What's new

Rare bourbons not named Pappy

Great article from Gearpatrol.com about some great and somewhat rare Bourbons to check out-

"Call it the
Pappy effect if you want, or just plain business savvy, but most distilleries saw an opportunity in limited, premium bourbons in the early 2000s. They’ve done wonders to help to fuel the boom and raise the profile of the entire industry.

We took a pilgrimage to one of Lexington’s best bourbon bars, the Blue Grass Tavern, to pay our respects and lay eyes (and a camera lenses) on one of the most impressive gatherings of bourbon in the world. The bottles below represent a portion of the supposed crème de la crème in the marketplace today, at least from a perception standpoint. Like with Pappy, you’ve got better shot at colonizing Mars than finding a bottle at your local shop without some careful planning and perhaps a kickback or two. Most are allocated in the fall each year and spoken for before ever leaving the box. Thieves aren’t
heisting these cases
just yet though. Stay sharp at your town’s best bourbon bar and you might just spy a few of these holding court on a top shelf, or even on the drink menu."

ELIJAH CRAIG 18 YEAR OLD SINGLE BARREL BOURBON

proxy.php

Heaven Hill’s Elijah Craig brand has always held the respect of enthusiasts. At the time of its release, the company claimed this super-premium bourbon was the oldest single barrel bourbon in the world, though other releases (20-, 21- and 23-year) have subsequently taken that crown. It was awarded “Best Bourbon” and a “Double Gold Medal” at San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2010. Elijah Craig announced that it was being replaced by a 20-year-old offering in 2012 because of supply constraints. Rumor is the 18-year-old offering will return at some point.

THE BUFFALO TRACE ANTIQUE COLLECTION

proxy.php

This limited-edition series is released annually and is probably the second most recognized line of super-premium bourbons beyond Pappy. Today it consists of five bottles including Sazerac Rye 18 Year Old, Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye, Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Bourbon, George T. Stagg Bourbon and William Larue Weller Wheated Bourbon. All of the offerings in the “BTAC”, as its known by fans, have won various medals and awards for their quality, though some are more sought after than others. Each bottle is supposed to retail for somewhere around $80. On the secondary market, most fetch upwards of $300.

FOUR ROSES LIMITED EDITION SINGLE BARREL

proxy.php

The now-annual release from Four Roses may not have the same name-brand recognition as other bottles on this list, but it’s prized by bourbon lovers. It shares the same bottle shape as Four Roses’ excellent regular single barrel offering, making it harder to identify without focusing on the label design. Master Distiller Jim Rutledge uses the opportunity to hand select a set of barrels from one of the company’s 10 bourbon recipes to bottle each year.

WILLETT FAMILY ESTATE SINGLE BARREL BOURBON

proxy.php

We’ve already talked about Willett’s story in depth. Like a few other collectable bourbons out there — including Pappy Van Winkle — the juice inside these bottles isn’t actually made by Willett. Who makes the whiskey is part of the mystery surrounding the Family Estate label. As each of bottles in the Willett Family Estate line of bourbon is single barrel, the age and proof varies wildly. (We’ve come across 7-, 9-, 10-, 13-, 20- and 21-year bottles in the past, and there are surely plenty more.) While the Willett family may not produce the bourbon, they certainly know how to identify exceptional barrels, which is a skill unto itself. Almost anything under the label is good, and most of it’s great.

JEFFERSON’S PRESIDENTIAL SELECT 18 YEAR OLD

proxy.php

This wheated bourbon is one of the most controversial rare bottles among fans. Some love it. Others see it as a ****-poor attempt to ride the coattails of Pappy Van Winkle at least, and an outright sham at most. Like Willett (and again, Pappy Van Winkle), the Jefferson’s brand doesn’t actually make its own bourbon. This particular bottle gained notoriety because its contents were potentially sourced from the now-defunct Stitzel-Weller distillery, which is the same distillery that produced bourbon for the Van Winkle family for years. It’s unclear; the label simply says “aged in Stitzel-Weller Barrels”. If you’re paying attention, “aging in” isn’t exactly the same as “produced by”. To add to the sketchiness, the former brand manager and owner of the Jefferson’s Reserve name has stated that older batches of the 18-year were mixed with rye to top them off, violating the “distilled from wheat” phrase found on the label. Still, early batches of this bottle in particular received wide amounts of praise from the review community. Its background is a mystery, but the whiskey is still good.

ANGEL’S ENVY CASK STRENGTH

proxy.php

The Angel’s Envy brand is a relatively new startup of Wesley Henderson and his father, Lincoln Henderson. Lincoln Henderson was the former master distiller for Brown-Forman Corp who helped develop Woodford Reserve and is part of the Kentucky Distillers’ Association Hall of Fame. Lincoln soon joined his son in business and oversaw the early distilling efforts of Angel’s Envy until he passed away in late 2013. Since bourbon must be aged for a minimum of two years, early bottles of Angel’s Envy have been sourced from other distilleries. What makes Angel’s Envy relatively unique is that it’s finished in port casks before bottling. The company’s limited-edition Cask Strength offering, originally launched in 2012, raised a few eyebrows. It was limited to only 600 bottles and sold in three different states. Its content were hand selected by Lincoln Henderson and bottled at a bold cask-strength proof, but it still came from only four- to six-year-old stock (and no age statement is listed on the label). Respected spirits reviewer Paul Pacult still named it his number one spirit of the year. A larger number of bottles were released in both 2013 and 2014, though they were still quite limited.

