What's new

Noob here and a safety razor question.

I recently got into DE shaving and don't laugh, a $6 Morris Flamingo closed comb butterfly razor that included 2 Lanfei blades. I am working on my technique and I am really getting closer and amazing shaves. The question I have is I have been looking at Gillette Super Speeds on ebay because so many members here recommend them and also some affordable ones through Maggards. Should I stick with what I have or continue to scour Ebay for a Super Speed (which I don't know what is a good year or particular one I should be looking at) or maybe a Jager at Maggards?

Thank you. All of you guys have been a wealth of information.
Brian

I recently got into DE shaving and don't laugh, a $6 Morris Flamingo closed comb butterfly razor that included 2 Lanfei blades. I am working on my technique and I am really getting closer and amazing shaves. The question I have is I have been looking at Gillette Super Speeds on ebay because so many members here recommend them and also some affordable ones through Maggards. Should I stick with what I have or continue to scour Ebay for a Super Speed (which I don't know what is a good year or particular one I should be looking at) or maybe a Jager at Maggards?

Brian
Hey, Brian 👋

If you're looking for Super Speeds (I have a few), I'd recommend Etsy in addition to eBay. I've had good luck there.
I shaved with a 1953 Super Speed this morning and it's just such a great shave: smooth and yet efficient enough to deliver a good shave. Prices seem to have gone up on vintage Gillettes since I bought mine a year or so ago but you shouldn't have to spend a fortune to get a really excellent razor.

I prefer the 1950's ones, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Make sure the guard bar is straight, it tends to get bent up or down when the razor gets dropped onto a tile floor, and after 70 years it's quite likely it's been dropped at least once. Easy to fix, but you will get bad shaves if it's not right.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If what you already have works for you then stick with it is my advice. You could be one of the few people who comes to B&B and actually saves money 🤣 I have bought far too much and spent too much money, but I have had a lot of fun so it has been money well spent.

A Superspeed is a great razor, you can pick them up cheap enough on the bay. Even better, stick around and make a few more posts, then you can safely buy one on the BST from a respected B&B member 👍

Lots of Superspeeds were sold in the 20th century, so there are many available at reasonable prices on Ebay and Etsy. Pick any one that meets your requirement for condition and budget. You should get great shaves with any version.

You may also want to consider a Gillette Tech which are also fine vintage razors. Like the Superspeed, many Techs were manufactured and sold, making them very easy to find at reasonable prices on Ebay and Etsy. A nice Tech can easily be had for $20-25, or less if you are lucky. I've found fat-handle versions at local antique shops for 10 bucks.

Good luck, and welcome to the show. 🙂👍

I concur, that looks like a Wieshi razor. They sell these to many companies with different brand names. They are decent razors and after all these years, I still use mine in my travel kit. I'd recommend you stick with it for a while and learn the technique before branching out. Maybe get some razor blade sample packs to test out what works best for you. Just remember that a blade that someone else thinks is a turkey could be a gem for you. We all are different and blades react to our whiskers differently. And welcome to the rabbit hole.

I concur, that looks like a Wieshi razor. They sell these to many companies with different brand names. They are decent razors and after all these years, I still use mine in my travel kit. I'd recommend you stick with it for a while and learn the technique before branching out. Maybe get some razor blade sample packs to test out what works best for you. Just remember that a blade that someone else thinks is a turkey could be a gem for you. We all are different and blades react to our whiskers differently. And welcome to the rabbit hole.
Just got a sample pack from Maggards and one from Colorado Shaver.

Brian
Welcome to B&B!

Agree that superspeeds are a great option. Note that the Weishi 9306 is a Superspeed clone that is also an option if you want a current production model for around $12-$15 U.S. I use a 9306 long handle version as my go-to razor with great results. Moderate aggressiveness. Easy to get on Amazon.

Top Bottom