What's new

Ten Days with Bevel

Let me start off by admitting that I am not the target audience for this system. I am a 37 year-old Caucasian male that has no interest in using one product every day for the rest of my life. I have zero issues with razor bumps or irritation (for the most part) with the current large rotation of products that I own. I am not affiliated with Bevel or any of its investors or subsidiaries and I purchased the gift set (non-subscription) from Bevel as I really wanted to try the razor. While I am not a fan of Pure Badger brushes, pre-shave oil, shaving cream and after shave balm in general, I figured since I shelled out the cash I might as well test them out. I also decided that since there has been a few discussions at the various forums lately about the razor and Bevel system in general I would document my experiences. Today I will share with you my thoughts after a week and a half of constant use.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Bevel gift set is presented as a 30 day supply without subscription. The set includes: The Bevel razor, shaving brush, 20 stainless steel razor blades, 60mL shave cream and restoring balm, 30mL priming oil, instructions and a thank you note from Bevel's founder. The boxed set is very well designed and exudes class. From the thick textured cardboard outer box, to the formed plastic inserts nothing feels cheap.

proxy.php

Since the main purpose of purchasing this kit was to get the razor I thought I would share my opinion on this piece first. The design is very unique with the base plate curving upwards to cover the ends of the blade. The long thin handle has no knurling yet resists slipping even when gripped with wet hands. Although Bevel doesn't go into mentioning where this razor is made or what it is made of they do mention that it is "weighted with brass". The balance of the razor is head-heavy making me assume that the base plate is brass but I doubt the top cap is and am unsure that the handle weighs enough to be brass as well. Aesthetically, the Bevel is one of the most beautiful razors I have owned (and that is no small number in itself). In use the proper angle is easily found (and well explained in the insruction booklet), the shaving experience is very reminiscent of other modern high-quality razors that I enjoy such as Edwin Jagger and Giesen & Forsthoff, that is: very efficient yet mild in feel. The blades included in the kit seem to be of decent quality and have no harshness to them from the onset, easily stretched to five shaves with smooth and moderately sharp edges, however I feel that after three shaves they are past their prime. With 20 blades in this 30 day supply kit there is no need to try and stretch them even that far.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My favorite aspect of this hobby is shaving brushes, with over 100 in my current collection and another 150 plus that I have sold, I know what I like and have experienced everything from the Tweezerman to vintage Plisson High Mountain White. Bevel has included a shaving brush with their starter kit that is both beautiful and comfortable to hold. Upon the initial inspection the brush gave up dozens of loose hairs just by brushing against my dry hand. The knot measures 23mm at the base but then flares out with a prominent glue bump to 26mm. The loft is set at 50mm, but that same glue bump extends 15mm up the length of the hairs making the effective loft 35mm. I was honestly not expecting much from this brush, but I pressed on by putting it through my normal brush break-in routine. The brush lost several more hairs (I didn't even bother to count) throughout a shampooing and a couple test lathers. These hairs were very short and I'm assuming that most were breaking off at the glue bump because I can't imagine this many short hairs being used in the manufacturing process. While face lathering with this brush there is some moderate scritch and despite the short effective loft it does not feel stiff, in fact it is probably a good comparison to other high-end "pure badger" brushes in face feel. I was only able to tolerate the pure badger knot for two shaves before it was put aside for the remainder of the evaluation. Bevel does mention that they will replace any defective brushes, but I'm not even going to bother as I would rather install a nice 2-band knot in this handle so I have a brush that I would actually enjoy using.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The software included in the lot include priming oil (pre-shave), shave cream (lather) and restoring balm (ASB). All of these products are developed and made in the USA as indicated on each bottle (which leads me to believe that all the hardware is imported since it is missing this endorsement throughout Bevel's marketing and packaging) and all appear to use what I consider to be high quality ingredients. Although these products are marketed as unscented, each have their own mild scent which are easily traced back to the ingredients list (for instance the restoring balm has a nice mild menthol fragrance). I shaved for seven straight days using all three products exclusively and I have to admit the results were fantastic. For the final three days of the testing I omitted one product in the equation to see if the shaving experience and end result would be effected. The only product that I didn't notice much of a difference in the lack of it's use was the shave cream, however I substituted the Art of Shaving unscented cream in its place which is a pretty good performer in it's own right. On the day where I skipped the priming oil I didn't use any pre-shave and on the day where the restoring balm was left out I used a basic splash (Pinaud Lime Sec).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The priming oil goes on thick, but the five drops that I settled on as being ideal for my routine seemed to absorb quickly. I don't normally use pre-shave products (other than Noxzema for my pre-shave face wash) but will be doing some more controlled experiments with this and other options going forward as I did notice a different and seemingly better shaving experience when the oil was used.

