What's new

Noob w/ sensitive skin tormented by shaving needs product advice.

So I have never been very good at shaving, at least... never very good results. I use a Sensor XL (have tried Mach 3 in the past - yowch!... also a Braun electric... sucked at actually trimming hair and left me flakey)

Right now I use some Nivea for Men Sensitive Wash, Shaving Gel, and Balm.

But its just bad. the sides of my face aren't too bad, but its just a nightmare on my jaw. I try to shave careful every time but its just constant problems... never a "perfect" shave. I usually try to go a while without having to shave again because I hate it so much.

I'm so jealous of people I know who can take a 3 or 4 blade cartridge razor and just get perfect every time, and a 2 blade wreaks so much havok on me... my skins quite often red with razor bumps / sporadic pimples (can't always tell which is what.. and they are always in the same places by jaw)

So no matter what, I'm going to try the badger brush thing, but was wondering if anyone else had some advice.

Its just, after shaving my skin always feels kind of clammy... not "greasy" but not really dry either. It just ruins my day every day.

Does anyone have product advice for those with sensitive skin? I try to read all I can in terms of guides, but its just so overwhelming. You go to a shaving site and you are swamped with brands, options etc. I know there is an issue of finding what is "right for you" but aren't there any general rules of thumb?

I'd love some advice :frown:

Its just hard, cause there are so many products and so many that have ingredients that just irritate my skin, and I don't really know what to do about it :(

Also, Combination Skin type.. if that helps.

If there's anything thats on Amazon.com those products are somewhat preferred as I have Prime and can get them nearly immediately ... being in college with no car kind of makes transportation a pain sometimes.

Yes, I have read the videos and watched the movie. The thing is, like the Proraso stuff has menthol in it which I know from experience isn't something that agrees with me... and just about every product on the shelf says non-comodogenic and hypoallergenic.

:(

Are there any alternatives?

M

modern man

Mama Bear has 100% natural and unsented soap

Its just that Soap and her stuff is cheap, easy to use.

Right now I use some Nivea for Men Sensitive Wash, Shaving Gel, and Balm.

I just started using the Extra Sensitive Cleanser, I noticed an immediate difference, no redness and no itching for me. I'm staying away from any balms or moisturizers until my current reaction clears up. I'm using a concoction from BroJohn, 4 parts Witch hazel (pure, no scent) to 1 part 100% aloe gel. Mix it up well and use it as a psuedo balm/moisturizer. It is very soothing.

I'm a noob too, but it's been my experience to start slowly, don't expect a perfect shave at first with a DE and maybe start with 1 or 2 WTG passes for a couple weeks. Read this thread, it might clear things up why people here wet shave, and some advice on sensitive skin.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13150

Yeah, I just read that.

The Nivea Balm, its alright. Its nice on my cheecks, but incredibly greasy/oily on my chin and upper lip.

What do you think about this, it sounds like a good noobie set.
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=123&cat=143&page=1

As I have no brush, DE, or mug... and I'm guessing they would cost similar to that... although I'm not sure about the Futur vs the HD Classic.

I'm just eager to get something before I shave next :( at least a brush and mug.

Also, what supplies do you use for your makeshift balm? Any specific brands?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Futur is a more 'advanced' razor. Usually people recommend the Merkur HD or a Vintage Gillette superpeed razor (I think Merkur makes a knock off of the superspeed razor, but can't remember the model right now).

Also, a search from brushes would probably show that the overwhelming best deal for a daily use badger brush would be the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger brush for 35.00.

As for creams, I have used the Trumpers violet and I think it's what caused my recent reaction. Not 100% sure, but I believe BroJohn is correct. I bought some Saint Charles Shave Avocado and Shea Butter and it creates a very thick and slick lather.

I will look into those, and skip the Futur and go for something simpler (and cheaper).

