What's new

Non MS Computer Operating Systems.

I have Win XP home on both mine and my wife's laptops. I used to have a Linux box as the home gateway and fileserver until I needed to donate it to a friend.

All in all, I'm a Linux user held hostage in a MS world.:frown:

Running Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on both my laptop and desktop machines. I've been vastly impressed with it, particularly with hardware support vis-a-vis my laptop - this is the first distribution of Linux yet to properly detect my widescreen display and integrated Intel wireless card. Also, as jduffy mentioned, the Ubuntu user community cannot be beat - there is a tutorial for just about anything one might want to do.

XP at work desktop, home desktop, and home laptop.
Had a Mac Mini but sold it because I just didn't use it much due to not having the proper software for it. Great little computer.
Our development server is Debian box.
Our hosted production server is some sort of Linux (haven't had the need to find out what, but I'm sure my partners know.)

I'd prefer to be Unix only, but until the software catches up, I'm a slave to Windows. I'd think about a dual boot Mac, though...

I have XP Pro and UBUNTU on my Desktop, XP Pro on my Work Desktop and XP Home on my Laptop.

I do like the look of the Mac's however I personally hate using Mac OSX...ya ya ya its easier:001_rolle or so they say but for me its just doesnt do it.

Ubuntu was really easy to learn an dthey have a great community to fall back on if you ever get stuck. You can order a cd for free from them and they'll ship you a live cd and a full install CD.

For those of you who are worried about installing and using Linux give the Live CD a try. IT'll let you get a feel fo rthe interface of Ubuntu before you go for a full blown install.

Now only if PC's could catch up with Mac's styling the world would be a better place.

You like linux then?

Hey, YOU pay for Windows licenses for 13 computers then! (grin--not fair of course, because it doesn't cover the router, handheld, and NAS, but the point remains the same).

Besides, I love having little tiny devices with no screen or keyboard and virtually no power consumption, yet which happily serve up web pages and ssh prompts... that's just cool!

Mitch!!!

Don't do that :lol: . You know that WWDC is only a few days away and I can hardly take it. They reveal all the cool new stuff then and as of late it's been a bit hum-drum. I'm still waiting on the iMedia Mac.

My main system is a Mac. My PC's have ubuntu on them. Was a previous Slacker with Slackware.

Windows has been banned in my house. You just shouldn't be forced to have to run various sorts of scanners for viri, mal/spyware and trojans on your system. It eats up system resources that should be devoted to the application that you want to run. But, Windows users still make me lots of money when they cry and need help. :D

TheChefs said:
I use Ubuntu at home on my old latop, XP/Ubuntu on my main PC, but I don't use it much. At work I use Ubuntu, CentOS and Red Hat. Considering that I've grew up on linux, solaris, sco unix, irix and other I don't really have any need to try OSX. I'm thinking about getting new laptop at the moment and one of the options is Apple, but I would still use linux on it 99% of the time.

Believe it or not I priced out a Dell and a macbook with the same (or close to the same specs) the macbook was actually about $100 cheaper and IMO a far better computer from a hardware standpoint. The Dell's I see co-workers use suck, they just feel flimsy, the macs always feel very solid and well built.

What's funny to think is that 3-4 years ago I would have called anyone using a mac a fool.... times change.

I started to switch from Microsoft back in 2001 or so when I bought a Ti Powerbook. I made the full switch last year with the purchase of a Powermac G5 system. The wife's not crazy about it, but she doesn't realize the total absence of virus and spyware problems (or the wonderful Unix-y underpinnings). I'm running the almost most recent version of OSX Tiger BTW.

I will be selling all my computers listed above once Apple comes out with a third gen of their Intel based laptops. Then I can be rather sure that the hardware, design and OS are better "finished." It's never advised to buy a first or second gen hardware model if such a swith towards Intel takes place.

I must admit I do love the design of all of their computers, and I think MacOSX is a very nice OS from a layout perspective but I when I buy a new computer, I want it to be finished without the small and big diseases of a new gen computer.