A.H. HIRSCH RESERVE 16 YEAR OLD STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY

proxy.php

There are some who believe this is the best bourbon ever created. Whiskey expert Chuck Cowdery even wrote a book about it, aptly titled The Best Bourbon You’ll Never Taste, outlining the bottle’s tumultuous history. If you’re really curious about the details, consult Cowdrey — but the quick and dirty history is that this whiskey was produced in a distillery in Pennsylvania that shut down in the mid ‘70s. A set of 400 of the remaining whiskey barrels were acquired and moved to Cincinnati to be aged and bottled as A.H. Hirsch Bourbon. The stock was sold slowly over time, with the very last bottles hitting shelves in 2009 in boxed sets for $1,500 a pop. Despite what owners and sellers of Pappy Van Winkle 23 might say, A.H. Hirsch Reserve is one of the true white whales of bourbon.

OLD FORESTER BIRTHDAY BOURBON

proxy.php

Not every collector’s bourbon has to cost as much as a kidney. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon is a prime example. Now in its 13 annual limited release, the series was created to celebrate founder George Garvin’s birthday (September 2nd). Each year, a small batch of whiskey produced on the same day is singled out for inclusion in the series. The reason for its selection varies, making each year’s offering distinct from the next. As Master Distiller Chris Morris explained to Southern Living: “One selection came from a day when the distillery lost power because a squirrel shorted out the electrical system, and we lost our cooling power, and we had to drop the fermentation early.” Bottles usually sell for upwards of $55, which is well below other retail prices on this list. Somewhere between 9,000 and 10,000 are sold each year.

http://gearpatrol.com/2014/11/21/guide-to-rare-bourbons-not-named-pappy/

When a distiller fills a barrel with spirit, the have to pay excise tax on the amount of spirit in the barrel at that time. Each year of aging, a little alcohol (the angel's share) will evaporate through the wooden barrel. Thus, there will be less aged whiskey to sell than was put into the barrel originally. Furthermore, there is a cost to storing the barrels for many years, including insuring against fire.

The economics of aging spirits is costly for the distillery; very old vintage spirits will be rare for this reason. However, longer aging does not necessarily guarantee better quality. The master distiller has to sample barrels periodically during the aging process to determine when it has received optimal aging.

Of course, the master distiller samples barrels to identify those that might be suitable for single barrel releases.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just over 7yrs since this article was written and most of these Bourbons have gone from “somewhat rare” to impossible to find. The only one I see on a somewhat regular basis is the Four Roses LE SB. I know there was some OF Birthday around a couple of months ago but the clerk at my local Liquor store told me “it won’t hit the shelves, the owner takes whatever we get and gives it to friends. The bottles they do have are priced stupid high, Pappy 23 is $6,000.

Just over 7yrs since this article was written and most of these Bourbons have gone from “somewhat rare” to impossible to find. The only one I see on a somewhat regular basis is the Four Roses LE SB. I know there was some OF Birthday around a couple of months ago but the clerk at my local Liquor store told me “it won’t hit the shelves, the owner takes whatever we get and gives it to friends. The bottles they do have are priced stupid high, Pappy 23 is $6,000.
Just took a pic of my dwindling stock of good stuff - I’m down to fumes…
I’ll try to stretch it with Rittenhouse and WT101 though.
DE901A72-6F3B-410C-89ED-16724900216A.jpeg

Whiskey Advocate just issued their Top 20 Whiskeys of 2021. Of course, their list includes whiskeys from around the world, not just Bourbon. A Scotch Whisky took the top spot: Lagavulin 11 year old Offerman Edition: Guinness Cask Finish with a rating of 95 and a price of $80. At the No. 2 spot is: Maker’s Mark Wood Finishing Series 2021 Release: FAE-01 with a rating of 93 and a price of $60. An Irish Whiskey came in at No. 3. Jack Daniels 10 year Tennessee Whiskey came in at the No. 4 slot with a rating of 93 and a price of $70.

Since these are not standard production, I guess they would qualify as rare.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Whiskey Advocate just issued their Top 20 Whiskeys of 2021. Of course, their list includes whiskeys from around the world, not just Bourbon. A Scotch Whisky took the top spot: Lagavulin 11 year old Offerman Edition: Guinness Cask Finish with a rating of 95 and a price of $80. At the No. 2 spot is: Maker’s Mark Wood Finishing Series 2021 Release: FAE-01 with a rating of 93 and a price of $60. An Irish Whiskey came in at No. 3. Jack Daniels 10 year Tennessee Whiskey came in at the No. 4 slot with a rating of 93 and a price of $70.

Since these are not standard production, I guess they would qualify as rare.
I’ve been looking for the Offerman edition Lagavulin everywhere since it was released. No luck.

I have several bottles of the FAE-01. I tasted the first bottle I bought and ran out to get more.

I saw the JD 10 at a grocery store not long ago- I’m sure it will be perpetually out of stock now or cost 3 times MSRP. I think this will be a permanent or at least annual release.

Some of them are harder to find, but at least they’re out there. I think Whisky Advocate listened when everyone was complaining that the Whisk(e)ys they were reviewing were either allotted or so expensive most people couldn’t find or afford them.

Top Bottom