Although, I worry about what shaving cream I use, like I said I'm generally very sensitive and worry about things like fragrances. Have you heard anything about KISSMYFACE ? I remember seeing that brand in a video and they seem to have a fragrance free, sensitive skin version but its "cheap" around $5 for a tube so I don't know - I always hear that about "cheap" things here :)

Hay jeff you and I are sort of similar in these matters. I started out for twenty-five years with electric, of which one of them was a Bruan. Never ever got a good shave out of them ever. From there went through all of the cartridge razors and never foudn them adequate. Don't be envious of peopel that can get an excellent shave out of a cartridge razor. Becuase chances are you are miss-preciving what is going on. Chances are theat they are not getting any better results from their cartridge shavers then you are from the electrics. Problem with the cartridge shavers is that they give you a very very poor shave for a highway roebry price tag. You see the whole philosiphy behind the cartridge razors is a load of horse dung. It's great for the producers, lock you in to proprietary cartridges that they can charge anythign they want for and give you seriously little in return. Now you know something that these epople with the cartridge razors don't. They are getting as poor a shave out of them as you are, but they seem to be able to cover up well.

Now here is the answer to all of your saving problems. Go and get yourself an entry level double edge shaver, a shaving mug, a cake of shaving soap and a boar or badger hair brush. And the most important thing I can say about using the double edge is AS LITTLE DOWNWARD PRESSURE AS POSSIBLE. In no time you will be spit polished and lookign great.

There are four basic types of double edge razors, IMHO:

Streight - this is the type that you should start off with they are easy to master and are not adjustable

Slant - significantly harder to work with

Aysmetrical - also quite hard to work with

Adjustable - Harder then the streight but not as hard as the Slant and Asymetrical.

I recommend that you get yourself one of the streight DEs.

to the OP:

What are you doing as a pre-shave?

in my case it is a hot shower with a scrub of L'Oreal Anti-Dryness Facial Cleanser for Men

I the get a "good" lather up with Proraso and leave it on for 2-3 mins before contemplating looking at the razor.

While Im waiting I'll strop my razor (Dovo 6/8 double hollow ground)

Before the shave I use a HOT wet towel to gently remove the initial lather (this was only to soften the beard and prep my skin)

I re-lather, then shave.

Your post shave can also help.

Mine:
rinse with warm water, alum block, cold rinse, moisturiser and then colonge (ouch... :ohmy: )

In my almost 20 years of shaving I have never experienced closer.

Jeffbax --

I only have Gillettes, probably because that's what I started with 40+ years ago and returned to them (due to familiarity) when I came back to the DE this last year. I don't maintain that they're 'best', just that they've been satisfactory for me.

Most new shavers are pointed to the Merkur line of razors, and the HD is typically the model of choice. I concur. Even though I don't have a Merkur, the collective experience here at B&B has been overwhelmingly positive, you can get a razor that is brand new, and the cost is modest. Recently, the prices of Gillettes has increased dramatically and I now view the Merkurs as a better deal.

There are a number of respected retailer of these in the 'shopping' forum. I recommend you read through each specialty forum (eg, 'soaps', 'creams', 'aftershaves', etc) to get a feel for what folks regard highly and purchase accordingly.

Good Luck!

-- John Gehman

Hay jeff you and I are sort of similar in these matters. I started out for twenty-five years with electric, of which one of them was a Bruan. Never ever got a good shave out of them ever. From there went through all of the cartridge razors and never foudn them adequate. Don't be envious of peopel that can get an excellent shave out of a cartridge razor. Becuase chances are you are miss-preciving what is going on. Chances are theat they are not getting any better results from their cartridge shavers then you are from the electrics. Problem with the cartridge shavers is that they give you a very very poor shave for a highway roebry price tag. You see the whole philosiphy behind the cartridge razors is a load of horse dung. It's great for the producers, lock you in to proprietary cartridges that they can charge anythign they want for and give you seriously little in return. Now you know something that these epople with the cartridge razors don't. They are getting as poor a shave out of them as you are, but they seem to be able to cover up well.
Well, I don't use electrics anymore, and in fact I used a Sensor longer but tried switching hoping the irritation would go down.

And by jealous of others, even my roommates. I can walk into the bathroom and see that one uses a Mach 3, one uses a Quatro. One foam from a can and one gel. Thats it, nothing else. No balms no nothing.

But even as gentle as I try to be with mine I can't seem to not be irritated. Its a nightmare. My skin gets all read and oily and theirs doesn't. :mad:

I just bought a whole bunch of goodies (Merkur HD, Proraso Wheat cream + after shave, some blades [for before I can get the variety pack from the guy here], a mug, brush, and stand.