The shave cream lathers very easily and provides ample protection and adequate slickness. The required amount of shave cream to complete three passes seemed about double, perhaps slightly more even than what I am used to needing with other brands with the majority of the 60mL bottle being used in those ten days, however Bevel recommends two passes at most in their directions with one pass being ideal for those suffering from razor bumps so perhaps this 60 mL could be stretched to last a whole month, but I can't imaging somebody getting 90 days of shaving with just another 40mL unless doing one pass every few days.

The restoring balm is the real star of the system. It also goes on a bit thick and leaves the skin semi-glossy for about an hour while it fully absorbs. At no time does my face feel tacky or oily, as is the case with most every other balm I have ever tried including raw unrefined shea butter (one of the prominent ingredients), instead the skin feels very supple and smooth. Once the balm is completely absorbed the skin has a polished feel to it and any missed stubble sticks out like a sore thumb. If this balm were available separately on the open market it would likely be a top seller and would replace Nivea Sensitive as the sole balm in my den.

Conclusions: The Bevel line of products, brush excluded, offer a very fine line of shaving products that even a well-experienced wet shaver can appreciate. I won't be subscribing to this system, nor can I comment on its claimed benefits to those suffering from razor bumps as I fortunately have never suffered from such. I will be keeping the razor and would recommend that those that appreciate an efficient razor on the mild side of the scale to pursue acquiring one themselves. The brush that I received is pure rubbish except for the handle, though if it weren't a shedder it would make an excellent alternative to those that enjoy a scrubby and scritchy exfoliating experience. The software is good, very good even, but I can't see paying $90 per shipment as there are likely products as good available and I prefer having a rotation of products anyway. However, Bevel has done a great job of putting together a system that gives a fantastic experience and undeniably great results and I wouldn't bother trying to talk somebody out of subscribing if they were looking to switch from electric or cartridge systems. Thanks for reading my efforts of an honest review and I'll be happy to answer any questions about MY experience to the best of my ability.

Thanks for posting this! I haven't bought anything from Bevel, and don't currently plan to. But their ads and website are what introduced me to DE shaving, and so I've just been very curious about how their actual products stack up. So it's neat just to see this review.

FWIW, I do have a history of razor bump problems, and two months into DE shaving I can vouch that Bevel's claim that DE is a good option for men with this problem is valid. After years of electrics, I'm finally wet shaving again and without razor bumps this time.

Interesting and VERY complete evaluation of the entire system.

I would be curious to know how you judge just the razor over time when used with your regular rotation and routine. If I understand correctly, Bevel is a somewhat re-designed or re-engineered DE razor (obviously with the goal being to address razor bumps etc.) so it would be interesting to see how well it can stand on its own without the rest of the "system". If the razor, which does look modern and nice, is one that people can use with a variety of blades, preps, soaps and routines, then maybe someday it will be sought after and sold as a stand alone.

If I understand correctly, Bevel is a somewhat re-designed or re-engineered DE razor (obviously with the goal being to address razor bumps etc.) so it would be interesting to see how well it can stand on its own without the rest of the "system". If the razor, which does look modern and nice, is one that people can use with a variety of blades, preps, soaps and routines, then maybe someday it will be sought after and sold as a stand alone.

One of our members (Saad - a.k.a., engrsks) wrote to Bevel asking about acquiring the razor as a stand-alone purchase. Bevel indicated they are experimenting with that option, so it might come to pass.

