What's new

Non-Stick Stainless Steel

Gents

I’ve recently discovered a method for making any stainless steel pan non-stick and have totally ditched Teflon. Teflon cookware never sat well with me. It flakes, it doesn’t last long and god only knows what those chemicals are doing to you.

The method is simple.

1. Take your clean stainless steel pan and put in some high smoke point oil (canola works great).
2. Heat the pan on a medium heat until you reach the smoke point of the oil. The oil will just start to smoke. A few small wifts of smoke.
3. Turn off the heat and let the pan cool to room temperature with the oil inside.
4. Wipe out excess with a paper towel. Done!

Now let the pan heat up before cooking. The pan should be hot enough that if you splash water into it, the water beads up and rolls around as little beads on the surface. You’re good to cook. Use oil or butter. Butter actually works really well as a high smoke point cooking oil. Your eggs, pancakes, fish and steak will side around like air hockey pucks.

Give it a try.

Don’t use water to clean. Just wipe it out with paper towel when warm. To remove stubborn bits, boil some water in the pan to deglaze it. Dump the water and add salt. Rub off any stobburn bits with a paper towel and salt. Rinse and dry.

This is seriously better than any nonstick pan. The coating lasts a long time and can be easily reapplied. Like wet shaving this is kind of a lost art. Fry your eggs grandpa did.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have a lot of All-Clad and have tried 'seasoning' it. Saw zero benefit. With temp control and the right oils, they are non-stick. Just don't let them get too hot and a little hot water cleans them out just fine.

I'm with kelbro on this one, but if your method works, Tomo, you'll get no argument from me.

I also think heat control and the right oils make stainless as non-stick as you need.

Just letting the stainless pan heat up until it's really good and hot, then adding the oil or butter, is another way to cook without sticking. But I look forwaed to trying this system too. Sounds interesting.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I thought the subject matter was different. I have 5 8 inch frying pans. 2 of these are non-stick. I use the one from weight watchers often. It’s my favorite. The other no stick says ‘Oxo’. The other 3 are not no stick. I got all these pans from the trash. Rich people threw them away.

Ditched nonstick years ago. I only use now castiron, stainless and carbon steel. You can also do it in your oven

This how I made my DeBuyer carbone a little non stick.
FB_IMG_1576961629862.jpg

Gents

I’ve recently discovered a method for making any stainless steel pan non-stick and have totally ditched Teflon. Teflon cookware never sat well with me. It flakes, it doesn’t last long and god only knows what those chemicals are doing to you.

The method is simple.

1. Take your clean stainless steel pan and put in some high smoke point oil (canola works great).
2. Heat the pan on a medium heat until you reach the smoke point of the oil. The oil will just start to smoke. A few small wifts of smoke.
3. Turn off the heat and let the pan cool to room temperature with the oil inside.
4. Wipe out excess with a paper towel. Done!

Now let the pan heat up before cooking. The pan should be hot enough that if you splash water into it, the water beads up and rolls around as little beads on the surface. You’re good to cook. Use oil or butter. Butter actually works really well as a high smoke point cooking oil. Your eggs, pancakes, fish and steak will side around like air hockey pucks.

Give it a try.

Don’t use water to clean. Just wipe it out with paper towel when warm. To remove stubborn bits, boil some water in the pan to deglaze it. Dump the water and add salt. Rub off any stobburn bits with a paper towel and salt. Rinse and dry.

This is seriously better than any nonstick pan. The coating lasts a long time and can be easily reapplied. Like wet shaving this is kind of a lost art. Fry your eggs grandpa did.

You'd really like having a carbon steel skillet, in my opinion.

One thing though, butter is definitely not a good high smoke point cooking oil. It probably has the lowest smoke point of any fat because of all the milk solids that burn at a lower temperature than a pure oil. If yours isn't burning, it's because you don't have the pan over 300°F.

I remember watching a YT vid of someone refinishing their new lodges with a rotary or DA. Looked great, but a bit of work.

ive been using a ~10” debuyer carbon for the past week, doing a daily seasoning and its been awesome.

Top Bottom