What's new

Noob Razor Enigma

This morning was my sixth or seventh DE shave. Until now, I've used my DE89l (favorite razor so far) and my two SS sivertips. This morning, broke out my red and blue tips, loaded each with a brand new Derby, and shaved the left side of my face with the blue tip and the right side with the red. I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the results.

Did three passes on each side -- first WTG, then ATG, the CTG. After the three passes, did some touching up on both sides. Probably spent more time touching up with the blue tip on the left side than with the red tip on the right. But what was really weird was that both sides came out equally smooth. Even more odd, there was significantly more razor burn on the blue tip side of my neck than on the red. What is going on here? Does anyone know?

Could it be that you added more pressure on the blue tip side to compensate for its "mildness"? Did you do your touch ups without adding lather? Maybe your angle was better on one side vs the other? Could be a host of things.

Depends on how well coordinated you are with each hand as well. That would have an effect on the outcome.

Thanks. Will try again today, reversing sides, and be careful to notice if I apply pressure with the blue tip to make up for its mildness. I'm careful to make sure I use lather for all touchups; otherwise, my face gets roughed up bad.

If I were you and I was on my sixth or seventh DE shave, I'd stow one of those razors and stick with the same one and the same type of blade for the next couple of weeks. That will help you to get the basics of good shaving down. Once you are confident that you can get a good shave with the gear you are using, start experimenting. if you change blades, use two razors, etc., you are going to have a hard time finding out what works for you and why. Just a suggestion.

I agree with Nid Hog. I'm 4 months new to DE shaving and just now getting comfortable and consistent with my technique. Now I'm going back thorough all the blades I though I had formed an opinion on earlier to see how they perform now. The results have been interesting with most bladed performing better than they did the first time.
It's fun to experiment but don't be too eager to draw conclusions yet.

Agreed. Too early to tell and too many variables in play: technique, coordination, razor, etc.

For us, it's good to read about the results. For you, though, might be better to perfect technique first.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I hear ya. Today, I reversed sides of my face and, though subtle, what I think I'm experiencing is that the red tip works better than the blue. I can get a close shave with either but the blue requires more passes or a bit of pressure and that results in more irritation to my face. With the red, it cuts close without any pressure.

Will not draw firm conclusions. Once I get my technique down, I'll revisit.

Top Bottom