What's new

Noob shaver, Karve review

I just used the Karve F plate for seven days in a row while on the road. Amazingly easy to use, reliably efficient, yet smooth without irritation or blood. I used a Feather blade, but I'm rather agnostic about blades (except Voskhod and Merkur, which just don't work for me). I'm increasingly impressed with the Karve, and the 3-inch handle is perhaps my favorite handle in the den.

Nice man, did you start with the F or did you work your way up to it?

Agreed on the handle, was slightly worried it was going to be too small but it’s right there.

proxy.php

Karve day 6: Took a couple days off to see how it'd handle it; plowed it down like a champ. I have a really thick sharp beard after a couple days, was wondering. No worries here, just mowed it.

This is not a fast razor for me yet.. I'll get faster with it and have, but I think this is always going to be one I have to take more time with, and that's ok. It's just not zippy fast like the SLOC, if I try that I'm going to get bit and I'm realizing that. Didn't happen today, I was awake, ready and paying attention.

Been unreasonably/unseasonably rainy and cold, felt right to break out the MM trifecta. Love this scent, love the performance. It's pretty much perfect.

Gillette 7OB, think those are a 2 and done, used a fresh one today and it was great. Going to have to find some more of those too.

10/10, nothing but greatness here...this is a damn good setup. I can't wait to compare this to the Timeless.

So that's a week straight with the Karve. I can safely recommend this to pretty much anyone...considering I'm still a noob, the fact that I can get a 2 pass BBS consistently with this razor/plate leads me to believe more experienced shavers would love this thing.

Only thing I'd suggest to guys considering it: if you're using something more aggressive I might go up a plate or two. The C plate is aggressive enough for me at this stage, but I could see going up to D at least the more familiar I get with it.

As it is, this is pretty much a 6 hour BBS on the C, for me. YMMV, IMHO and all that.

Thanks for reading, hope it helps anyone.

Seems to be pretty neutral to me. Right in the middle for my face, I get this gnarly loud feedback that lets me know I’m doing it right and as long as I stay right there it just slays my beard. This is the closest, longest lasting shave I’ve ever had.

I’ll go back to the Piccolo after I’m over the Karve fascination, I’m sure. I DO shave every day and find that it feels a little aggressive for that; I’ve gotten some slight irritation using it daily. I haven’t tried newer Gillettes in there which I’m a big fan of lately.

Agreed on the SLOC feeling less efficient than I prefer, however that’s one of the reasons I feel so comfortable using it if I’m in a hurry. I should try a newer Gillette in there as well, safety plus efficiency would be fantastic for that.

After around 24 hours with the Karve I’m at about a 5-6/10 on a smoothness scale and that’s about 8 hours after a SLOC shave. I do really like that razor and it being less than efficient means I for sure get to shave again the next day though lol
I only shave every other day, so I've had no problems with my Piccolo, even with my usual Feather. But if you're looking for a super smooth blade, consider trying a Polsilver in it. I've found it killer smooth in my Piccolo.

Today I used a Bic super chrome w/ a C plate. This is my first time using this blade in any razor. My first impression was, I’m going to buy a 100. Very nice shave. Very smooth. It felt similar to an astra sp on my face, but sharper. I used cella crema da barba for my soap. This blade seemed to work very well for me in the C plate

Today I used a Bic super chrome w/ a C plate. This is my first time using this blade in any razor. My first impression was, I’m going to buy a 100. Very nice shave. Very smooth. It felt similar to an astra sp on my face, but sharper. I used cella crema da barba for my soap. This blade seemed to work very well for me in the C plate

Nice man....C plate is an awesome daily driver. I'm almost sad I'm not done reviewing the Timeless .68, I'm itching to get back to the Karve.

I know this question wasn't for me but my experience is the C plate couldn't give me a BBS so I got the D plate and it's slightly higher on the aggression but even higher on the efficiency.

I would have sold my Karve if C was the highest but the D is absolutely perfect for me! Shaves like butter, and leaves the face like dolphin skin!!
Any idea how the Karve plates compare to the Above the Tie plates? I started a thread with this a week ago but no takers yet. I am thinking about a Karve but want to order the right plates for me. Thanks!

Any idea how the Karve plates compare to the Above the Tie plates? I started a thread with this a week ago but no takers yet. I am thinking about a Karve but want to order the right plates for me. Thanks!

I haven't used an ATT razor in over 6 years ago I'm not sure how accurate my memory will be but look at it this way, I sold the ATT as I didn't get on with it too well.
The Karve on the other hand is going to be with me for life (along with the Rockwell 6S).

The buttery smoothness of the Karve, even on D plate, is phenomenal.

You could start with C or D plate and see how you go. The BST seems to always have plates available so you can try other plates if you need to.

I haven't used an ATT razor in over 6 years ago I'm not sure how accurate my memory will be but look at it this way, I sold the ATT as I didn't get on with it too well.
The Karve on the other hand is going to be with me for life (along with the Rockwell 6S).

The buttery smoothness of the Karve, even on D plate, is phenomenal.

You could start with C or D plate and see how you go. The BST seems to always have plates available so you can try other plates if you need to.
Thanks - sounds like I should go for the D plate for starters.

Reactions: nav

Found your thread. I plan to shave with my R2 plate and reply tomorrow. Karve OC-C and D are among my regular choices. OC-C is loaded right now.

Thanks - sounds like I should go for the D plate for starters.

I don’t think my beard is anything too far from average. My skin is definitely not sensitive. If I shaved every day with my brass Karve it would be OC-C, with an occasional dip down to B if I was feeling some irritation and an occasional step up to D to get really close on the neck whorls.

As it is, my OC-D gets more action. I usually rotate to my Karve to get a really close shave.

If it helps, my GameChanger .84 OC plates are closer in feel to the Karve OC-C than to the OC-D.

Shaved one day’s growth with my ATT R2 plate just now. A very good and fairly quick shave, DFS+ with a Feather (taken directly out of my Karve OC-C) on its 5th use.

The comparison surprised me. I had not used the R2 since OCtober. I would place the R2 in the middle of the range between the OC-B and OC-C. I expected a more aggressive feel. It was a more comfortable shave than I expected, yet quite efficient. I don’t think I have used the R2 with a Feather before. I was using one of my favorite soaps, but I was trying to keep the shave very normal.

Top Bottom