What's new

Fathead pizza crust

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Who knew? I had read about this back when I tried Keto but never whipped one up. Wife's numbers came back a little high and she want's to start low-carbing it so I tried this method.

It's really not bad. Not too hard to make. Got fairly thin and crisp.

We will probably do it again.

• 1½ cups (6 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
• 2 T cream cheese
• ¾ cup (3 oz.) almond flour
• 1 tsp white wine vinegar
• 1 egg
• ½ tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Heat mozzarella and cream cheese in a non-stick pan on medium heat or in a bowl in the microwave oven. Stir until they melt together. Add the other ingredients and mix well. Tip: use a hand mixer with dough hooks.
3. Moisten your hands with olive oil and flatten the dough on parchment paper, making a circle about 8" (20 cm) in diameter. You can also use a rolling pin to flatten the dough between two sheets of parchment paper.
4. Remove the top parchment sheet (if used). ***** the crust with a fork (all over) and bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven.

The recipe I've used eliminates the vinegar and salt, but adds garlic salt, and specifies 425°F. Obviously a variation from the same source, and some ovens will vary.
Even when I dock or poke the crust, I check about half way through to pop any bubbles that might be forming.
The crust can be eaten on its own, with a simple sauce, or with regular toppings.
Somewhat addicting. 🙂

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The recipe I've used eliminates the vinegar and salt, but adds garlic salt, and specifies 425°F. Obviously a variation from the same source, and some ovens will vary.
Even when I dock or poke the crust, I check about half way through to pop any bubbles that might be forming.
The crust can be eaten on its own, with a simple sauce, or with regular toppings.
Somewhat addicting. 🙂
Yes, I do believe that I could eat just the crust!

Another option, if you use a low carb diet, is to make Panier or Halumi. They are really easy cheeses to make and can be used right away. They can be grilled and used as bread for pizza or hamburgers. However, Kelbro's recipe is what my wife uses, or at least very close, and it is a good substitute as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I use a recipe that is based on coconut flour, eggs, and cheese.

Quite good, and certainly easy to make. For the cheese, please use real Parmigiano-Reggiano rather than "parmesan". (Or use Grana Padano as an acceptable substitute.)

Top Bottom