Regarding the razor's design, I acknowledge it is unique, and very attractive. However, I wonder in what way(s) the design specifically addresses the problem of bumps that other DEs don't. Walker makes the claim the razor is designed to reduce bumps, but doesn't specify in what ways. One of the big selling points of DEs in general is that a single blade reduces the likelihood of ingrowns in susceptible people, compared to multiblades. How has Walker improved on that, if at all? (Obviously I'm skeptical.)

As for the review, excellent job, blzrfn. I think it's too bad Walker doesn't sell the products individually. Bevel could be a valuable addition to the wealth of good products on the market, but I think the company limits itself, and does a disservice to discerning buyers, by insisting on all-or-nothing purchasing. That is compounded by the fact that only the whole gift set (including razor and brush) is sold without requiring a subscription. Anybody who just wants the software has to subscribe. (That doesn't even get into the misleading nature of his marketing claims, which are a whole other issue.)

My iPad (first one released) nearly died trying to load all those photos, but definitely worth it. As Lane said, great photos and reviews. Thanks!

TPL

A very nice, detailed review and superb photography. :thumbup1:.

Out of the whole kit, it is only the razor piece which I happen to admire so much. As my friend (Jerry-Built Hustler) already mentioned, I even wrote to these people in order to inquire if I can purchase the razor piece only. But once again, as (Jerry-Built Hustler) already mentioned, the marketing is quite flawed and is repelling traditional wet-shavers more than attracting them.

It is very well designed and a beautiful razor. If razors were cars, bevel would have been none other than Tesla Model S (one of my favorites). :001_smile

View attachment 596658

I would like to ask, if you were to substitute this razor with another one in order to get a same mild shave, which razor would you pick?

Thanks

The combination of smooth and efficient at this level is pretty limited. The Feather ASD2 is very similar in face feel, but not quite as efficient (although the build quality might be even better). The most similar razor that I have experienced would probably be a vintage Wilkinson Sticky, but it has been a while since I have used mine so the comparison may not be perfect. I am a big fan of the Edwin Jagger and Muhle "89" style heads and while they are just as efficient they are more apt to bite back if the proper technique is not dialed in. The Bevel really is a no-nonsense design when it comes to use, it will either deliver a smooth shave or not cut at all. The audible feedback, while not the loudest I have experienced, is definitely prominent enough to let you know when the angle is correct.

Great DE razor or not, the company isn't going to sell the razor alone because it wouldn't shave any better than a regular DE razor. They have to try to sell you the whole package to build up those profits.

The reason they have the other products and subscription is to make them lots of money from among the crowd that doesn't know any better.

Thought I'd revive this thread (rather than start a new one) to talk about the Bevel pure badger brush.
I got one in an exchange here a while back, and mine too shed like mad for a while.
I wound up brushing it against my palm a few times to see if I could get the shedding out of its system.
Well, the hair loss did stop, and it's turned out to be a pretty good brush.
It's not big on backbone but works well with soft soaps and creams.
I like a bit of scritch, which was why I chose it from the exchange array in the first place.

We already know the RFB will beat its butt. However, for those w/o the ability to find an RFB, this will be a likely be a suitable substitute. :a29:Nice stuff and great photography, BTW.

The Bevel razor is available as a stand-alone, no subscription product at Amazon and is also on the shelf at Target, about $40. I haven't been tempted to pick one up but it does get a lot of decent reviews.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Thought I'd revive this thread (rather than start a new one) to talk about the Bevel pure badger brush.
I got one in an exchange here a while back, and mine too shed like mad for a while.
I wound up brushing it against my palm a few times to see if I could get the shedding out of its system.
Well, the hair loss did stop, and it's turned out to be a pretty good brush.
It's not big on backbone but works well with soft soaps and creams.
I like a bit of scritch, which was why I chose it from the exchange array in the first place.
After a dozen or so shaves, mine is still shedding quite a bit.I have seven brushes, three boar two badger and rwo synths. None shed as much as this Bevel.

One of our members (Saad - a.k.a., engrsks) wrote to Bevel asking about acquiring the razor as a stand-alone purchase. Bevel indicated they are experimenting with that option, so it might come to pass...

It's made in China and the same razor sans the fancy logo sells for less than $10. However, I cannot remember the name of the maker at present. :confused:

Top Bottom