Once I have a Mac and my computers are sold, I will buy either a PS3, XBOX360 or a WII (maybe a combination) to satisfy my gaming needs although it has been a few months ago since I turned on a PC or PS2 based game.

I will be selling all my computers listed above once Apple comes out with a third gen of their Intel based laptops. Then I can be rather sure that the hardware, design and OS are better "finished." It's never advised to buy a first or second gen hardware model if such a swith towards Intel takes place.

I too am waiting for the next iteration of MacBooks. Right now, I'm stuck with a Powerbook G4 which works fine, but is getting a little bogged down by some of my more power-hungry applications.

I look forward to having a computer that can run any OS. Even though I'll do 99% of my work in OS X, I'll still probably go nuts and install both Windows and Ubuntu anyway. :tongue_sm

I have a twin 2.3ghz PowerPC G5 and I'm often stunned by it's performance compared to the PCs at work and my 1ghz iBook. If apple apply the Intel technology in the way that the have with the MacBook then they will be dazzlingly fast!

John, I do agree with you with the performance of the PowerPC G5 etc but the issue that Apple will now have is that the exact same power is available for all PC's, making it harder for Apple to distinguish themselves from the rest on that area.

However seen the fact that Apple masters trendsetting, creating completely new markets with some of their products and use superior product designs etc, I think Apple will remain successfull, even when using hardware that is available for other types of computers.

Indeed, Apple was motivated to finally switch to Intel because IBM (producers of G5 PowerPC chips) wasn't increasing their chips' speeds fast enough to keep up with Intel and AMD. Apple needed to switch to Intel chips in order to stay competitive. Being in the field of Mac software development myself, I was a little terrified of the switch at first. But these days, things are looking better than ever for the Mac. :)

As nice as the Intel chips have been for Apple, for me the real advantage to the Mac is the elegance of the user experience.

Whenever I need to work on a PC, I'm bummed by the clunkiness of the feel of the OS--it just seems more awkward and not nearly as user-friendly. And God help you if you need to do anything but run your software--installation, deleting a program; it all seems to require an advanced degree or an IT consultant to get it straightened out.

My university has pretty dismal computer support for Mac users, but fortunately it doesn't really matter. When I got my new MacBook Pro, it took about an hour to transfer all of my data and files from my TiBook, and the user experience was *exactly* the same on the new machine as the old one--except faster, especially on Universal apps.

And while I agree intellectually with Ashe on waiting for gen 2 or 3 machines to work the kinks out, I must confess that I'm happy to be an early adopter--I'll put up with a few growing pains and excellent customer service (Apple is replacing a supposedly defective battery on my MBP, and it will be fast, free and painless) for the joy of having this new machine in my hot little hands NOW!!!:biggrin:

mrob said:
As nice as the Intel chips have been for Apple, for me the real advantage to the Mac is the elegance of the user experience.

Whenever I need to work on a PC, I'm bummed by the clunkiness of the feel of the OS--it just seems more awkward and not nearly as user-friendly. And God help you if you need to do anything but run your software--installation, deleting a program; it all seems to require an advanced degree or an IT consultant to get it straightened out.

My university has pretty dismal computer support for Mac users, but fortunately it doesn't really matter. When I got my new MacBook Pro, it took about an hour to transfer all of my data and files from my TiBook, and the user experience was *exactly* the same on the new machine as the old one--except faster, especially on Universal apps.

And while I agree intellectually with Ashe on waiting for gen 2 or 3 machines to work the kinks out, I must confess that I'm happy to be an early adopter--I'll put up with a few growing pains and excellent customer service (Apple is replacing a supposedly defective battery on my MBP, and it will be fast, free and painless) for the joy of having this new machine in my hot little hands NOW!!!:biggrin:
At least the Macbooks aren't exploding on us.

I too used to be a Mac hater a few years ago. Out of my own frustration of having to sacrifice my system's resources just to keep it on turned me to the Mac mini when they first came out. Now it's all about the Macbook Pro's, the iMac, and that darned mini!

Top Bottom