What's new

Noob goin to Pasteur Pharmacy

Cool - that place is a little overwhelming isn't it? I love it.
It's across town from my job but I hoof over there sometimes if I need a fix.

There's two Pasteurs - one is up by Hunter. Both are amazing. I think - even though some things cost a bit more (some not) that supporting places like that is a good thing.
It feels good to go into a store - talk to a person or two, walk out with stuff in my pocket or a bag, and be able to try the new stuff out that night.

Cool - that place is a little overwhelming isn't it?

It definitely was overwhelming. I was like where do I start. I wrote a list of the stuff I would like so I started with that :001_smile The branched out and looked at the other stuff. I wanted to buy every lavender smelling thing in there, but that would have been a little crazy.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Price-wise... you are likely to do better online... even with the shipping. It's nice to be able to see the stuff, all in one place but it's probably more economical to build a nice-size order and get free-shipping with one of the B&B vendors.

Remember.... everything that you can find at Pasteur's, you CAN find elsewhere.... but....

You cannot find as good a corned-beef sandwich as you can find at 2nd Street Deli... a few blocks away.

Perspective.....

:yesnod:

As I write, there's some poor slob out-of-towner wandering around on 2nd Street, looking for The 2nd Ave Deli. :lol: They're not as good as their old store, which had the added air of NYC authenticity that comes with having your owner murdered.

I rate them number four for corned beef sandwiches.

I started several threads over the years about Pasteur's prices being all over the map, but they seem to have gotten much better. Even when you include the tax, it's nice to be able to walk out the door with a tub of Taylor for $15, an Irisch Moos stick for $13, Musgo or Proraso cream for $11, etc. They're not out of line at all. I agree that when you know exactly what you want, you can pinch a few pennies with a strategically placed online order, but for the kid-in-a-candy-shop vibe, Pasteur's is great.

As I write, there's some poor slob out-of-towner wandering around on 2nd Street, looking for The 2nd Ave Deli. :lol: They're not as good as their old store, which had the added air of NYC authenticity that comes with having your owner murdered.

I rate them number four for corned beef sandwiches.

I started several threads over the years about Pasteur's prices being all over the map, but they seem to have gotten much better. Even when you include the tax, it's nice to be able to walk out the door with a tub of Taylor for $15, an Irisch Moos stick for $13, Musgo or Proraso cream for $11, etc. They're not out of line at all. I agree that when you know exactly what you want, you can pinch a few pennies with a strategically placed online order, but for the kid-in-a-candy-shop vibe, Pasteur's is great.

Not to mention that, when I went last year, I found a bowl of Trumpers rose and coconut with the old TALLOW formulation!!!!

Went to the upper east side location today...ahhhh so much fun.

As far as prices, when I compare to WCS on two of the items that I bought, Pasteur was cheaper looking at the base prices alone (no tax/shipping).

Tabac w/jar - 19.99 ($20 at WCS)
Alt-Innsbruck - 28.99 ($33 at WCS)
Arko Stick - 2.79 (not sold at WCS, another etailer has it for $2)
Simpson Duke 2 Pure - 67.59 (not sold at WCS, can't find it in pure at any of my normal etailers to compare)

Plus I got some fancy face cream for my girlfriend.

So yeah, not to shabby.

Obligatory photo: :)

proxy.php

As far as prices, when I compare to WCS on two of the items that I bought, Pasteur was cheaper looking at the base prices alone (no tax/shipping).

And I feel that you can either pay the tax or the shipping and it will probably be close enough. Plus you help keep a store with the right attitude in business and hopefully make a few more converts.

Hey Jack is the chinese food from that place any good:lol:

Hey Jack is the chinese food from that place any good:lol:
If you want to try talking a Mexican restaurant into making you Chinese, have at it. :laugh: It's what I would call "authentic style" hole in the wall Mexican food, good stuff. Cinco de Mayo on Cortelyou - they deliver. :thumbup1:

Good morning,
I am planning to hit Pasteurs next week after attending a conference. Can anyone give a general breakdown of what they carry? Do they have the overseas stuff, or is it mostly US? Is it higher end or all over the spectrum? Just curious what to expect. Thanks,

RZ,

I haven't personally been there, but there are threads here with pictures. It's all over the spectrum. From the looks of it, if it's been discussed here on the board, there's an awfully good chance they will carry it. (One certain exception: Martin de Candre soap)

bkfist is correct. It's all over the place in every way imaginable.

You can spend $10 on two or three small things like blades and Arko or Palmolive sticks, or shoot the wad on high end stuff from all over the world.

If the latter, make sure you've bought a shave mug to use for begging on the street when you're done!

Pasteur's has a good selection of blades, brushes, creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc. Most are from overseas. It's definitely fun to stop in and the pricing is fair, if not always rock bottom.

Well the descriptions were all correct: they have a ton of product, their blade selection is amazing, they have a ton of DE and Straights available to view and hold, as well as brushes, and the store is incredibly narrow.

That being said, I had a great time looking at and smelling all the stuff. I talked to the proprietor/manager, but I can;t remember his name (maybe Steve? - is he on B&B by the way?). I ended up purchasing a puck of Provence Sante, as well as their AS; C&F Lavendar soap, C&F lavendar AS, a stick of Arko cause I felt like I needed to try it, a pack of 7am blades, a package of kai blades and a package of feathers. Highly recommended to all if you are in NY.

BTW, I tried the C&F soap and AS today. The soap was probably the best lather I have ever had, and while I didn't initially like the scent of the AS, it grew on my and my wife seemed to like it this morning!

Top Bottom