What's new

Non alcoholic spirits--there are some good ones!

I saw the non-alcoholic beer thread and was thinking about this. I actually have a pretty well-stocked liquor cabinet in my office, but everything in there is 0.5% or below. And there is actually some pretty good stuff! The CleanCo company makes an outstanding Jamaican style rum that I like blended with Collins mix. Has anyone else had any experience with 0% bottles? Controversial subject I know, but I like it.

I never knew these existed. I thought it was just beer. Will check it out as I have issues with drinking too much. Thanks for the post.

I like some non-alcoholic drinks, such as a virgin margarita. However, one thing I would avoid is non-alcoholic wine. Just nasty. I have had some good non-alcoholic beers.

My wife is in favor of Gordon’s 0.0 for some G&T experience. Straight up it’s awful but mixed with a good Tonic you get some nice juniper notes.

Crodino and Crodino bionda are super nice alternatives to Campari or Aperol Soda. In the same line you can find some NA offerings (Floreale & Vibrante) from Martini as well.

What's the point?

Cocktails play a role in daily or situational rituals, sociability, conviviality, celebration, remembrance, and so on. Being able to participate with a pleasing or satisfying flavor profile offers a certain satisfaction and fullness that "just water, please" doesn't always provide.

I'm a fan of non-alcoholic beverages for many reasons (@haggis has named some of them perfectly) and there are a few I've grown to love:

Spiritless Kentucky 74 - I find that there is just no such thing as a N/A whiskey substitute, but this one comes darned close. Smokey and flavorful, it mixes beautifully and still manages to yield whiskey-adjacent flavors to N/A whiskey-centric cocktails.

Ritual Zero-Proof Aperitif - The Ritual brand uses capsicum to substitute for the burn of alcohol - a stroke of genius I find to be utterly delightful on the palate. It's especially good in their tequila alternative and in this aperitif. The aperitif is wonderfully bitter and punchy (orange angostura bitters kicks it up nicely), and perfect for use in a N/A or Low-Alc Boulevardier.

I know this is a thread about spirits, but I'll just mention two additional N/A brews ...

Guinness 0% - The visual cascade of the head in pouring, the scent, and the flavor all echo some of the best of the original. I reach for one of these frosty fellows pretty frequently.

Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPA - This brand has many, many good offerings, but this one has become a staple at our house. Satisfying and flavorful, sufficiently hoppy and not at all watery, for me this is a great year-round N/A beer.

Pleasant N/A offerings seem to have emerged more rapidly in the past 5 years than ever before. I have found much to try and enjoy in this emerging golden-age of the art form, but those listed above are my most frequently enjoyed. For people in my life and for the work I do, I find it important to stay "sharp" in the evenings and these beverages are a delightful part of that lifestyle.

I have been reallly, really impressed with the number of options that are out there--our local Total Wine has an entire section dedicated to the subject now, and I've ordered a few bottles from out-of-country that have amazing flavor profiles. One of my absolute favorites is from the Enjoy Mocktails company, under their 'Red Label'--it's a flavorful 'whiskey' with a very noticeable mimicked punch at the end. Good sipping option for a rainy night in front of the fireplace, when properly mixed.

Top Bottom