It was a pretty penny, hope it was worth it :w00t:

If all else fails, and I don't like the DE I'll be out the proraso and some money trying to resell the Merkur... I reckon I need the brush, stand and mug anyway.

Hope it wasn't a mistake hehe.

Well, I don't use electrics anymore, and in fact I used a Sensor longer but tried switching hoping the irritation would go down.

And by jealous of others, even my roommates. I can walk into the bathroom and see that one uses a Mach 3, one uses a Quatro. One foam from a can and one gel. Thats it, nothing else. No balms no nothing.

But even as gentle as I try to be with mine I can't seem to not be irritated. Its a nightmare. My skin gets all read and oily and theirs doesn't. :mad:

I just bought a whole bunch of goodies (Merkur HD, Proraso Wheat cream + after shave, some blades [for before I can get the variety pack from the guy here], a mug, brush, and stand.

It was a pretty penny, hope it was worth it :w00t:

If all else fails, and I don't like the DE I'll be out the proraso and some money trying to resell the Merkur... I reckon I need the brush, stand and mug anyway.

Hope it wasn't a mistake hehe.

Welcome to B&B Jeff!

I don't believe that you have made a mistake-I just wish this info was available years ago and I would have done what you did: peruse the site, get a feel for what I needed, then take the plunge and hope for the best.

Think about it- you have tried the majority of the shaving methods out there with no improvement. Now after you get the hang of the 'badgerandblade' experience, you will find that your roommates are jealous of you!

Give yourself time to get the technique down and be patient-you will see results, but they may be up and down initially until your technique is stable. Stick with one blade, brush, razor,soap/and or cream until you can notice the changes in your technique on your face.

As you can see, we are here to help and would love to do so. BTW,
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!- you will be assimilated.

Marty

Heh, I just wish that I started over xmas and well before going back to school / valentines :crying: . I won't say I haven't been thinking about it for a while now :sleep:

Welcome, Jeff!

Sounds like you've started on the right path!

Adjustable razors are an excellent choice for people with sensitive skin, in my opinion. When you hear or read about the nightmare stories, they're usually about someone who was testing the higher settings... just because they can. However, if you start at the lowest setting, you have room to grow as your technique improves.

The fixed head razors work very well for the majority of people. And, I would say that they are razors that everyone can use. They are reasonably priced, and from that standpoint they are a good option for most new DE wetshavers.

Be sure to do a search on Michael... Username: Leisureguy His shave blog has a lot of great tips on shaving.

If you have a sensitivity to the Prorasso after shave, I would suggest straight Aloe Vera Gel. And, an alum block is a very good idea... as is a Styptic pencil.

Once you get the hang of wetshaving, you'll look forward to shaving, Jeff!

See you around the board!

chop-chop

What does an Alum block do? I see it recommended but have no idea what it does.

As for aloe, what makes "straight" ? Is there a difference between the kind you get in a squeeze pump for sunburns ? I think they usually have alcohol....

I will look into those, and skip the Futur and go for something simpler (and cheaper).

Although, I worry about what shaving cream I use, like I said I'm generally very sensitive and worry about things like fragrances. Have you heard anything about KISSMYFACE ? I remember seeing that brand in a video and they seem to have a fragrance free, sensitive skin version but its "cheap" around $5 for a tube so I don't know - I always hear that about "cheap" things here :)

I have used the Kissmyface cream and found it to work quite well if you are willing to put in the time to get it into a good lather. I like it better than my 15 dollar a tube Vulfix cream...

Both QED and Honeybee Spa offer unscented shaving soaps for sensitive skin. So does Emily of Em's Place. And Truefitt & Hill make an "Ultimate Comfort" hypoallergenic shaving cream---Classic Shaving, for one, carries it.

I had the same problem too - that Nivea Sensitive stuff leaves my skin feeling clamy. So I switched over to Aqua Velva Ice Balm, and it's great. It's still good for sensitive skin (being the balm vs the alcohol) and it leaves my skin smooth and dry (in the good sense of dry, still moisturized).

Top Bottom