. Meanwhile we will just do what we do best. Pump crude oil and gas'
I once responded to an oil company marketing questionnaire with something just like that in response to how can we improve our image type question. Further I said. If they really cared what peoole thought they wouldn't let Coke sell water for $10 a gallon Inside their store making bank as they sold the life blood of civilization for $2 a gallon.
I was like sell.gas in 20 Oz bottles and people will change their mind about you.

Omg the responses I got were hilarious and like ummmmm.

So interesting when a thread takes some twists and turns! Going back to my original post, I was suggesting that there might be an opportunity for marketing DE/wet shave products from and environmental benefit perspective. I hear you that the use of these products has led to a hobby for some of us and accumulation of products that might negate environmental benefits. But not all users of these products would necessarily venture down the acquisition hole of hobbyists. A recycled vintage razor, a supply of blades and some soap might work just fine for some. So not everyone would negate environmental benefits by collecting vs. simply consuming products, and beneficial changes are possible.

Last edited:

But if you want an honest ad, shouldn’t it also say that as a result, a warming climate is threatening our existence. Nice and factual- the way you like it?

I don't have 20 razors. I even might take that as an insult. :lol:
And for the record, I never got into DE for saving money. Back around 1986 when I started shaving more than half of the male population here used DE. Only yellow BIC disposables were avalable and a locally manufactured one blade disposable. That's it. So I started with a disposable and a couple of months later got a DE.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I could see the ad. So much to work with. Carts and disposable razors are the worst. Overpriced and they fill up landfills or end up in the ocean in that giant plastic trash island. Save money. Save your face. Save the planet. Now the question is who to cast. A supermodel or an unknown like the go daddy girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom