What's new

Noob goin to Pasteur Pharmacy

Hey guys,
I know Pasteurs has been talked about a bunch but figured I would thread it anyway. :001_smile Just started DE shavin a week ago. Im only two shaves in and have used the same products each time. I will continue to use the same stuff until my technique is good enough where I can try to find the perfect combo for me.
However, tomorrow I have a job interview in NYC. Since Penn Station is a hop skip and a jump away from Pasteurs Pharmacy I'm gonna check it out. I can't pass it up, since I have heard so many good things.

I'm not gonna go overboard but since I am there I would like to pick up a few things, as well as ogle and sniff just about everything in the place.:biggrin1:

This is what I was planning on getting:
Israeli Red Personas (I only have blades made by LORD)
Feather's(for when I get there)
Tabac Soap - Very well respected on this forum
Pre De Provence Soap- I like the idea of the shea butter

I'm gonna check out the brushes too but probably wont get one, Im good with the Shea Moisture bursh I got from target for now until I can do more research.
If you were a noob again and could do it over, What would you get?

My setup now so you don't have to suggest something I have :biggrin1::
EJ DE89L
CO Bigelow Cream
KMF Lavender
Egyptian Blade Sample Pack by LORD
Thayers Witch Hazel

Oh and I dont do alcohol AS. I know im very specific. Thanks for all the help gents.

EDIT: Oh and wish me luck on the interview haha. You can see where my priorities are!!

Last edited:
Good luck on the job interview. What time are you going, I can meet you there but not to around 5ish. I work on the Upper East Side.

They have Pre De Provence at the downtown Pasteur's? Do they have any other french veggie soaps?

I've only been to the upper east side store. It has a nice selection, but no french soaps :thumbdown

If they have Simpsons brushes, get a Special or Berkeley. They are cheap enough not to break the bank and you can sell them for what you paid if you decide you don't like them.

Good luck on the job interview. What time are you going, I can meet you there but not to around 5ish. I work on the Upper East Side.

Thanks Richard. My interview is a 9, so I will be leavin the city pretty early. I appreciate the offer

They have Pre De Provence at the downtown Pasteur's? Do they have any other french veggie soaps?

Gull, Sorry I don't really know what they have there, just know the selection is good. Just tossin stuff out that I heard was good, and if they had it I was gonna get some. Sorry didn't mean to get anyones hopes up :001_smile

If they have Simpsons brushes, get a Special or Berkeley. They are cheap enough not to break the bank and you can sell them for what you paid if you decide you don't like them.
Hey good tip thanks, I'll check em out.

Last edited:

I've only been to the upper east side store. It has a nice selection, but no french soaps :thumbdown

I have seen a can of Pre De Provence shaving creme or maybe it was a soap. Not sure. Give them a call on the 34th street store. They will go and check for you...

Well heres a picture of the Haul. Got out of there for about 60 bucks. Got a few higher end items and some cheaper shave sticks. Pretty much everything I got has gotten rave reviews from alot of people here. If not rave then good product for the price reviews. Og and I got a pack of red personnas not pictured. I took one sniff of Tabac and it was love at first smell. Smells like it walked out of a barbershop. They must put stale coffee in it or something.

And yes they have Pre de Provence soap there. It was at about eye level if ur headed there. When I checked the sample box it had nothin but moisturizer in there, who needs that :001_smile
It was a very fun experience, will go back at some point.
Seemed kinda silly to get it all since im not gonna be using it for awhile, but i figured it could either sit on the shelf in the store or in my bathroom. I chose the bathroom.

Quick question for when I use it. How does one go about storing the shave sticks after you use em? and could you grate them into a dish to use as a shaving soap if u wanted?

Thanks guys

They didnt have any of the lower end simpson brushes there. The cheapest one was 100 bucks. Im not quite up to that yet. I find it amazing that in a drug store they have 100 items just chillin on the shelves like that. They were pretty high up but still.

Oh, I was gonna get some Cella too, but I didnt really like the smell all that much so I skipped it. And you gotta get pretty low if you want those shave sticks, they hide em on the bottom shelf and stick all of they put all the expensive stuff at eye level. Cant blame em, i would do that too.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Quick question for when I use it. How does one go about storing the shave sticks after you use em? and could you grate them into a dish to use as a shaving soap if u wanted?

Thanks guys

I put Speick back in its box, and put the foil back on the Arko (to trap in all that Arko greatness). I am against grating sticks personally- the stick form factor is just so easy to use. You could grate them down, I just choose not too.

Those isles are not even really wide enough to turn around in. Can't imagine a group of guys in there all clustered around the shaving goods.

Price-wise... you are likely to do better online... even with the shipping. It's nice to be able to see the stuff, all in one place but it's probably more economical to build a nice-size order and get free-shipping with one of the B&B vendors.

Remember.... everything that you can find at Pasteur's, you CAN find elsewhere.... but....

You cannot find as good a corned-beef sandwich as you can find at 2nd Street Deli... a few blocks away.

Perspective.....

:yesnod:

Those isles are not even really wide enough to turn around in. Can't imagine a group of guys in there all clustered around the shaving goods.

Thats def true. I almost knocked over a shelf rotating with my umbrella in hand.

Price-wise... you are likely to do better online... even with the shipping. It's nice to be able to see the stuff, all in one place but it's probably more economical to build a nice-size order and get free-shipping with one of the B&B vendors.
I think i did ok. the online prices were comparable, at least from what i saw

I work on 37th and 5th so Pasteur's is very close for me.

What I like about the place is that someone there has put some real thought into what they stock. He must be a wet shaver to understand all that we all love.

You can see it and buy it online which I have done but to go and see it in person is special.

Glad you could make it there so early in your shaving career.

Cheers!!:thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

That may be true, but there is something to be said about laying your hands on it first. I paid $8.95 locally for a Speick stick. Yes, that is $3 more than online. But I got to get it right now, and managed to do 3 shaves with it by the time I would have received it via mail. In this case, it was worth it to me. That being said, now that I know I like Speick, I will order the AS online.

Great haul! I am going to the other location tomorrow for some goodies. I'm gonna look at the smaller Simpson brushes and maybe pick up some other stuff "while I'm there." :001_tt1:

Price-wise... you are likely to do better online... even with the shipping.
No, not really. Most of their shave products are more or less in line with a typical online vendor price. If you're buying a ton of stuff you might save a few bucks online, but personally I'm happy to pay the extra $5 or whatever on a $100 purchase to keep a small local business like that happy to keep such an awesome selection of products on the shelves. If you are buying one thing it's going to be cheaper at pasteur's, for the most part. They even have a bigger selection of shave creams/soaps/aftershave/etc (software) than many if not most of the online giants. Then add in how much money you save not buying things sight unseen that you wind up not liking the smell of, and Pasteur's comes out as a real bargain. :thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You cannot find as good a corned-beef sandwich as you can find at 2nd Street Deli... a few blocks away.

Cleveland has some great delis. And don't forget pizza- I couldn't swing a cat (I do not recommend doing this:001_smile) without hitting a good pizza joint. I really miss the ethnic food diversity that is present in most Northeastern cities. I do not, however, miss the snow.

I'm a bit curious to know what you paid for the Arko and Palmolive. I paid $6, I think, for a Speick stick last summer in a brick and mortar in CT (can't say the name of this closed, banned shop). It is hard to find these sticks for the prices you can pay in Europe, though Arko can be bought in bulk for near $1 a stick online. You should expect to pay a little more in a store where it is available now.

I'm a bit curious to know what you paid for the Arko and Palmolive. I paid $6, I think, for a Speick stick last summer in a brick and mortar in CT (can't say the name of this closed, banned shop). It is hard to find these sticks for the prices you can pay in Europe, though Arko can be bought in bulk for near $1 a stick online. You should expect to pay a little more in a store where it is available now.

The arko and palmolive were 2.79 and 2.99 respectively.

Then add in how much money you save not buying things sight unseen that you wind up not liking the smell of, and Pasteur's comes out as a real bargain. :thumbup1:

I must have smelled at least 3 dozen soaps and creams. By the end I really couldnt tell em apart. Next time im gonna bring some coffee beans to neutralize my nose between scents. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom